+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: Nigel Lythgoe - Judge

Quote Originally Posted by lalou;2427912;
    An example of why I like Nigel is the way that he responded to the footballer turned dancer. He saw the desire to succeed and wanted to give him a chance to experience different choreography so he had him stick around, and they ended up sending him to Vegas.
    Excellent point lalou. He cares about people, and is willing to try to help people move forward in their careers... in this case sending this novice dancer to the choreography round so that he could have the experience.
    Very sweet.

Also, Nigel is funny! I loved his line when he asked about the dance style that seemed to be a cross between "Crumping" and "Tapping"... Is that called "Cr@pping?" Hilarious.

Here's another difference between Nigel and Simon Cowell... Nigel can actually DO the activity that he is judging. Nigel can dance. Simon doesn't sing. That means that Nigel's remarks have that much more impact.

Why I love Nigel:

There was a moment last season when Aleksandra did a not-so-great job in the waltz, and Nigel made a really nasty insult about it that was exceedingly witty but quite harsh- something about her being the corpse bride.

The following night, he apologized to Aleksandra for taking a jab that was more about him being entertaining than it was about her growth as a dancer. He caught himself being mean for mean's sake and admitted to the mistake. That's such an adult thing to do (and some schadenfreudic part of me enjoys the fact that he's not too adult to avoid the mean mistake in the first place).
    Last edited by Aota Bass; 06-09-2007 at 11:41 PM.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Newbie

I thought Nigel handled the "Peace Dance" apology very well. He addressed the controversy and the feelings of both sides, protected the choreographer and dancers, attempted to remove the political-ness of it-- very classy.

I like the old coot more and more.

I agree chimi, with one exception: Although I'm glad he addressed the controversy, I didn't think it was necessary for him to actually apologize. They did nothing wrong. Like he said, promoting peace does not mean not supporting the troops.

I have to respect Nigel. Looking at other reality show judges (Simon Cowell on "Idol" and Piers on "AGT"), Nigel shows a lot of class.
    DevilTwin
    Trekker and Geocacher

Just heard on Mike Evans On The Road (our "man in the know" from Hawaii) that Nigel and Prisilla Presley are an item and madly in love. But . . wasn't he married to a blond woman during the first season. In fact, she was one of the preliminary judges.

Actually, I like Nigel. I think his comments are constructive and witty. He is far more subtle than Simon Cowell and less nasty, but he can be pretty cutting at times. At least he doesn't seem to play favorites that much (unlike Ms. Emotional Mia) nor does he scream like a banshee when pleased (Mary).

I hadn't heard that rumour before, but if you Google their names you get a lot of hits saying they are a couple.
    "That's Numberwang!"

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Season 4 'updated' bio for Nigel Lythgoe.

Nigel Lythgoe, currently the President of 19 Television, joined 19 Television as Chief Executive in 2001 from London Weekend Television, where he was controller of entertainment and comedy. Lythgoe is one of the U.K.'s most respected TV talents and has a host of major credits, including the U.K. series "Pop Idol," "Gladiators" and six Royal Variety Shows. He co-created and executive-produces the Emmy winning series SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. His other executive-producer credits include all seven seasons of AMERICAN IDOL as well as "Next Great American Band," "American Juniors," "All American Girl" and the specials "An American Idol Christmas" and "World Idol." AMERICAN IDOL has been nominated for 30 Emmy Awards and in 2007 received the prestigious Governors Award, the Television Academy's highest honor, for IDOL GIVES BACK. Lythgoe became a household name in the U.K. as "Nasty Nigel," the judge on "Popstars."

Lythgoe lives in Los Angeles.
    FOX Broadcasting Company
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

FORT Fogey

I think he is a great judge and don't understand some of the criticism I read in the other thread. He is knowledgable, genuine and gives an interesting critique. I do not see him gushing when it is uncalled for or unnecessarily harsh when he is not pleased.

Basically Nigel is full of it. With that said I do like him.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast