+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camerawork on this show

Camerawork on this show

I've always thought the camerawork was more aligned with a Van Damme or Seagal movie than a dance show. Lots of too-quick zooms in and out, quick back and forth movement, etc --- you know, the kind of thing that makes an average choreographed fist-fight into a crazed tussle.

And the kind of thing that makes an well choreographed dance, well ... a crazed tussle.

But this year is WAY worse. They are bad on the regular dances (albeit slightly better this week than last). But on the group numbers they are downright abysmal. Last night's routine could have been astounding, and could have been horrid. Unfortunately, we, the viewers, have no idea. They spun from one moving camera to another as often as 4 times a second at part of that dance. I couldn't find my favorite dancers to see how they were doing at all, and I couldn't get a grasp on what the routine looked like as a whole. It was choppy and frenetic, and did a HUGE disservice to the dancers and the choreographers.

If someone has a feature or a mini-solo, fine - focus us on that dancer. But for the most part, they REALLY need to back off and let us watch the whole thing at once, and DEFINITELY stop switching cameras constantly.

FORT Newbie

Re: Camerawork on this show

Absolutely agree 100%.

Wade Robson's group number last week was similarly awful, as far as trying to follow the dancers.

Terrible decision this season.

PLEASE OPEN YOUR MINDS petite_indigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;3068842;
    I've always thought the camerawork was more aligned with a Van Damme or Seagal movie than a dance show. Lots of too-quick zooms in and out, quick back and forth movement, etc --- you know, the kind of thing that makes an average choreographed fist-fight into a crazed tussle.

And the kind of thing that makes an well choreographed dance, well ... a crazed tussle.

But this year is WAY worse. They are bad on the regular dances (albeit slightly better this week than last). But on the group numbers they are downright abysmal. Last night's routine could have been astounding, and could have been horrid. Unfortunately, we, the viewers, have no idea. They spun from one moving camera to another as often as 4 times a second at part of that dance. I couldn't find my favorite dancers to see how they were doing at all, and I couldn't get a grasp on what the routine looked like as a whole. It was choppy and frenetic, and did a HUGE disservice to the dancers and the choreographers.

If someone has a feature or a mini-solo, fine - focus us on that dancer. But for the most part, they REALLY need to back off and let us watch the whole thing at once, and DEFINITELY stop switching cameras constantly.
    You are on the money !!! I find down right distracting. You can't even get a sense of the cherograpy as a whole. They need an advisor from a dance movie to give them some pointers.
    squirrel please!!!!:nono

Very good point; I agree 100%, too! It's awful! I wish I could go there and watch it live in the studio... We miss the foot actions, we miss seeing both partners while they are showing the face of one of the dancers, or something. Doesn't anybody in the show recognize this and do something about it?

I totally agree 10000% It takes away from my enjoyment of the show when the camera is jumping all over the place. I don't know who came up with that concept, but they need to tone it down. Just pull the camera back and let us watch the dances. That's why we tune in in the first place.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

I agree and also think a disservice is being done to the choreographers. When we're missing a large chunk of their work, then we're not seeing their true vision.

Hey, I mentioned this first in Chris' thread! Just sayin'.

In general, I think they've done pretty okay on most performances, but the Shane Sparks routine on Thursday basically focused on 4 dancers. Also there were way too many fancy angles during Chris and Comfort's Krump routine.

Here's a cross-post:

I think Chris & Comfort were severely disadvantaged in terms of how their performance was edited before airing. I was so dizzy with the continuously changing camera shots and ups and downs and zooming in and out. I think I would've enjoyed their Krump piece a lot more if we'd just been shown a straight shot from a camera plopped in front of them.
    2003-2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickety;3070124;
    I think Chris & Comfort were severely disadvantaged in terms of how their performance was edited before airing. I was so dizzy with the continuously changing camera shots and ups and downs and zooming in and out. I think I would've enjoyed their Krump piece a lot more if we'd just been shown a straight shot from a camera plopped in front of them.
    Personally, I would enjoy every dance better with a staight shot from a camera plopped in front of the dancers. sometimes I think the camera person(s) has ADD.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tickety;3070124;
    Hey, I mentioned this first in Chris' thread! Just sayin'.

In general, I think they've done pretty okay on most performances, but the Shane Sparks routine on Thursday basically focused on 4 dancers. Also there were way too many fancy angles during Chris and Comfort's Krump routine.

Here's a cross-post:

I have found this to be the case for all of the dancers. The constant moving/spinning camera angles combined with the constant changing of the cameras is very, very distracting! It is unfair to the dancers, to the choreographers, and to us, the viewers. I really hope TPTB take notice soon and realizes how horrible the camera work is. I really don't remember it being like this, or at least not this bad, in previous seasons. It has me completely !

Quote Originally Posted by Just Sayin;3071160;
    I really don't remember it being like this, or at least not this bad, in previous seasons. It has me completely !
    I don't remember it being this awful either. I don't know what possessed them to change, but let's hope they pay attention to the boards (we're not the only ones complaining) and cut the crap out. Too many times I've missed what looked to be good moves from the dancers because of the jerky camera work.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast