+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karla Garcia - SYTYCD 5

FORT Regular

Re: Karla Garcia - SYTYCD 5

From the Philippine Entertainment Portal,

PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz | News | Fil-Am Karla Garcia gets a shot to become "America&#39;s Favorite Dancer" in <em>So You Think You Can Dance</em>

From her sister Kai Garcia, here's more about Karla:

"Karla Puno Garcia grew up in Oxon Hill, Maryland, a suburb of the Washington, DC Metropolitan area. She received her dance training at Fran's Studio of Dance and started competing nationally at the age of six, copping a number of dance titles throughout her elementary (St. Columba School) and high school (Bishop Ireton) years.

"She performed with Debbie Allen in Brothers of the Knight, a Kennedy Center production, and at the 2001 NBA All-Star Game at the MCI Center. She received a scholarship to New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, where she obtained a BFA in Dance with a minor in Journalism. Karla became dance chair and choreographer for the International Filipino Association (IFA) dance team at NYU.

"During her final year of college, she landed a spot on the Broadway show Hot Feet through an open call for dancers in New York City. She was the youngest cast member (20 years old at that time) of this dance musical set to the hits of Earth, Wind, and Fire. She has performed at Carnival NY and LA with Yussuf Nassir, Jonathan McGill, and Bulletyme; and appeared at a 2007 Rite Aid Industrial. She recently shot the latest Lucille Roberts Fitness commercial.

"In 2007, she was a Las Vegas finalist on Fox's So You Think You Can Dance Season 3. Later that year, she was in the ensemble of the Rockettes show touring in Florida. From Florida, Karla immediately joined the National Tour of the Broadway hit Wicked, going on the road for seven months.

"Now residing in Brooklyn, New York, she teaches at select studios all over the east coast and continues to perform. She is a member of the Boogie Bots crew (from MTV's America's Best Dance Crew show, Season 2).

"Karla constantly strives for creative growth, as she aims to combine influences from her technical background with different textures of contemporary, jazz, and hip hop. She believes that dance is an evolving art, with room for new ideas, bold innovation and a myriad of cultural influences.

"She revels in the richness of her Filipino-American heritage and in the friends that inspire her. She thanks God for all the gifts He has given her."

VOTE FOR KARLA. In the coming weeks, Karla's fate in So You Think You Can Dance will depend on the viewers' votes. Whether she makes to the Top 10 or ultimately be the one to be judged "America's Favorite Dancer" will depend on the people watching the show. That's why Kai calls on all the Filipinos in the States to vote for Karla.

"Alas, the show is a popularity contest. It's a dance contest second. Hopefully people would vote as many times for Karla. We need to keep those votes in if we want to see more of Karla's dancing.

"We hope people will be in the loop specially our kababayans with relatives in the States to support her. Voting is free!" invites Kai.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WalaLang;3513642;
    Can't get over how beautiful Jonathan and Karla's number was last Tuesday. This couple has great chemistry and really look good together. Stacey Tookey is an awesome choreographer. Can't wait to see more of this cute couple.
    They remind me of how Dom & Sabra started off in their season. Had a bit of flat routine the first week ended up in the B3, and then just kept building week after week. I think it helped that we saw their solos so early in the competition. I hope that's how this pairing continues, because they hit it out of the park last week!

FORT Newbie

Hey! Search for the user spoonskaya on Youtube. Word is that that's Karla's Youtube account and it has a lot of amazing videos of her work and choreography. Wow, I really really hope she goes a long long way!! Good luck Karla!

Also, check out this interview with her and Gendance
    Last edited by Marleybone; 06-24-2009 at 09:52 AM.

They seem to have hit it off well. We'll see!

FORT Regular

It was not a very good night for Karla and Jonathan. He looked like he was really out of his comfort zone and there was no synchronization in their moves. I also thought that Karla may have held back a little so that Jonathan didn't look as bad. On the other hand, it was a slow hip hop so some of the judges' comments were not valid, IMO. Nigel was brutal to both of them, predicting them in B3 after the first dance of the night. I just thought the judges were harder on them than the other dancers who didn't perform as well. Maybe because they were expecting a lot from them after last week's stellar performance. I just hope they continue on because they do have a lot of promise, especially Karla.

FORT Newbie

Definitely not a good week for Karla, but at least she survived. I really thought she did well enough on her part of the hip-hop, but I totally see the desparation mode in her solo tonite. It's as if she's still shaken up from the Performance night. I hope she can really rebound back up w/ Vitolio, since her and V outdanced their respective partners on Wed.

i think this is her make or break week. I HOPE she can put out a stunning routine...she is much more memorable to me than say Jeannette or Jeanine.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Regular

Unfortunately,whether or not she pulled a great routine tonight (which BTW, I heard she did), her and Vitolio will still end up in B3 because their fan base is not as big as Philip, Evan or Kayla. I just hope that she does an awesome solo and that the judges keep her. With Mia as one of the judges, she might fight to keep Karla. I hope so.

FORT Newbie

Aww Karla! At least you did such a great job! I loved the quickstep and I'm so glad we were finally able to see that great Blackbird solo in High-Def!! I hope you will have a great future in dancing and please, come and dance/teach in Los Angeles again!

FORT Regular

Yes, even if she went home last night, she had a great week - dancing that entertaining QS and the best solo of the night. So the judges let one of the best dancers go. I keep forgetting that this show is about finding the most popular dancer, not the best dancer. After all, the most popular dancer is what sells tickets to the tour. As soon as I saw who she was up against, I knew she's gone.

But Karla will be fine - she's had the exposure. With her talent and her looks (she looked gorgeous last night), she'll go far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12