+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 5/31 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/31 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I thought the QB was gay myself. If that did turn out to be the case, the dad would die on the spot. I wonder to what extent they played that up just for the sake of the show, but it's sadly not that far fetched that a father would be like that. I was not at all surprised by him making it through to Vegas, though I do think he should probably just come back next year and try again. If he somehow slips through even further, his lack of experience will prevent him from getting as far as he could get with more training.

Quote Originally Posted by user name;2428196;
    I thought the QB was gay myself. If that did turn out to be the case, the dad would die on the spot. I wonder to what extent they played that up just for the sake of the show, but it's sadly not that far fetched that a father would be like that.
    ...as do I...

In fact, I'd wager money that he has come out to his dad, and that's the real tension between them.

I think the editors cut that out of the whole backstory, because FOX has a thing against its reality show contestants being openly gay (as with them forcing past Idol contestants to take down info on their personal websites about their sexuality, and that we don't hear anything about the relationships of some of the VERY clearly gay SYTYCD contestants

So instead we get a view of this dad who doesn't want his son to dance because it isn't manly.

Even if that IS the whole story, there are several other instances of FOX sanitizing sexuality out of its reality tv contestants even when they want to be open about it. Why? Is it because they're afraid gay people aren't good role models for the pre-teens who watch the show (even if many of them already know they are gay/lesbian and could use a good role model)? Is it that they're afraid it will affect the contestant's chances in getting people to vote for them (i'm sure the sappy storylines and unequal face time have more of an impact)? It's not even that they try to take relationships/sexuality out of the shows altogether-- several of the dances are choreographed to be romantically or sensually intimate, so even gay/lesbian contestants would have to "perform" hetero.

I know I'm going way off on a tangent here, but I just think the "don't ask, don't tell" policy of FOX reality shows is really behind the times.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Resident Anime Robot Griffin11287's Avatar

Jumping on the "Brian Gaynor (robot dude) is awesome" bandwagon. As somebody with scoloisis so severe they had to fuse my spine (the procedure he mentioned) and cerebral palsy, seeing someone with a disability rock it like that was truly amazing, inspiring, and validating. I only make posts once in a while here at FORT, but man did Bryan ever warrant one. Truly fantastic.

Though I'd be curious to see how his scoliosis was different from mine as mine didn't affect my growth in therms of height (I'm like 6'1" or 6'2") and though I grew three inches in height after the fusion, that was because my scoliosis literally made me lean over, and Bryan stood straight. It's a mystery!

EDIT: Oh, and I bust out robot moves at parties rather often, too. Nowhere near Bryan caliber of course, but it kills at the parties themselves. And it's all upper-body, considering my wheels. I now have the theory that every disabled person has an inner robot.
    Last edited by Griffin11287; 06-03-2007 at 09:17 PM.
    I heart comedy. It's one of the things that makes the world go round.
    Comedy Quote of the Moment:
    "I got pulled over by the cops for being drunk, and I was like 'I'm sorry officer, it's a misunderstanding, I'm not drunk, I have Cerebral Palsy!' and they're like 'Damn, that's a pretty big word for a drunk ass!' I was in there for 7 days, they see me they're like, 'Damn buddy, what'd you drink?!"-Josh Blue (ROCK ON BROTHER!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456