+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SYTYCD Media thread

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

SYTYCD Media thread

Robert Muriane was on Ellen today - if you missed him the first time, maybe you can catch her show!

He is incredible. If you haven't seen this kid, there is no way to describe him to you. Remember that old vartoon - Rubberman? he is the real life Rubberman.

Re: STYCD Media thread

Wasn't sure where to put this but its a rather interesting article at the LA Times and it shows that Nigel isn't as bad as he is often shown on the show....

LINK

To one Lythgoe offers: "The good news is you're tremendous. The bad news is you have no personality whatsoever. . . . And this is what happens on our show. People want to know you." Another very young auditioner breaks down while talking about having left home, bent on becoming a dancer. The judges talk her through her story before Lythgoe pleads with her, "You need to talk to your mom." To another on the verge of being rejected, Lythgoe soothes, "You bring yourself down and you shouldn't, because not everyone is going to be in the show."

Speaking after the auditions, Lythgoe elaborates. "We've had some scientists here say: 'I want to give up science. I want to be a dancer.' Doctors, nurses: 'I want to it give up. I-I want to be a dancer.' And you go, this is crazy. You know, you can dance and still do what you do. Why have you got to give everything up?"
    He says: "I think it's really important on the dance show, unlike 'Idol,' where we can just dismiss people, we really try on the dance show to somehow have an impact on their careers, their lives in dance. We don't just dismiss contestants and say, 'Give up dancing.' Even the bad ones we say, keep dancing, just not in competition. Just enjoy yourself."
    Lythgoe sees hope for a changing climate. "The fact is that people are accepting dance again into their homes. And the biggest thing for me would be to see fathers acknowledging that their sons can be dancers and be proud of them for that. It saddens me a great deal that, you know, so many kids turn around and say, 'My dad doesn't want me doing this.' It's this terrible image that some people have got of 'My son's going to dance' and 'Oh, my God, is he gay?' No. 1, if he is gay, then still be proud of him. What's wrong with being gay in this day and age? But No. 2, don't just associate dance with being gay. It's just so wrong, you know?"
    Now for a bit of what's ahead without spoilering it.

As for what's ahead this season, Lythgoe notes that a hip-hop dancer may finally have done his or her homework and be ready to take the throne. Urban dancers in past years have been eye-catching at the early stages but have faltered when confronted with the more formal styles contestants must master. That might change, Lythgoe says.

"What's happening now is we've got, without question, some of our best hip-hop poppers and breakers that we've ever had. And some of them will actually get through to our top 10 . . . they are stunning in what they can do.

"What's happening is they're starting to go to class; they're actually starting to get some professional lessons. And that, for me, is very exciting because we've always discussed fusing the different styles. And to see them take it on board now and to do different things, even ballroom, is terrific, because nobody can do what they can do. So, if they then start doing what other people can do, wow. They're going to be very dangerous contestants."
    The article is really good and I have my opinions as to what hip hop dancers he was referring to....

Click to see Spoiler:
    Marcus who teaches hip hop and Brandon who also teaches hip hop and who won Star Search in '03 with his partner Candace.

The Top 20 of So You Think You Can Dance's season four have been chosen. I got to meet them a little early and here's the dish on some of the dancers and the season to come:

• According to lyrical-contemporary cutie Marquis Cunningham, "They have forewarned us that there are going to be several new genres in the hat that they haven't shown the past three seasons." Mmmm...Polka? Bhangra? Quadrille? What do you suspect is going to be hiding in that hat?

• A little birdie told me the top 20's first group dance will be choreographed by legend-in-the-making Wade Robson. That's good news for many of these kids, several of whom confided that Wade is the So You Think choreographer they'd most like to work with.

• Jamie Bayard is a scion of the Schwimmer dance dynasty. He's not biologically related, but he was Lacey Schwimmer's dance partner for four years, and they won two U.S. Swing Dance championships together, and you know it's all in the family.

• It's a small world, and the dance world is even smaller than that: Chelsie Hightower went to high school with season-two star Allison Holker; Katee Shean grew up in the same town as season-one finalists Nick Lazzarini and Melody Lacayanga; and Matt Dorame and Thayne Jasperson study at the same studio.

• Three of the top 10 girls are former NBA cheerleaders: Susie Garcia danced for the Miami Heat for six years; Courtney Galliano (she's the one who came to audition with her grandparents in tow) dances for the New York Knicks; and Chelsea Traille is a self-professed "class junkie" who decided to try out the Dallas Mavericks' brand of "commercial hip-hop" when she learned the gig came with free dance lessons.
    As reported over at eonline

And some head shots of the top 20, if anybody wants to save them to their server and post them.... Just Jared
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 06-06-2008 at 01:59 PM.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Cat Deeley Talks about Season 4:

How So You Think You Can Dance differs from other dance shows on television?
    "I think it showcases the most talent on TV. It literally is. It's not celebrities. It's not anybody else. We're not putting them through the wringer. These are actually trained professional dancers and we take them on a journey. And the audience watches it."

Why do audiences relate with So You Think You Can Dance?
    "It's the human element that people identify with. It shows trials and tribulations, successes and failures, that's what makes our show a success and just their immense talent."

How are the auditions this year?

"So far, the auditions have been going fabulously. We seem to have lots of personalities. Lots of great stories. Amazing dancers. 'Cause that's the whole thing. We're not looking for necessarily the best dancer in America. What we're actually looking for is the person who is America's favorite dancer, which is a little bit different. Obviously, technically, they've got to be brilliant at what they do 'cause we're asking them to cope with all different genres and styles, which is something that professionally they would never get asked to do. But we also want them to have that little something special; that star quality. A little bit of fairy dust that's almost indefinable."

What does she do to help put the contestants at ease?
    "Before we did the very first one I said, okay, what do you need, what do you want? And do whatever you fancy. So I've now developed this thing that I call the Monkey Girl that comes out on audition days and it's basically I go down the line and I learn the moves and I eat their breakfasts and I get in their sleeping bags and wrap myself in the blanket and all that kind of stuff, and I need a bucket of coffee to get me going at that time in the morning but once I'm going I'm just, that's it, I'm, I'm going, going, going. And then it's, it feels as though there's, there's a definite relationship then that develops and it's a very natural relationship that develops because I have known them right from the start. So then when we bring them to the studio and we put them in this extraordinary situation where, you know, you have to hit a mark and we're live on TV to millions of people and there's ten cameras and you have to remember your spots and your lights and all that kind of stuff, I'm the one person that's a regular throughout the whole thing. Even when the judges perhaps some weeks turn around and go, that was atrocious, terrible, you don't deserve to be here, I'm still the person that helps them pick up the pieces and kind of squeezes their hand and carries them on, you know."
    FOX Broadcasting Company
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

2008 Emmy Nominations: Additional Nominee List

Outstanding Choreography
    Dancing with the Stars: Mambo / “Para Los Rumberos”- Julianne Hough
    High School Musical 2 - Kenny Ortega, Charles Klapow and Bonnie Story
    So You Think You Can Dance: Hummingbird and Flower / “The Chairman’s Waltz” - Wade Robson
    So You Think You Can Dance: Transformers / “Fuego” - Shane Sparks
    So You Think You Can Dance: Table / “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” - Mandy Moore
    Wonder how Mia is holding up...
    2003-2008.

I hope Wade Robson wins...that piece was stunning and breathtaking (to me anyway).

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3154959;
    Not surprised. The workload this season has been quite a bit heavier than in the past. They went to two dances early. The stress of 3 PLUS a group dance PLUS solos, PLUS rehearsing for the finale just seems like too much.

Josh and Twitch were the ones that were hospitalized.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast