+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melissa Sandvig - SYTYCD 5

Re: Melissa Sandvig - SYTYCD 5

Doggone excellent dancing!!!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RubyPhoenix;3495054;
    Only if Alex Wong could have stayed on the show. It would have been amazing to see both a female and male ballet dancer on the show, and if they were to ever have been paired together, I would have loved to watch it! Melissa is just great!
    ITA - I find it odd that Nigyl is always commenting about how strong she is & that if he didn't know she was a ballarina he'd never guess. My 10 yo dd's dance teacher taught early on that ballet is the foundation for everything else. Also, ballet dancers have incredible strength in those bodies.

So while watching the show tonight, I was actually hoping Melissa would be eliminated. I can't put my finger on it, but I guess that I have grown to like Jeanine and Janette more than her. I still like Melissa, but now she's my least favorite girl.

And while I'm at it, the cancer dance is a little overrated. It was beautifully danced, and Tyce actually put out a decent number after all the bad pieces he has done.

But honestly, if it wasn't dedicated to cancer, then would it be this popular? Would it get on the cover of Yahoo's homepage? I think not. It would just be another good dance done on this show. And if it hadn't garnered some much attention and so much emotion, then I think Melissa and Ade probably would have been out this week.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Crossing Guard, I thought the same thing and wondered if anyone else did too! I did NOT find the cancer dance to be all that moving--if we hadn't been told the subject matter, I would have never guessed.
    I'm tired of Melissa too, and wish it had been her sent home last night.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3606441;
    Crossing Guard, I thought the same thing and wondered if anyone else did too! I did NOT find the cancer dance to be all that moving--if we hadn't been told the subject matter, I would have never guessed.
    I'm tired of Melissa too, and wish it had been her sent home last night.
    I didn't like it that much either. Well, I liked it, but not as much as everyone else does. I don't know what's wrong with me this season, because I'm not loving all of the routines that everyone else loves. For example, I didn't get what the fuss was about over Travis Wall's routine for Jeanine and Jason. I thought it was just good. Same with the cancer dance.

I think it's great that Tyce dedicated a number to his friends, it's awfully sweet of him. But if he hadn't said anything about the backstory, then I probably wouldn't have known either. Maybe I could have, since Melissa had a headwrap on. But if he hadn't had said anything about the cancer backstory, then people wouldn't have known for sure, and they wouldn't have felt inclined to vote. Also, the judges wouldn't have lost it by being so emotional.

Fortunately, it was a good enough piece, and I'm not going to hate it. It's not like Mia's dead daddy piece (I know it's a mean name, but I didn't create it; that's what it's known as all over the web), where the dance sucked but the backstory is what held people in. If Mia hadn't said anything, then the judges probably would have critiqued it for having virtually no dance steps. It was just flailing around in flowers.

I will, however, hate how much coverage the cancer dance is getting. It's like people are just going to take notice of something or love something just because of it's background. I admit that I did with the dead daddy dance. I fell for the trick, but when I watched it again, the dance sucked.

This is going to sound so mean, but a choreographer can just claim that their pieces have some special background, and America and the judges are just going to eat it up.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 07-24-2009 at 06:40 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3606448;
    For example, I didn't get what the fuss was about over Travis Wall's routine for Jeanine and Jason. I thought it was just good.
    I am with you on the Jason/Jeanine piece. Didn't hate, but didn't think it was all that either. Well danced, but nothing truly special.

I think people would have still gotten the mesage of the cancer dance without the backstory. When they showed Melissa before the commercial break, I thought she looked like a cancer patient. They also didn't spend awhole lot of time sharing the backstory...nothing like the Daddy Dance, anyway. I thought is was a beautifully choreographed and danced piece that was perfect for Melissa and Ade to perform.

Different folks are moved in different ways. We get to experience so much through dance. That's what's great about this show.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;3607044;
    I am with you on the Jason/Jeanine piece. Didn't hate, but didn't think it was all that either. Well danced, but nothing truly special.

I think people would have still gotten the mesage of the cancer dance without the backstory. When they showed Melissa before the commercial break, I thought she looked like a cancer patient. They also didn't spend awhole lot of time sharing the backstory...nothing like the Daddy Dance, anyway. I thought is was a beautifully choreographed and danced piece that was perfect for Melissa and Ade to perform.

Different folks are moved in different ways. We get to experience so much through dance. That's what's great about this show.
    Maybe a good amount of people would have been able to catch on to the backstory just based on the dance and the wardrobe, but they wouldn't have been for sure about it.

But since Tyce did mention that he was dedicating it to two women with cancer, people knew for sure. And people were touched more by the dance because of the backstory.

It was a good dance, so I won't knock the choreography. But because the backstory was mentioned, people were touched even more than they would have been if Melissa and Ade just danced it with no information given whatsoever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12