+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jessi Peralta - Season 3

FORT Newbie

Re: Jessi Peralta - Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;2441989;
    I think I like Jessi because she projects "something". So many of the dancers were generic to the point of blah and she is memorable and inventive - always a good thing in a performer. From a technical standpoint, not the best, but there's a little zip that makes you notice her.
    I totally agree with you. There’s a quality to the way she moves that is completely mesmerizing – she’s very fluid and graceful but there is also strength there. She’s probably my favorite female dancer in the competition and I can’t wait to see her take on a hot Latin number. I think she might even out sizzle Anya. Or a full-blown contemporary piece…

There’s one thing that bugs me though, and that’s all the comments about her being trashy. I completely disagree with what people are saying about her. I would say that she’s naturally sensual but she also radiates intelligence and maturity which is sorely lacking in other dancers …cough Lacey cough Lauren cough cough! Rubbing baby oil on her stomach during the audition number certainly didn’t strike me as trashy or using sex to get attention as somebody else put it. I personally think it gave the piece a certain earthiness and sensuality that went well with her music.

She's a special dancer, very very fluid in her movements. That's something you can't teach.

FORT Newbie

On the plus side, Jessi can dance. This week, she and Pasha did a jazz number that was *awesome*, probably the best dance of the night. Of course they ended up in the bottom three, but I respectfully disagree with the voters; the dance was great.

On the minus side, it's obvious that she's consciously trying to get attention by flashing her underpants, and it's starting to get annoying.

I was willing to ignore the baby oil during her audition. After all, everybody is trying desperately to stand out during auditions, and she did that.

I was willing to ignore Pasha "accidentally" pulling up her skirt and doing a full exposure of her underwear and midriff during their jazz number.

But during her solo performance, she wasn't even trying to hide it. She just blatantly pulled up her skirt and exposed her panties and midriff, repeatedly, during a thirty-second solo.

Now as a general rule I have nothing against viewing attractive underdressed women however this is a dancing competition, and her solo was not remotely good. I think Jessi is using sexuality as a crutch - and she's been doing from the very first day.

I propose a new game: the Jessi Underpants Challenge! Let's see if Jessi can go two entire weeks without displaying her underpants on national TV!

I'm betting she can't

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ;2448425;

I was willing to ignore Pasha "accidentally" pulling up her skirt and doing a full exposure of her underwear and midriff during their jazz number.
    Really, I didn’t even see that. But I don’t think you can blame her for that one - it was probably just part of the choreography.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanZ;2448425;
    But during her solo performance, she wasn't even trying to hide it. She just blatantly pulled up her skirt and exposed her panties and midriff, repeatedly, during a thirty-second solo.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on that one. It was pretty blatant and a bad move on her part considering the general feeling about her on the boards.

Thought I would argue that it’s not exclusively a Jessie thing. I’ve noticed more and more women doing that in contemporary routines. Comtep/Lyrical is turning into to some sort of “Look, I have little spandex shorts under my dress” art form.

However, I still think that solo was more the result of nerves than anything else. I’m sure if she has to dance for her life again she will be better prepared. After all, they shouldn’t even have been in the B3.

As a contemporary dancer... ya gotta have the "booty shorts" under everything. All the rolling, leaping, flipping and turning requires the little black shorts, BUT intentionally and repeatedly flashing your shorts like Jess was just dumb and showed that she was unprepared for her solo.

Thinking back, a friend told me that the dancers who made the top 20 were required to bring 20 or 30, 30- second solos, complete with costume and music to the the producers prior to the start of the top 20 shows for pre-approval, so they already knew what she was going to do....if you go back and look at what Sabra was wearing last night, she was in costume to perform a solo... thank goodness she didn't have to
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Regular

I think if you timed it, we have seen more of Sabra's undershorts than Jessi's. Plus, some of the time it was with her rolling around on the floor with her partner.

Jessi may have had the solos pre-approved, but no way did she expect to be performing last night. I don't know why it threw her so bad, but I wanted to kick her after seeing her with her eyes down and shoulders hunched. Was she TRYING to go home?

Her solo sucked but I think it may have been because she was shocked and/or unprepared more than a lack of ability because her solo that we saw at the end of Vegas was amazing.

She should always be prepared, especially after week two. You still don't know if you have a following, or if your partner has a following.
    Why is it boys talk so much, when they have nothing to say? And girls have plenty to say, but no one will listen?
    --Vada Sultenfuss

I'm surprised there's no talk here about her EKG/illness yet!

I really feel for her. Even though she wasn't my favorite, it would be really sad to see ANYone be eliminated for something like this.

But there's no good solution for Nigel & Co. They can't just give her a free pass to continue on until she's healthy again while other girls get eliminated and Pasha does routines with random gals from the audience (although I'd LOVE to see that last part). So it makes sense she'll have to dance to stay in the competition no matter what the votes are tonight.

Even if she comes back and does well, the judges might let her go because they don't want to endanger her well-being. It would be a real shame- she definitely wouldn't be going home this early otherwise (deservedly or not)- but I don't know what other solution there is unless she just magically makes a full recovery by tonight.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast