+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ade Obayomi - SYTYCD 5

Re: Ade Obayomi - SYTYCD 5

Just adding to the Ade love here. I think it's a longshot for him to make toup four over Brandon and Evan, but there's a quiet strength to his dancing that I really think is cool to watch.
    So, you know what it means when your ears turn red...

FORT Newbie

I love Ade. I want him to win this!!

I had to post this here though. I do not want to post anything that isnt allowed, but yesterday on a live journal, there was a posting with "artistic" pictures of Ade from a website that is not safe for work. And there was one of Jonathon as well. if i can post the link someone tell me.
    Last edited by aelinora; 07-27-2009 at 05:41 AM.

And apparently, he posted those pictures a week ago. Wow, who would be stupid enough to post naked pictures of him/herself while they're filming a reality show? Do they not know what happened to Frenchie? (But then again, Antonella didn't suffer the same fate).

I wonder what will happen to him. I'm sure he can stay on the show, since we're already down to the Top6. But a part of me wishes that he'll go and Jason will come back.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Newbie

where do you see that he posted them a week ago. Probably someone who had the pictures posted them a week ago, not Ade. I know this is a Fox show but I doubt he would leave or be asked to leave. I will say the show has a strange slight homophobic tint, Nigel with his emphasis every season on "guys should dance like guys" and his discomfort with androgynous men and the two men dancing ballroom. Ive watched the whole show every season and every other week there is always a comment about how much he likes what he terms "masculine" dancing, even the comments about Evan's asexuality.

Someone on another forum said that he posted them a week ago.

ETA: Actually no, I read the post again. He said they were really recent, either from yesterday or from the day before. Wow, that's even worse.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Ha! This will probably get him jobs. Unless his career goal is to dance at Disneyland. Seriously, dancers are not movie or pop stars. Nobody knows who they are or care about their personal lives. They are hired based on looks and dancing ability. Worst case is he is voted off next week - and I'd say the chances of that happening are 50/50 anyway. This affects him not at all. He goes on the tour and goes off on his dance career.

FORT Newbie

But there are three photos of him on that site, two are incredibly sexually graphic and suggestive . Why on earth did he think he should post his you know what, and the other side of the you know what, during the top four week on a national program? Makes no sense. Those are the kinds of photos you see on gay sex sites. Not exactly the kinds of photos you take when you want to win a competition on a tv show.Its so self destructive it makes no sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by aelinora;3619822;
    ...Not exactly the kinds of photos you take when you want to win a competition on a tv show. Its so self destructive it makes no sense.
    First of all, we don't know that they are pictures of Ade. There is no identifying information and no one has linked them back to Ade. There is half of a face that looks like him. That's it. This is thin ice because as any police detective knows, people often "see" what they think they should see. In other words, you know what Ade looks like, so your mind fills in the rest of the details so you "see" Ade. You don't know what "Fred Smith" looks like, so even if it is actually a picture of Fred, your mind won't make that connection. At this point what we have here is a Scandal of the Imagination.

Given all that, I am seeing this in a different context than you are, aelinora. I'll try to explain my point of view, just so we can talk about it along with yours and everyone else's.

This isn't American Idol.
    If this was an AI contestant - I would agree with your concern 100%. AI has actually booted early contestants for bad publicity like this.

But there is a huge difference between AI and SYTYCD contestants: $$$ The AI finalists make a really good living during their year on the show. In addition to performing fees, they share in the iTunes revenue for thier songs - so the longer they can stay in the show the more $$$ they are going to get. We don't know yet where Adam and Kris will end up at the end of the year - but let's say they do as well as David & David from the previous year. Both David's had hit singles and released good selling albums in the fall. They each cleared more than $1 million last year. This year they have been touring constantly and are prepping new albums. They should each easily clear more than $2 million this year.

Dancers are the blue collar workers of the performing arts. They need more training, more practice, risk more injuries, and do real work that actually makes them sweat. But there is not a lot of money. There is no download revenue. ALmost all of their income this year will come from the tour. After that they are on their own. No recording royalties for them - they actually have to go out and get another job. And if they can get more than union minimum they will be lucky.

The point being, there is a lot less future earnings at risk for a SYTYCD dancer, than for an AI singer.

The Dance world is Body-Positive and Gay-Positive
    Nudity is not an issue in the dance world. Dancers are often featured as models in art photography. (That's real art photos; not sexy "art photos".) The body is thier instrument, and they are very comfortable with it. No choreographer or company worth working for is going to be bothered by nude photos. And of course the dance world has been accepting of gay people just about forever. No one is going to be "shocked" learning about a dancer's sexual orientation.

The Lesson of A Chorus Line
    Audiences emotionally bond with actors and singers. Dancers, not so much. Dancers spend most of their career as faceless bodies serving a choreographer. While an audience may be distracted by the personal life of an actor or pop singer, I can't think of any example of a dancer's career ended by scandal. People just don't care.

Given the above, I see this as something fans may buzz about for two weeks, but ultimately it has no long term affect on Ade. Basically because, in short, the only negative consequence the fans can inflict is to keep him out of the finale. And, as previous seasons have shown, the career difference between being #6 and #1 on this show is insignifigant.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

<-- agreeing 200&#37; with TCDC.

(Were we separated at birth or something?!?!? )

All the stuff you say is actually very true. Dancers aren't in the limelight, so nude pictures won't change their career too drastically.

But being on a show where the dancers are the main focus, it could possibly hurt Ade if this gets out to the public. And if it really is him. The problem right now isn't Ade's future, it's his present (oh gosh, how cheesy does that sound? ). I doubt this will get out to the public, but if it did and Ade managed to stay on the show, then I'm sure there will be a few complaints. Nothing on the Antonella-level, since SYTYCD isn't as big of a show. But there could be a few.

But then again, Ade has a good chance of going home this week anyway. Brandon fans are going to power vote after they saw him land in the bottom. And Evan fans are untouchable. That leaves Ade, who can only survive if he lands great choreography.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast