Lacey Schwimmer, 18, is a Swing and International Latin dancer from Redlands, CA. Following in the footsteps of her brother and dance partner, Benji, who won the competition last season, Lacey has her own style which she hopes to showcase this season.
1. What is your full name?
2. Do you have a nickname?
Sissyduckling , Birdie , Lace-Face , Macy Gray
3. How old were you when you started to dance?
I was born into a dancing family so naturally I was exposed at a young age. However, I didn’t start dancing till about the age of 6, even then it was on and off for me. I got more serious at age 13 when I realized dancing is my life.
4. Do you have any formal dance training? If so, please provide details regarding training.
I had tips here and there from my parents growing up, but I liked to watch people and learn from what I was seeing.
5. If you had to categorize your dance style, what would it be (hip hop, ballet, tap etc)?
West Coast Swing, International Latin
6. What other talents/ hobbies do you have?
I can burn money on anything!!! I like doing hair/makeup, painting, getting a tan.
7. Who is your favorite professional dancer?
Cyd Charisse , seeing her in "Singing in the Rain" changed my life.
8. Does anyone in your family dance professionally?
Well, my dad has been a professional dancer since the 70s and my brother doesn’t dance at all [just kidding] my brother is as well!
9. Have you performed in musical theater or in public functions as a dancer?
Yes, I’ve been involved in musical theater my whole life .YES, I occasionally sang a tune or two!
10. What would you like to see happen to you as a result of the show?
I’ve already seen such a huge response in result to this show. The experience and training I can receive is beyond words, also meeting the people who support you is such a blessing in its own, but truly the friends I have made along this road are ones that will last a lifetime. I can’t wait to take this journey, its already been the best time of my life.
11. Where would you like to be in 10 years and what would you like to be doing?
10 years? Wow that’s a long time!! I think being sublimely happy is the only thing I could ever hope for in life. If I’m dancing, or teaching, or having a family I would want to live life to the fullest as possible.
12. What has been your most memorable dance experience?
Honestly, it would have to be my brother winning last season! I was smack dab front and center by the stage when it happened and all I can remember was me shaking in my boots [literally], then BOOM, his life changed in that second. I got to run on stage and congratulate him and after seeing that happen, I felt so privileged to experience that first hand.