+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Brandon Bryant - SYTYCD 5

Re: Brandon Bryant - SYTYCD 5

Not that it pertains specifically to this dancer, but if we're talking about choreographers, I liked Mandy Moore's piece last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3493325;
    I don't care for him. I understand where Mia was coming from.. But I completely abhor the way she treated him.
    Uncalled for :nono
    I totally agree...she was a total bi^&@ to him. While I think he is a great technical dancer...I don't like him. He has this cockyness to him (I know..other dancers do too) but it's just the way he presents himself....I would like him to prove me wrong...but I just don't like him. I think I like them more rough around the edges I guess...

FORT Fogey

I like Brandon so I don't get the judges' comments either. Mia has always been hostile towards certain dancers so you have to take some of her comments with a grain of salt.

I thought their foxtrot last night was the bomb! Both Brandon and his partner were so graceful!

FORT Regular

I really like him and I think he did well last night.

I also think the smile was just a coping mechanism. Wouldn't Mia have been annoyed if he looked angry as well?? Sometimes you have to let things roll off of your back if it seems like you can't do anything to change their mind!

Here's a post from busilis32 that came from the 6/4 Discussion Thread. I thought it provided some good insight about Mia's harsh criticism towards Brandon:

Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;3488156;
    Brandon, like Danny two seasons ago, and Will last season, has that stoic demeanor that a lot of dancers have, and it gets mistaken for arrogance. What Mia did to Brandon is not unheard of. It just doesn't happen in public. If this is not a stunt to create good will towards him, Mia is being extremely unprofessional. But if berating Brandon is a stunt, it could backfire as much as pimping people. There are people already saying that they see what Mia is talking about and Brandon is arrogant. People like Brandon do not make for good television. They don't blubber and cry, and they don't play for the cameras. Their dancing speaks for itself, but it is not enough for something like this show. I bet Tony Bellissimo (Is that his real last name? Talk about creating expectations) will last longer than Brandon and a lot of others. He is cute and come across as vulnerable. The girls will love him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top ten.
    Thank goodness that the last part of the post didn't come true.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Newbie

Man, I love this kid.

Now I know why Mia hates him so. It's almost TOO easy for him. He is a great style mimic. Did you see how he was mirroring the chorographer almost instantly? Mia is one of those who feel you have to "suffer" for your art. And he doesn't have to.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by shanny;3527825;
    Man, I love this kid.

Now I know why Mia hates him so. It's almost TOO easy for him. He is a great style mimic. Did you see how he was mirroring the chorographer almost instantly? Mia is one of those who feel you have to "suffer" for your art. And he doesn't have to.
    Ding, ding! Tell her what's she's won! I think you are right.

The chorographer seemed facinated by Brandon's ability to just watch and do. I hope it all is that easy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3493222;
    I love Brandon, and don't understand Mia's issues either (and also whichever other judge it was who finds Brandon boring). ...
    Brandon seems to be a very polarizing dancer--I see people who love him, and a few who can't stand him (as a dancer).
    As for Mia, that's just the way she is; she says what she thinks and doesn't edit herself for television. A lot of people would like to see her be more helpful and tactful - which is a valid point, but is not likely to happen.

Personally, I love Brandon. I also loved William last year, and Danny before that, and Travis before that - (so at least I'm consistent!)

All of these guys have a foundation of classical training, and are extremely talented and expressive dancers. There is an emphasis in ballet training on balance, posture, and maintaining a "center" for perfect spins and turns. This gives these dancers a "regal" bearing - head held high; body in alignment.

In the last century, modern, then jazz dance broke free of those conventions. (Bob Fosse, for example, had his dancers hunch their shoulders and turn in their feet.) Folk and street dancing put even more distance between "popular" dance and the western classical tradition.

I think we are seeing something of a class war play out on SYTYCD, both in the choreographers and the audience. Some see the upright stoic posture of a classically tortured trained dancer and read that as "snob". As a matter of fact, that was Adam Shankman's exact word for Danny the first time he judged him. I think that is unfortunate, because as Brandon (and Danny and Travis and William) demonstrates, you can throw any style at these guys and they will absorb it quickly. (Remember Danny and Lacy's samba from Season 3 - "Hip-Hip Chin-Chin"? Hot!)

So far, Brandon has done a foxtrot, disco, and hip-hop. He has never yet had his own style, but he has been superlative in each venture. Can't we just leave the guy alone and let him dance?
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 06-28-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Brandon and Jeannette's hip hop by Dave Scott was one of the most FUN routines I've seen in awhile. Brandon just nailed it. Good for him! I can't wait to see what his next style will be.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Who is John Galt?

Brandon is an enigma to me. When he is dancing, he is fabulous. He is strong and masculine with great partnering skills. However, when he speaks he is quite feminine with exaggerated facial expressions, which is a bit of a turn-off for me. That may be why Mia doesn't like him (altho she seems to favor other gay dancers). That being said, he is a joy to watch and definitely IMO one of the best,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast