+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 6/24 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Re: 6/24 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

We had an explosion down the street a few hours ago and lost our electricity until now, so I missed the first 50 minutes of the show. Waaaaaah. Hope I didn't miss anything awesome and I REALLY hope there are some killer dances in the last half.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

So, here is what I think based on my interpretation of technique (trying to be objective here) overall:

BEST:
    Brandon and Janette
    Evan and Randi
    (As a partnership these were the only couples who met the 'technique' standard overall.)

Individual:
    Brandon and Karla- I know some people argue that there is not a lot of 'technique' involved in hip-hop but I think thats crap...call it 'digging', 'swagger', 'groove' or whatever...but good hip-hop requires skill (and brandon (who woulda thought) and karla can 'get down').
    Randi (benefitted from the style)

WORST
    Asuka-She demonstrated tonight that she may not be able to break that ballroom mold...she just can't capture the movement required in contemporary/jazz routines. The way I describe it to my husband is like this:
    Ballroom dancers have to be able to throw off their technique when they get this style...they have to move like they have NO BONES! I pointed out to him the bends she did in the dance (bending forward and back). The correct way is to throw yourself into it...where the average person goes "WHOA, that looks uncomfortable." This is what normally evokes the emotion because it is extreme and different. I haven't seen many ballroom dancers who can get it the way Mia et al expect (think Lacey when she did the Elise routine). Anyhow, back to the point, Asuka's performance was dissapointing.
    Johnathon- I really like him but he was off beat and did not quite get the swagger. Plus, Karla was so exceptional she likely made him seem worse.
    Kupono, Jason, Caitlin-Sorry guys, but ballroom was a struggle for all of you. Rise and fall, digging in the heels, etc... (I wish we had pasha or dimitri around this season with the choreography these dancers are getting).

Now, my subjective thoughts:

1- Karla & Johnathan: Last week sealed the deal for me...but tonight they (well, johnathon) struggled a bit. BUT, on a positive note, I really think these two are both genuinely nice folks and they don't seem to play it up for the cameras or any of that other nonsense.

2- Asuka & Vitolio: Not very good. I was expecting the judges to slam them but then Nigel's pen*s got in the way again. I hate the fact that he harps over some of the girls...it is quite disgusting. Also, I, too, dislike Asuka because she seems a bit conceited (who knows, she might be the most humble girl in the world but she seems full of herself to me). I do like Vitolio, although, as a previous poster mentioned, many think he is the off-putting one.

3- Ade & Melissa: Yea, it wasn't perfect but I felt like it was real and I love when a dance makes me feel uncomfortable.

4- Brandon & Janette: I really liked the fusion of styles and I really, really liked Brandon. Very impressive.

5- Kupono & Kayla: Poor Kupono- carriage? center? footwork (ball, heel) = all pretty bad. They lucked out with awesome (even mesmerizing) choreography. Overall, however, I am just not feeling these two anymore.

6- Evan & Randi: It was cute but I am not sure I was in love with the choreography...Mia is capable of so much more.

7- Jason & Caitlin: Simply put, the music was bigger than them...

8- Janine & Phillip: It was okay...I liked it but I wasn't particularly moved or anything.

Prediction of Bottom three?!?!:
    Asuka and Vitolio (my bottom)
    Karla and Johnathon
    Jason and Caitlin/Kupono and Kayla (my bottom).

PLEASE, copy and paste this with your thoughts. I only have a basic knowledge of dance (when I was little and such) but I truly believe with the proliferation of the dance industry (through media) that most folks have a decent uderstanding of the styles...so critique away!

My thoughts just on tonight's performances...

TOP OF THE PACK
    Brandon & Janette (hip hop)
    Evan & Randi (contemporary butt) - I LOVED both of these couples tonight. Great routines, great dancing!!
    ETA - I just went back and watched Randi and Evan again and I was even more impressed. I'm not sure the other couples could have pulled off that routine like they did!
    Ade & Melissa (rhumba) - They did a great job and are still solidly near the top tonight for me also. I never think Ade is that great in the little interview bits, but his dancing always impresses me!

MIDDLE OF THE PACK
    Kupono & Kayla (viennesse(sp!) waltz) - I really like Kupono's personality. I think Kayla is a great dancer but I'm getting tired of Nigel drooling all over her. It makes me feel like he has already decided she should win. The dance was pretty, but I'm no expert on the technique.
    Janine & Phillip (broadway) - I really like these two. The routine was okay, but it was broadway and those are rarely (if ever) great for me.
    Asuka & Vitolio (jazz) - Well danced, but I didn't really like the routine. It started pretty strong but they were out of sync a few times and I was not impressed by the jumps she did.
    Jason & Caitlin (paso doble) - They seemed to have the strong aspect down, but it almost felt awkwardly stiff to me. I had a hard time reconciling the Latin style with the kind of Roman theme they seemed to have going on.

BOTTOM OF THE PACK
    Karla & Johnathan (hip hop) - Sadly I thought this pair was definitely at the bottom of the pack tonight. I expected to like their routine but it was off from the beginning and just fell flat for me.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 06-25-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;3523905;
    We had an explosion down the street a few hours ago and lost our electricity until now, so I missed the first 50 minutes of the show. Waaaaaah. Hope I didn't miss anything awesome and I REALLY hope there are some killer dances in the last half.
    WHOA! do you know what happened? Everyone you know okay? Sorry to hear about that!

If you have any questions I saw the whole episode!

the only thing that could possibly meet the standard of awesomness was the wicked feeling the viewers may have gotten when they watched ade and his lady get down in the rumba.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;3523905;
    Oh my, I hope no one was hurt!

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3523927;
    WHOA! do you know what happened? Everyone you know okay? Sorry to hear about that!

If you have any questions I saw the whole episode!

the only thing that could possibly meet the standard of awesomness was the wicked feeling the viewers may have gotten when they watched ade and his lady get down in the rumba.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher
    Oh my, I hope no one was hurt!
    Thanks guys, The City was doing some work on a retaining wall or something and hit a gas line. Whoopsie. One of their big Caterpillars (sp) caught on fire and exploded, but thankfully, no one was injured.

Thanks for your concern. I'll just read the beginning of the thread to see what I missed.

Again, thanks.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3523485;
    I thought the best rumba was Season 3's Dom and Sabra.
    ITA. Great routine, great song (Stickwitu), great performance. I watched that routine over and over again, my favorite of Season 3.

FORT Fanatic

The only ones that I strongly felt should be bottom 3 were Jonathon and his partner, but judging from what the judges said, Phillip & Jason could also be there. I don't find I'm as fond of this years couples as last year's.

FORT Fogey

Great recaps Mindy and ClosetRTWatcher! I'll add some of my own in here.

Karla and Jonathan - Hip Hop by Dave Scott: C+
    Not bad, but not quite together and they didn't really burn up the stage. In competition this tough, that just ain't good enough, especially when you are dancing first. They are certain to be in the bottom three. I know the judges would like to keep them around to see if they can equal their great contemporary number from last week.

Asuka and Vitolio - Jazz by Mandy Moore: B-
    I know some will love this but I wasn't wild about the number and Asuka and Vitolio didn't push the performance to the level required to make me rethink my opinion of the choreography. It was modern and rock, but the story/characters/attitude just lost me. Very possible bottom three material here.

Melissa and Ade - Rumba by Tony Meredith: A-
    First class effort by M&A, but a so-so rumba from Tony, IMHO. Melissa continues to impress in every style and Ade was a superb partner. Very nice work here, but I like more "rumba" in my rumba.

Janette and Brandon - Hip Hop by Dave Scott: B+
    Brandon continues to blaze through this competition. His hip-hop was shockingly good. Janette looks lackluster in comparison. (I'm talking about this style, of course; last week she was on fire in the disco number).

Kayla and Kupono - Viennese waltz by Jean-Marc: B-
    If you hadn't told me at the beginning that this was a Viennese Waltz, I never would have guessed. It just looked like a regular waltz/contemporary number done at a slightly faster tempo. Moving past that little hang-up of mine, it was a lovely number, but Kupono is looking a bit like the weakest link here, and I think if they end up in the bottom three (which they probably will) he may be gone.

Randi and Evan - Contemporary by Mia Michaels: A
    Cute number, yes - but it was Mia Michaels cute which is light years away from Tyce Diorio cute. Clever, inventive, unpredictable - Mia manages to make her dancers embody our humanness, without turning them into "characters". Randi and Evan took Mia's oddness, and infused it with their own personality and star quality. The result was the best number in a rather lackluster night. These two are headed into the final four - mark my words! Seriously, I am already picturing Brandon-Melissa-Evan-Randi. Hmmm... what do you think?

Caitlin and Jason - Paso Doble by Jean-Marc: B-
    I've been giving out lots of B minuses tonight, huh? They started remarkably strong: The jump; the lift; the costumes. But the music went on (Carmina Burana? Really, Jean-Marc?? You think we need another Carmina Burana number??), and Jason just wasn't up to the technique and high drama. Caitlin did better, but not enough to keep this from feeling a bit too pretentious.

Jeanine and Phillip - Broadway by Tyce: B
    Almost gave this one a B- as well, but the difference is that this number worked. It was the choreography that didn't quite get off the ground for me, but that is not J&P's fault. They sold it and I bought it. Still, it was a good performance of an unremarkable number. But that, plus the fact that they danced last should keep them safe.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 06-25-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3523651;
    Don't know if it's been mentioned yet - but Nigel had surgery on his shoulder this week. He was MIA during the New Orleans audtiions this weekend, resting up so he could do the show tonight. So, I'll cut him a little slack tonight.
    I'd heard that it was for a hernia operation and that he was very out of it for a good part of the show. They should have shown that or at least explained it so his crazy remarks and the faces he made (the one in the very beginning where he tried to hypnotize Mary into agreeing with him) made more sense. Regardless of the version, the end result is that he was evidently on some massive pain pills.

When I heard that Karla was doing hip hop early yesterday morning, I was so excited! I've been wanting her to get the chance to do her other specialty and then I heard that it wasn't very good and I got worried for her. I had every reason to get worried. That was not good. at. all. However, I don't really blame her. I blame the choreographer for that mess. What the the heck was it? There was very little actual dancing in that routine. Did he dumb it down for Jonathon? Why do they feel the need to do that? Give them the routine and either they sink or swim but don't dumb it down so both partners suffer. I also feel that Karla held herself back so not to make it so obvious how badly Jonathon was doing. In spite of all that, I don't see them in the bottom three this week. I think the nastiness that came out of Nigel's mouth regarding them will save them. Voter backlash. However, I'm rarely right *HA!* so we'll see tonight.

Asuka (I keep thinking of the jedi from Clone Wars every time I see her name.....yes, my child watches way too much Star Wars) and Vitolio. Another not so good routine that I blame on the choreographer. These dancers can only do so much when they are given complete crap to work with. That was a mess, the steps made no sense and didn't flow. Why is it that the judges trash the dancers but say nothing about the mess that they are handed? These two have proven that they can step up to the challenge, so how about giving them something good to work with? Other than that, it wasn't BAD per say but it wasn't GOOD either because the routine stunk (not their fault).

Ade/Melissa - This was nice but yet ANOTHER routine that I felt the choreographer let his dancers down on. It was without a doubt one of the most boring rumba's I've ever seen. They danced it very well but they weren't given many thrilling things to do. Another wasted opportunity and another couple that has proven that they can do more. Was Tony handicapped because his partner wasn't there to inspire him? Not sure but I didn't like what they were given. I liked what they did with it though and thought that Ade/Melissa showed a fluidity that impressed the heck out of me. Nicely done.

And this is the point where I stopped watching. Why you ask? Because I cannot stand Tony Basil. Since I was watching it live, I couldn't FF past her asinine comments and it got to the point where I simply couldn't take it anymore. I was ready to hurl something through my screen when she said street one too many times....that being the second time she said it. She annoys me more than any other judge does. So I'll watch the rest tonight.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 06-25-2009 at 08:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread