+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

Nigel Lythgoe serves as executive producer of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, as well as one of its choreographer/judges. Lythgoe, president of 19 Television, joined 19 as chief executive in 2001 from London World Television (LWT), where he was controller of entertainment and comedy. At LWT, Lythgoe attracted award-winning programming, including “Ice Warriors,” “Live By Request with Phil Collins,” “Michael Barrymore’s My Kind of Music,” “Don’t Try This At Home,” “Friday Night’s All Wright,” “TV Nightmares,” “Kids Say the Funniest Things,” “Animals Do the Funniest Things,” “Guinness World Records” and “Hidden Talents of the Rich and Famous.”

One of the UK's most respected TV talents, Lythgoe began his career at the age of ten as a dancer. Later, he switched to choreography for The Young Generation dance group and went on to choreograph over 500 television shows around the world, including those for Engelbert Humperdinck, The Muppets and five Royal Variety Performances. Lythgoe became a household name as a tough judge on the UK series “Popstars,” leading him to be dubbed "Nasty Nigel" by viewers. He has produced multiple shows, including "Gladiator," "Pop Idol" and the British version of "Survivor,” which he also directed. Lythgoe also teamed up with Ken Warwick to create and star in their own reality series, “Corkscrewed,” which aired on Fox Reality Channel in 2006.

Along with “So You Think You Can Dance” and “All American Girl,” Lythgoe’s executive producer credits include all seasons of FOX’s #1 “American Idol,” including the first-ever charity show, “Idol Gives Back,” that to date has raised over $70 million for CPEF (Charity Projects Entertainment Fund). CPEF is a U.S. charitable organization established to raise money and awareness to help combat extreme poverty in the United States and throughout the world, particularly in Africa. CPEF aims to use the power of entertainment to deliver social benefits to some of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people in the world.

Nigel Lythgoe, currently the President of 19 Television, joined 19 Television as Chief Executive in 2001 from London Weekend Television, where he was controller of entertainment and comedy. Lythgoe is one of the U.K.'s most respected TV talents and has a host of major credits, including the U.K. series "Pop Idol," "Gladiators" and six Royal Variety Shows. He co-created and executive-produces the Emmy winning series SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. His other executive-producer credits include all seven seasons of AMERICAN IDOL as well as "Next Great American Band," "American Juniors," "All American Girl" and the specials "An American Idol Christmas" and "World Idol." AMERICAN IDOL has been nominated for 30 Emmy Awards and in 2007 received the prestigious Governors Award, the Television Academy's highest honor, for IDOL GIVES BACK. Lythgoe became a household name in the U.K. as "Nasty Nigel," the judge on "Popstars."

Lythgoe lives in Los Angeles
    Last edited by paridy; 11-01-2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: adding Nigel's 2009 bio
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Re: Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

I like Nigel on this show. He knows his stuff, he appreciates the talent and desire that these dancers have, and he hates those who teach dancing without knowing a thing about dance!

I don't want him to be mean or rude this year either. But I do like it when he talks straight to them.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Newbie

just another version of simon cowell.

FORT Regular

I loke him better than Simon, he isn't quite as rude.

To the Point

The fact that he started as a dancer and has actually choreographed automatically gives him more credibility than Simon Cowell. I actually like him most of the time on this show.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I love Nigel!
    He can be very diplomatic in the way he tells you that you suck :-)
    I'm sorry, but some of these people NEED to be told that they are not good dancers. They have been misled their whole lives by people who lied and said that they were talented. SOMEONE needs to tell them that they need to find another goal in life.
    He is also good at pointing out the person's POSITIVES, and letting them know what areas need work.
    I say great job Nigel.

I totally LOVE Nigel!

He's honest without usually being too hurtful. But like others have said, some of these people are truly in another world and there is no way to sugarcoat it.

For the dancers who are serious and really trying or just love to dance and it shows, Nigel is always tactful and helpful, even if he has to pop their bubble a little.

An example of why I like Nigel is the way that he responded to the footballer turned dancer. He saw the desire to succeed and wanted to give him a chance to experience different choreography so he had him stick around, and they ended up sending him to Vegas. Nigel can be brutally honest (and sometimes someone needs to be), but he seems to genuinely love the world of dance and want to help foster new talent for itself rather than for the bottom line.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lalou;2427912;
    An example of why I like Nigel is the way that he responded to the footballer turned dancer. He saw the desire to succeed and wanted to give him a chance to experience different choreography so he had him stick around, and they ended up sending him to Vegas. Nigel can be brutally honest (and sometimes someone needs to be), but he seems to genuinely love the world of dance and want to help foster new talent for itself rather than for the bottom line.
    I totally agree with you here, Lalou. Nigel projects his love of dance right off the screen and into my family room. Whereas I think Simon Cowell is very much interested in the bottom line and has that as his first priority, I feel Nigel combines love of dance with the bottom line -- so much more appealing, IMO.

Nigel is the anchor of the show...

Period...

But, dang, can't they dance!!!! LOVE it... All... Even the hip-hop...

Sheesh, and I'm 66.... (And that is not the "route"...)

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast