+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching v Keeping Partners

FORT Newbie

Re: Switching v Keeping Partners

I thought that they picked partner names last year out of the hat....or am I mistaken?

Either way, the pairings do indeed smack of the AI unfairness with these predetermined partners. There was that couple last week in which the girl was a head taller than her partner and 25 pounds heavier...they didn't look good together and I kept wondering why they were partnered. Both of them could have been matched with other people and everybody would have looked better.

Glad that so many people see this as unfairness...so soon in the competition.

FORT Newbie

For the first season of SYTYCD the partners changed weekly. They drew the names out of the hat, just like the type of dance style. This was probably rigged, and some pairings happened more than once, but it added to the uniqueness of the show.

For the second season they changed things up - the pairs stayed together unless one of them was let go. Season three, the current season, is the same way. . . at least up until now.

This is the one reason why I always stop watching this show around this time..Its really hard to have a system that is fair to everyone. Good dancers get cut because they have bad or unpopular pairings and mediocre people get by because of their partners. Ricky and Faina are way better overall dancers than Jessi and Hok but their weak partnerships didn't help their popularity much and they got sent packing...

Its kind of unfair that you get voted on a partnership but sent out on your individual ability. They should make the pairs dance again and then vote people out based on that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMacaroni;2449317;
    it seems a little convienient that the two edgy types were paired. I think they are setting up for a lacey win.
    Speaking of, does anyone know how they go about pairing up the couples? I've been wondering about that.
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 06-25-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    As I got older I had to step out of the lines and make up my own mind. --Liz Phair

If you read the end credits it says that the producers paired them up based on certain factors. I'll try and remember to type it in from my TiVo when I get home.
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 06-25-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2448805;
    I think Faina and Ashlee both got screwed - Faina because Cedric is a weak partner but his "uniqueness" is somehow saving him,
    I have to agree with what you said about how Faina was eliminated as a result of her pairing with Cedric, but I don't know if i can say the same thing about Ashlee. Ricky had amazing potential and I think besides a lack of chemistry (and a bit of technique) He should have been allowed to stay on. This was the first dance so I didn't expect to see so much passions or sparks on the floor (unlike Lacey and Kameron, who just made me fall in love). But if they were to switch partners every week it doesn't let the partners build an understanding of each other, or familiarity of each other's dance technique. For example, last season's donyelle and benji, they danced so well because they were used to each other and knew each others strengths and weaknesses.

Adaptability should be a strength of a dancer, but the fact that they are learning new dance styles is adapting enough don't you think?
    Last edited by jasmar; 06-25-2007 at 02:30 PM.

FORT Newbie

It's clear that the producers (to their credit) are trying hard to put good dancing on the stage for the benefit of the television audience, and some of the show's structure seems to be aimed towards that goal.

I think their partnerings are fixed for that reason. Yes, it would be more "fair" to have a rotating or random partnering system, with different partners each week, rather than fixed partnerships. However the dancing is better if you allow stable partnerships, and that's a worthy goal too.

Consider this: the biggest "unfair" component isn't the partnering, but rather the weekly assignments of dance styles, music, and choreography which the contestants cannot control. Frequently a contestant gets a great dance assignment - or a terrible one - and ends up getting graded more on the music and choreography than on their dancing. Does anybody think Sara and Jesus would have voluntarily picked Queen's "We Will Rock You" as the music for their Paso Doble? The choreographer tried something wild, and the contestants paid the price.

A perfectly "fair" competition would work more like the compulsory program in figure skating, with each contestant required to do the same moves to the same music! That would be perfectly fair, because each contestant would have the exact same opportunities. However it would be boring to watch twenty contestants do similar dances. This is part of the reason that ice dancing gets much higher TV ratings than the compulsory ice-skating program. In fact, the compulsories frequently don't even get televised!

Fairness is good, but it's perfectly legitimate for the producers to tweak the system if it makes the show more interesting to watch.

FORT Newbie

I like things about both ways. I like the variety with the switching, and I like the way we get to see the couples grow and develop when they stay the same. I think they way they do it (same couples first 5 weeks, change couples ever week after that) is fine - we get the best of both worlds.

As for the dance styles, I don't think it's fair to say the hat is rigged. I do think the producers had motives when putting together the couples, but those motives were most likely to put together people who would work well together, help each other out, and bond. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it does not. Nigel said it himself he didn't think about how much taller Ashlee would be in heels than Ricky was in that dance, and maybe they'll think about that next year. I do think they thought Ashlee's southern all American charm could help distract people from the 'weird'ness of Ricky - I think that is much more likely than them trying to sabotage the pair of them.

FWIW, here's the end-credit disclaimer block, third paragraph is the one about pairing:

The competition was open to all eligible dancers - professional and amateur. Due to the nature of the dance profession, members of the cast, choreographers, and/or judges may have had varying levels of professional interaction prior to the production.

Music may have been altered from original performance for legal reasons.

The dancers were paired together by the judges based on a variety of factors designed to ensure fairness and balance. The dance styles were randomly assigned.

Make of it what you will!

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

I'm not sure. I think it would be easier to be with a god awful partner and know their faults, week after week, than switch.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12