+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

Re: Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

Yeah, I have to agree with those defending Nigel. I think he often gets out of line with his comments and gestures but I think its coming from a genuine place. He SERIOUSLY loves dance and is just so excited that sometimes he doesn't think before speaking and reacting and I can sympathize with that. Does he manipulate the show to get the results he wants? HECK YEAH. But thats done during deliberations and not during his spontaneous responses to what he sees.

The same way Mary can't help the screaming and cackling when somebody moves her....he can't help his reactions and its what I love about these judges. They love what they are doing so much that they make the biggest gaffes and as long as I keep feeling that its not faked or staged? I'm going to keep just shaking my head at them like I would any slightly off friend that I'm rather fond of.

FORT Fogey

So, tonight Nigel and Cat begin SYTYCD UK. Today's Daily Mirror has an interview with Nigel. The whole thing is interesting, but here are some highlights for me:
    • His father would only let him go to dance class if he also went to boxing classes. He says: "I was a terrible, nervous boxer. Every time I threw a punch I farted. The only time I won was when a kid slipped on the canvas and hit his head on the post."
    • As a producer, Nigel launched Simon Cowell as a TV star first in the UK, then in the US. And oddly enough, Simon indirectly was responsible for Nigel's TV stardom when he pulled out of the UK show Popstars, which forced Nigel to step in front of the camera as a judge for the first time. The meaner Nigel was to the contestants, the higher the shows ratings went up.
    • Simon's tardiness on the AI set was a constant irritation. "He would always be one or two hours late. After four or five years of it, we knew it wasn't going to happen, so we'd all tootle around, have a nice lunch, go out, or do something else until he turned up."
    • Nigel and Simon also disagreed over selecting contestants. "He wanted real characters he could pick on and I didn't. I wanted the best talent that we could have."
    • Why has Nigel been away from British TV for so long? "I was close to being at the top of the TV industry in Britain, but I now earn what I earned in a whole year in Britain in four or five weeks in America."
    • In the new show, the winner will receive £100,000 and "a slot on the US show".

What does that mean: "a slot on the US show"? They will compete? A guest spot?
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 01-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3781518;
    • Every time I threw a punch I farted.
    T.M.I.

A slot on the US show probably means a performance on the finale, just like how Talia (winner of SYTYCDAUS2) was able to perform on the finale of S5.

I would really like to watch the UK version. So far, I've kept up with the Australian and Canadian versions (minus the season season of Canada, since I couldn't find it anywhere). I'll see if I'll be able to find the UK one this time.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

From Nigel's twitter:

Twitter / Nigel Lythgoe:

First rule change. Only one dancer will leave the competition each week and not two. Many more changes to come by the end of this week.

He did state that there will be many format changes this upcoming season, but I'm so confused as to how this will work. A dancer is not going to have a partner when there is an odd number of people left. So I'm left wondering about this.

I marathoned the UK version a few days ago, and it was kind of disgusting. Nigel's favorite won the competition, and he "didn't give a damn" (his words) if people thought he was showing favortism. During one of the episodes, he also stated that during the audition process, the judges and him weren't looking for the best dancers. They were looking for the good dancers that had potential to grow. The winner, Charlie, fit that bill. She (Charlie's a girl, btw) was the last girl announced into the Top14 (it was a Top14, not Top20). While comparing the other girl that was left with her, Nigel stated that the other girl was the better dancer. Keeping in mind that he wanted the good dancers with potential, Charlie was chosen... and ended up with the win. I have not seen a more pimped dancer win any competition. Almost none of the Top14 dancers had had their auditions shown, but Charlie was lucky enough to have her's aired. It was the very first one in the first episode also. She also had a sob story to boot. Sorry, she's a good dancer and all, but the pimpage part of it all is pretty hard to deal with.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Repeating the first tweet as Unklescott posted above, followed by the next three tweets (the last being from 6 hours ago):

Rule change #1: First rule change. Only one dancer will leave the competition each week and not two. Many more changes to come by the end of this week.

Rule change #2: Another rule change for SYTYCD this coming Season. The partners will change every single week.

Rule change #3: This Season will not have a top 20. The pieces are falling into place. More tomorrow.

CHANGE-The competitors will no longer choose their genres of dance. I'll explain everything before the SYTYCD Press Conference on Monday!

I wonder how it will work with only one contestant per week leaving. That would leave an uneven number of dancers every other week. Does the odd person out get a pro to fill in? And can two of the same sex be eliminated in a row? Leaving 2 people without partners? Will they have same-sex pairings then? I'd sure love to know the answers.

Not liking all of these changes...

I read that there will be a media conference today that will explain all the changes and there is some big secret "thing" that will tie it all together and then it will all make sense.

Do you suppose it's some sort of "all-stars" season? Or maybe instead of unknown partners, they are all paired with assistants or former contestants? Yeah....probably not to both of those because they actually sound kind of interesting and I'm betting whatever this "thing" is will just make the show even worse.

Either way, I'm not sure even more changes is what this show needs. It needs to go back to what wasn't broken in the first place!

It looks like they will pair the 10 new dancers with past contestants, which I think is a great idea. I believe that this will change every week. It will be nice to see where some of them have been the last couple of years, those that have not been on DWTS. Also, it will be great to see Mia back as both a choreographer and a judge.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast