+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phillip Chbeeb - SYTYCD 5

Re: Phillip Chbeeb - SYTYCD 5

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3551562;
    Phillip is an expert at his own style, but I don't like him in other styles - he's just not good enough. He should have gone home after his ballroom week. He is very goofy looking and I find that distracting. Also, when he does his own style, some of the moves he does with his body really creep me out. Please send Phillip home NOW.
    You know, I think this is actually one of the things I like about him. When they talk about how his is outside of the competition, he sounds like a big nerd - like someone I might work with since I am in a technical field. I like the idea of a goofy/nerdy guy who can dance like Philip does; it is unexpected and interesting. It isn't enough to make me vote for him if he dances poorly, but it is definitely enough to make me like him as a person!!

Good God, what on earth was that dreadful Russian dance they got stuck with last night?
    Appalling.
    They both did their best, but they looked like fools.
    If they'd done that in the auditions they'd never had made it to choreography, let alone Vegas.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I don't really see how dancing a traditional folk dance like this makes them look "foolish."

It's not as impressive without a team of dancers, true.

Maybe I can appreciate it more because I'm Polish and have loved to go see Polish folk dancing teams my whole life. The style is very similar.

Do I think traditional folk dancing belonged in the show? Probably not. I do appreciate the attempt at working it in, but hopefully they won't try again. Maybe a GROUP dance, however, THAT would be cool.

I'm perfectly capable of appreciating different styles of dance, and yes, I thought at points during the dance the steps were so basic that they did look ridiculous
    "That's Numberwang!"

I love Russian folk dance, but I think the choreographer was limited by what Phillip could handle. Twitch and someone did a great one last year. Think the bar scene in Fiddler On the Roof as a good example of it. We used to see a lot of it when the old Moiseyev dance troup came to the U.S.A. to tour years ago. I don't think they exist anymore.

Several of the street dancers have been able to grow into excelling at other styles. Phillip is very good at what he does, but as yet he hasn't shown he can do more than a so-so job at anything else.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123