+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sabra Johnson - Season 3

Re: Sabra Johnson - Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2493375;
    I adore her.
    I agree with what Nigel said about her dancing 'big'.
    She's a tiny little thing but she fills the stage when she dances.
    Incredibly talented.
    It's incredible to think she has so few years of training behind her.
    I'd love to see a Sabra/Danny final two.
    Couldnt have said it any better!

Sabra really deserves to win, she has great partnering skills
    Pasha was pretty in danger after his Wade Robson solo, but when he was paired with Sabra, all the sudden he bounced back
    Once Dominic lost her, it was all downhill from there
    Gosh, she could have scooted any partner in the top 10 had they been paired, even Cedric!
    I read in the Lacey thread someone saying that although there is nothing to hate about her, she doesn't really have endearing qualities
    I would have to disagree, she is very poised and humble, but still funny at times
    She has a great personality and it's great to see a girl whose so grounded and has such a positive attitude when excelling in the competition
    Her humbleness is quite refreshing compared to the arrogant Danny and the camera-mugging Lacey
    The winner will definitely be either Danny/Lacey/Sabra
    Sabra, IMO, would be best since she is the most versatile and the only one who has no connections to other dancers previously on the show
    However, I feel the final 2 will be Lacey/Sabra
    And things will go like last year, the overall better dancer will lose to the dancer with the greater fanbase
    I think she deserves it because she's even put in the effort to excel in genres outside her forte and IMO, is the only one that has earned it with her consistency, and she is, IMO, the only one with a great attitude
    Lauren seems fake and it doesn't seem like she really wants it
    Lacey is a camera mugger and a showoff
    Danny is very arrogant and full of himself
    Pasha/Neil are exceptions, but neither have the versatility the winner needs
    I miss AJ!!
    "Immerse your soul in love"-Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by LedZepForever;2511142;
    Sabra really deserves to win, she has great partnering skills
    Pasha was pretty in danger after his Wade Robson solo, but when he was paired with Sabra, all the sudden he bounced back
    Pasha/ANY ballroom dancer has never landed a spectacular solo on this show (apart from Benji, but hey, he's the winner) But pasha is the best male partner in the show, so I don't think it was all because of Sabra >.>

I used to be a Sabra fan, but now the surge in popularity makes her seem overrated... especially with Danny on the rise.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totohomo;2511323;
    I used to be a Sabra fan, but now the surge in popularity makes her seem overrated... especially with Danny on the rise.
    But don't you think one of the reasons for her rise in popularity is because people are seeing what a phenomenal dancer she is as well as being ikable. Danny is a phenomenal dancer but there's something about him that puts people off.

I also think that Sabra has nailed every style of dance she's been given. I don't know . . . I feel joy when I watch Sabra dance because that's the type of energy she's putting out there.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;2511340;
    But don't you think one of the reasons for her rise in popularity is because people are seeing what a phenomenal dancer she is as well as being ikable. Danny is a phenomenal dancer but there's something about him that puts people off.
    I know this is the Sabra thread, so I'll stay on topic by agreeing that yes, she is phenomenal and likable and by far my favorite female in this competition. I wish her the best and truly hope she wins.

But I have to disagree with you on the Danny comment. I think maybe his surge in popularity comes from the realization by some of the nay-sayers that he is not this arrogant, self-centered egomaniac that many saw him as at the beginninig. Week after week, his dance remains superb and many people may be finding themselves less and less aware of the off-putting qualities that the producers shoved in our faces toward the start of the season. I firmly believe that while he may be a very confident dancer, there would not have been the level of initial dislike for him if Nigel and the other judges hadn't commented on what they termed "arrogance." I believe that people jumped on that and ran away with it. Only now, as people can see this is not a true assessment of Danny's personality, is he gaining popularity and support, not to mention appreciation for his beautiful ability.

Just my opinion, though, and of course, many still find him irritating and off-putting, so I really don't believe he has a chance in hello of actually winning. That's probably going to be a tight competition between Lacey and Sabra this season.

I totally agree. From the start, Danny was shown as this ego maniac, and its just his stigma now. Even now, when people mention Danny he's the cocky, but brilliant dancer... and that will never change.

Sabra is a a pretty good dancer, but I don't think she's nearly as polished as Danny or even Pasha (His competitive track with Anya is pretty impressive). She has talent, I just hope the compliments stop coming in from the judges, or she really won't know what to improve on. Unless she's perfect already.

FORT Newbie

Sabra is more than a pretty good dancer. I grew up in this smallish town in North Carolina which every summer hosted the American Dance Festival at the local university. The rest of the year it was all basketball and all football, all the time. But in those summers, dance companies like Alvin Ailey, Pilobolus, the Russian Ballet, and so many amazing contemporary companies would come and set up shop in Durham. So that's what i saw. I never saw ballroom until I grew up and saw it on tv, except at dances sometimes.

This is a lead into why I like Sabra so much. For me, dance is an expression of the soul, its an art, not one that is necessarily about scorable moves, or standards you can point to, but about choreography and a dancers interpretation of deep, complicated emotions and events. Sabra is a great dancer. She moves so well, she learns routines, she has amazing extension and her own choreography is darn good.

But its her interpretation that sets her apart. Her expression varies from the shallow needs of Disney-esque dances to the subtle variations of regret, or loss, or the heights of real soul barring joy!

The other two girls don't have that emotional and interpretive range. Lauren danced a solo last night without ever once varying that wide smile. And the music was much more complicated and dark, so no match for me.

Lacey, while a brilliant product of the dance school culture, lacks ability to express complicated emotions. Even in her mia michaels piece I wan't feeling it. We tivoed that night and were in a hurry, so we skipped all the lead ins, so i saw that piece cold with no explanation. It did not move me without that lead in. We went back and watched the lead in after beginning to listen to the judges comments and it made a HUGE difference. But it was Mias comments that moved us, not Lacey's dancing. Neil's on first pass was better. Wow.

As for Lacey: I bet she has been on dance teams since she was five. She suffers a bit from being produced in that realm, where they teach sexuality to children in the form of rote moves - butt thrusts, circling hips, facial expression that mimic the fake orgasm, that kind of thing. I know that is not all she is! But it is often where she goes to when she dances, especially in her solos. She needs to truly feel what's within her and be able to express that, not just in her movements, but in her pauses and in her face.

Sabra rocks for me.

During Wednesday's show there was a banner for Sabra that was from the Kaiserslautern Gymnasts. I'm assuming this is Kaiserslautern Germany which has several US military posts and Ramstein air base.

Anyone know if Sabra is a military brat?

I've wondered about Sabra origins too because her name is Arabic as well. Regardless, I love watching her because she never fails to reach the limits of human expression....the girl gives her all everytime like a true champion. She's the best and SYTUCD is that much better for it....ps Danny's awesome and I believe Neil's a star-in-the-making too. If justice prevails so will Sabra for the win!
    BE YOUR OWN LEADER...the king is dead!

FORT Fan

love Sabra! she's an awesome dancer!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast