+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Neil Haskell - Season 3

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Neil Haskell - Season 3

Picked Neil as a favorite early on and I'm still in his corner, but the tango was a bit lackluster. Not very believable as a couple, but still not bad enough to rate a bottom three when compared to Cedric/Shauna or Kameron/Lacey.

FORT Newbie

Neil is getting a little bit boring. Compare him to some of the more memorable dancers like Cedric (who is most memorable while talking to the judges and audience), and Dominic. He's going to be gone before Dominic.

Rich

Everyone blames Neil of doing tricks during his solo, so? Point being?
    I agree with the poster that said that all those crazy tricks are popular in dance. Did he show off? Yes, that's what solos are about. That would not have worked as a routine, but 30 second solos are not supposed to be elaborate routines. They are supposed to be freestyles where you spill out all the potential you have in front of the judges and show as much as you can show in 30 seconds. That's what dancing for your life is, not routines. That's what Danny, Neil and Shauna all did successfully. Meanwhile, Jesus, Jessi and Lauren failed at that. Jessi and Lauren may have done well if it were a routine, but it's not what you do in your 30 seconds to save your stand in the competition. After the solo, I thought Neil and Jesus were basically neck and neck. Neil was mediocre at the three performances, but excelled at his solo. It seems most couples struggle with ballroom and Neil and Lauren are one of the unlucky couples to get two out of three ballroom dances. I know if they get contemporary, they will excel. Meanwhile, Jesus had three great performances. However, he did not do very well on his solo (although he at least tried unlike Jessi/Anya/Lauren). I think bombing your last solo shows a lack of progress and I can see how the judges would eliminate him. I think either way would be fair and it was up to the judges' preferences and priorities. As it is, it looks like Cedric and Lauren are in the most danger. That's great because if they go home, Neil and Shauna would make great partners. I haven't seen Shauna do ballroom, but they are both extraordinary contemporary dancers.
    I miss AJ!!
    "Immerse your soul in love"-Radiohead

The point, at least from one persepctive, is that gymnastics isn't dancing. Once you've learned the tricks in the gym, it's mindlessly easy to throw yourself around the stage, but it takes a lot more artistic talent to put together even a short piece, which these guys should have prepared in advance.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

The only problem I have is that Niel was praised as fantastic by the judges because he threw a bunch of tricks together, with little actual dancing.

When d-trix had to dance for his life and threw a bunch of tricks together, nigel warned him about being repetitive, and doing the same thing over and over. How many times have we seen niel just do those spins and that jump kick in the air thing?

Quote Originally Posted by popnfresh;2461724;
    The only problem I have is that Niel was praised as fantastic by the judges because he threw a bunch of tricks together, with little actual dancing.

When d-trix had to dance for his life and threw a bunch of tricks together, nigel warned him about being repetitive, and doing the same thing over and over. How many times have we seen niel just do those spins and that jump kick in the air thing?
    Ummm, with the exception of his solo, never. There's a big difference. Dominic did a b-boy thing in his disco routine and therefore messed with the style of the dance. The only time we have seen Neil do his "tricks" is on solo night, which was an appropriate time. Who care if it was gymnastics if it was a fabulous routine? Gymnastics isn't cheating.It's not as if he could have done any of what he did without natural talent. Gymnasts have an advantage and it's not a bias or handicap to others, it just makes for great dancing. It worked perfectly with the song, so I don't see how it is such a big deal. But I do think he was still dancing. The fact is, solos are meant to show off.
    I miss AJ!!
    "Immerse your soul in love"-Radiohead

The thing is I don't think that he did put his gymnastics into a fabulous dance for your life routine. It was more like get by with being boring and safe routine, at least for me.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

You are right on Led Zep. The 30 sec "freestyle" is just that. That is the perfect time to show all your tricks, because you don't see them in the actual dance routines done as partners.

As professional dancers when you go to an audition you might learn some choreography that you are judged on and then they tell you to "freestyle" to music for maybe 30 seconds... could be shorter or longer. That time is where you want to show all your "tricks" hoping that they will see something that intrigues them enough to either keep you as a dancer, or at least get you a callback. If you are a b boy or girl, that is when you do your floor spins and someone like Neil does his leaps, turns and flips.

There is no difference between Cedric, Hok or Dominic doing head and shoulder spins and Neil or Danny doing Russians (center leaps) turns and acrobatics. All of those things are what make them stand out, which is exactly what they have to do (in a good way) when they are dancing for their lives.

Thrashing around, pulling up your skirt, rolling on the floor in some 30 seconds of lyrical isn't going to impress the judges. That is why when Shauna came out and put her best turns and tricks out to be judged she made a lasting impression. That 30 seconds is sorta like "if you got it, flaunt it" time.

oopss.. wrote a book...
    Last edited by skyhigh79; 07-06-2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: order of paragraphs
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Newbie

Yes, the 30-second solo is the time to show off tricks, but anyone who is on that show should know that a dance, no matter how long it is, should not resemble the floor routine in a gymnastics competition. Shauna and Danny showed off their tricks, but they also incorporated choreography. Neil will dance solo again. He could have used half of the tricks in this solo, and saved the other half for another. All his solo proved to me, and many others, is that he uses tricks as a crutch.

Silent Lover To All TymeMarteen's Avatar

i just think it's funny that someone said the gymnastics weren't dancing, as if they wrote the book on what is dance. last i heard dance was movement in succession with a beat, which Neil did. not to mention Neil threw in fuetes (the spins on one foot, which are not easy) and actually put together a comprehensive routine. Dominic on the other hand has shown that spinning on his hands is about all he can do. and incorporating neil's gymnastic movements in partnering is the choreographer's fault not his.

+ Reply to Thread