+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Judges - (Read this, TPTB! Nigel, this means you!)

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Re: Best Judges - (Read this, TPTB! Nigel, this means you!)

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballMomof4;3139922;
    I can't remember right at this moment what word he used, but it was a sound alike for the correct word, but had a totally different meaning. I just remember it stopped me in my tracks and I was like - "what did he just say?"

UncleDavid noticed the same thing, I just read his post about it in another thread.
    He did that a few times. I enjoyed and understood his commentary, but the misuse of words was definitely distracting.

He misused the words "oblivious" and "eloquent". I'm willing to let "eloquent" slide because they are always saying that dance is a language, but I do believe the word he was looking for was "elegant". His use of the word "oblivious" was just plain wrong, though - he commented to a pair of dancers, I can't remember who - that their dancing was "not oblivious". I think what he wanted to say might have been either a) that they were aware of the audience, or b) that they understood the meaning of their dance and projected it well. Either way, "oblivious" was used wrongly.
    2003-2008.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

I still really like Nigel and Mary and feel that - for the MOST part - they are fair when it comes to critiquing the dancers. Again, I said for the 'most part. I feel that they truly care for these kids and aren't out to steal the show with either rude or off-putting comments. Sure, they have their favorites just like the rest of us do and I imagine it's difficult not to let some of that bias slip on through to their comments. At the end of the day, though, they're a gazillion times better at doing what they do than the majority of similar reality show judges.

Mia, on the other hand, is sometimes blatantly mean-spirited with some of her comments and just plain ugly. I love, love, LOVE some of her choreography, but there have been times this season where I wanted to bitch-slap the woman and send her off to the naughty corner.

I like lil c and all, but he tends to go all philosophical with his comments and there were a couple of times when I went "Huh?" " after listening to him critique a dancer with his run-on of 18-syllable words.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

FORT Fan

I agree that Mia has been exceptionally mean spirited this season and I would definitely pay to watch you bitch slap her into the naughty corner. The visual on that has me laughing out loud! Thanks Jewelsy, I needed a good chuckle this afternoon!

ok NOW I'm giggling at my desk, picturing this! My co-workers are going to think I'm mental (well I am, but that's another story!)

I'll put some money down also! can we get a collection going?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3136649;
    One other thing...the judges (NIGEL) need to stop critiquing the costumes as part of their remarks to the dancers. They don't have a thing to say about it, so why make negative remarks to them about costuming?
    I sometimes wonder if Nigel isn't commenting on the costumes so the viewer can see past them. I think he realizes how shallow some of the voters can be (even sub-consciously) and some of the terrible costumes are very off-putting. By saying something about the costumes, he actually makes people think about them and perhaps look past them to the quality of the dance.

I think he does the opposite, whatever his intent. By saying something negative about the costumes, he puts negative thoughts in people's minds regarding the dancer(s).

Also, I think that when you say "I think he realizes how shallow...", I see the same thing and think, "Nigel assumes his audience are blind morons."

When Mary judges as a ballroom expert, I find her feedback valuable (though she is, naturally, nitpicky while I'm more inclined to enjoy a performance on its face), but somehow her screaming and assignations of hot tamale train have taken on a meaning beyond what's rational, where if she tells a couple they're on the train they jump and faint and celebrate, like it's an industry award. It's too much. Screaming at someone should not be a prize.

I don't care for Nigel's critiques of the dancers' personalities. I know he's not alone in doing so (see: Adam Shenkman and Danny Tidwell for the most egregious example) but I don't feel it's appropriate for the judges to say ANYTHING about the dancers' personalities because it's far too subjective. Critique the technique, but do not tell me someone is arrogant or lacking in personality. I'LL be the judge of that.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I think the greatest problem for the judges is dealing with the egos. The guest judge has to toe the line with Mary/Nigel because of THEIR egos. And ALL of the judges spend most of their time praising the crap out of the choreographers for their egos. Perhaps this was part of the problem with Will... they had a Debbie Allen ego to deal with and so had to be careful there as well.

Some downright honesty wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Oh, and just as an aside, I always love when they praise the heck out of Mia or one of the others, and the choreographer looks SOOO shocked and pleased... I mean, really, they should be getting somewhat used to it by now. It happens EVERY week!

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero;3144050;
    I don't care for Nigel's critiques of the dancers' personalities. I know he's not alone in doing so (see: Adam Shenkman and Danny Tidwell for the most egregious example) but I don't feel it's appropriate for the judges to say ANYTHING about the dancers' personalities because it's far too subjective. Critique the technique, but do not tell me someone is arrogant or lacking in personality. I'LL be the judge of that.
    Ring that bell and tell her what's she's won Johnny!(We really need an emoticon for this) I totally agree!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast