+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Pasha Kovalev - Season 3

Re: Pasha Kovalev - Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by weary;2454814;
    Holy cow, has anybody watched this video of his choreographer and emergency partner dancing together (about ten years ago)? Tony and Melanie
    Just send the kids to bed first!
    Oh wow.
    WOW.
    that was..amazingly steamy

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Pasha wasted no time at all getting comfortable with his new partner. They were fantastic last night.

Kinda makes you wanna say: Jessi who???

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;2471212;
    Pasha wasted no time at all getting comfortable with his new partner. They were fantastic last night.

Kinda makes you wanna say: Jessi who???
    Yeah, lol! When the judges were talking about their chemistry, I know Jessi was at home bawling in heartbreak! By the end of the night, she probably threw a wine glass at the TV screen while she was on the couch eating Ben & Jerry's
    Seriously, I think that was a great balance between performance and technique, I mean some of the stuff they did was amazing!
    Best performance of the night
    I miss AJ!!
    "Immerse your soul in love"-Radiohead

FORT Newbie

To reiterate what I said in Sara's thread, I think Sara and Pasha got very lucky and owe Benji a big thank you. He picked great music and choreographed an exciting routine in a way that really hid Sara's shortcomings. (Lacy would have killed that number.)
    Sara rose to the occasion and did an admirable job. However, what could have been a mediocre performance, was an electric crowd favorite...and that had more to do with Benji than with Sara and Pasha. Pasha did a very competent job.

The Choreographer is increasingly becoming the third invisible competitor.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Wexie;2471272;
    The Choreographer is increasingly becoming the third invisible competitor.
    I completely agree with this.

When the entire package comes together - music, choreography, dancers' personalities, stage presence, costumes, etc... - it always creates the most memorable performances, IMO. A huge (choreo, intended character, music, costumes) part of that "coming together" is in the hands of the choreographer, who has always tended to be overlooked or downplayed in most cases. Not so much with this show, but in general. Personally, I find myself equally impressed with the dancers and the choreographers this season.

It was interesting to watch Pasha and Sara perform so many moves that Benji has done himself when he won in 2005 for West Coast Swing Nationals. You can find videos of his performance then and in 2003 on YouTube under his name and swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wexie;2471272;
    To reiterate what I said in Sara's thread, I think Sara and Pasha got very lucky and owe Benji a big thank you. He picked great music and choreographed an exciting routine in a way that really hid Sara's shortcomings. (Lacy would have killed that number.)
    Sara rose to the occasion and did an admirable job. However, what could have been a mediocre performance, was an electric crowd favorite...and that had more to do with Benji than with Sara and Pasha. Pasha did a very competent job.
    Well, of course Lacey would have nailed this number, she competes in western swing! What I believe electrified the audience was that Pasha and Sara took Benji's already good choreography and made it their own - their personalities really shined. Even more impressive considering they were new partners.

Pasha remains, IMHO, one of the best dance partners this show has seen. I truly believe he could have made Cedric look good!

Quote Originally Posted by xstitchmama;2479565;
    It was interesting to watch Pasha and Sara perform so many moves that Benji has done himself when he won in 2005 for West Coast Swing Nationals. You can find videos of his performance then and in 2003 on YouTube under his name and swing.

I also noticed a couple moves from OTHER couples' wcs routines in the dance.

I guess no one can claim ownership of body movement. It's not like people have exclusive rights to an underarm turn or a leap. And it's possible that it's just coincidence that some of the moves were similar (others were straight up "borrowed" right out of other routines), but I hope credit goes where credit is due (Robert & Deborah, Ben & Carla, Kyle & Sarah, Jordan & Tatiana...).
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

ha ha... reminds me of a time when my 5 yr old daughter was accused of stealing a "coffee grinder" step from another competitor!? Since it is a standard step in clogging... pretty hard to "steal". Once you put out a "move" in competition, it pretty much is fair game.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Newbie

Yeah, "Stealing" moves is part of social dance culture, and has been since the days of the Savoy Ballroom, and probably way before.

Franky Manning made it clear in his biography that he felt no real sense of ownership over the moves he made up, and that no one ever said "Hey, that's my move."

+ Reply to Thread