+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 8/02 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

It's weird- when this season started up the women really outshone the men, but now at the top three- all three guys were great last night (yes, even with Ivan's lack of full technique- I thought he still looked great and was giving it his all- and his solos have never looked better- still he CANNOT outlast Travis or Benji), while Heidi is the ONLY female left that is still turning in dances to knock your socks off.

Natalie was never one of my favorites, but I agree she's gotten better ever since her solo last week. Donyelle is really disappointing- she started off SO strong. And Allison should still be here over both of them.

I know it was long ago, but I really wish Jaymz had stuck around longer I think he was easily #3 of the male dancers. I think he would have done much better if he OR his partner had had more Vegas coverage going into the show, or if he had been given more popular dance choices, or if he hadn't lipped off to the judges. Ah well.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Last night show was quite interesting. They all gave their best but you could tell that the stress was wearing them down a bit. The leg lifts wasn't as strong and the facial expression wasn't as energetic. But all in all it was okay.

Ivan - all of his hip hop solos depicts the broken hand routine. Even in the couple's dance with Natlie he did that in the end. Okay Ivan enough of that, it's really not cute. Like Nigel said, you can tell where he lacks experience.

Natalie and Donyelle - you could also tell the injuries were getting to them. For awhile there, I thought Donyelle was going to come off the stage and smack Nigel during his comments about the Broadway piece. Natalie looked like she just wanted to cry. Donyelle did look a bit heavier in those white pants. The pink dress was cute. I still see this girl dancing on Broadway. She is so ready for it.

Heidi and Benjie - They are just so awesome. I love to watch them dance. Heidi danced so hard during her solo that the veins in ther forehead were popping out. These two knows how to work a ballroom piece.

Travis is also great, and moved so sleek during the waltz with Heidi. That was nice. Best dance of the evening.

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=princess07;1993490]Last night show was quite interesting. They all gave their best but you could tell that the stress was wearing them down a bit. The leg lifts wasn't as strong and the facial expression wasn't as energetic. But all in all it was okay.

I agree, as a whole the dances weren't as strong as they've been in past weeks. I'm sure the mental as well as the physical stress is getting to all of them.

In the beginning I really loved Donyelle. I thought the way she moved and the character she brought to her dancing was just amazing. But I have to say that she has really been off her game the last couple of weeks while the other girls, especially Heidi, have been getting stronger. I would have to say for the girls Heidi has a definite lock on first with possibly Natalie also making the final four. Sadly I think it's time for Donyelle to go.

For the guys Benji is still my favorite. I didn't think he had quite the energy last night that he normally has but I still really enjoyed his performances. I think Travis is an amazing dancer and deserves to be in the final four along with Benji but he hasn't quite captured me with his performances the way Benji has.

I'm hoping the final four will be Benji, Heidi, Travis and Natalie in that order.

FORT Newbie
    Re: Natalie, I have to say that I felt Mia's comment was right on target. It's exactly what's been nagging at me about Natalie this whole time. I think she's a lovely girl and an amazing dancer, but her face really distracts me. Not because she's unattractive, but for the exact reason Mia mentioned - her expressions are often very contrived. Yes, now and again she's shown real emotion, but I frequently get a sense of HEY I'M GOING TO TELEGRAPH SOME EMOTION FOR YOU NOW WATCH OK?? when she's dancng. Allison smiled in the exact same way all the time, Heidi did that squinchy thing that she's managed to stop for the most part, but Natalie telegraphs. There has to be a happy medium between her expressions and, say, Ryan's. It's a little too forced and cheerleader-y for me.

Do you guys sometimes think that the dancers stopped giving it their all because they know that they will be on tour and don't really care to win this thing? Last year those guys were giving it their all to very end because they didn't have that tour options to look forward to.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by princess07 View Post
    Do you guys sometimes think that the dancers stopped giving it their all because they know that they will be on tour and don't really care to win this thing?
    I agree with the assessment that they are just mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted at this time. Heidi and Benji seem to be holding up the best, but you would expect that because they are professionals and their specialties are HIGH energy.

In addition to this I think they may be discouraged that the competition has been reduced to a popularity contest. They know that it doesn't matter how well they dance, because America is only voting for their favorites, not the best. This really hit home for them when Allison was sent home and although she has gotten progressively worse every week since the couple mix-up, Donyelle remains.

FYI, re Benji: he was hospitalized over the weekend, so I think that explains some of his sluggishness (though he is so quick in general it's odd to say that), and Donyelle had to be hurt, plus she lost practice time with Benji.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Quote Originally Posted by madonniac View Post
    Am I a lone Heidi fan? I just voted several times and didn't hear a single busy tone. Then voted for Travis and Benji too and no busy tone there either. Is the East coast and Central time zone not watching???
    I'm a HUGE Heidi fan, madonniac, as is everyone else in my household. The male vote is split, however: I adore Benji, my S.O. loves Travis and other roomie still can't let go of her Russian Love aka The Man Who Bares His Chest.

I called Heidi's, Benji's and Donyelle's numbers for 2 hours last night; I got through to ALL of them 100% of the time. Despite the fact that Nigel keeps telling us how popular the show is, I've only had troubles voting for Benji once, and that was several weeks ago.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat View Post
    FYI, re Benji: he was hospitalized over the weekend, so I think that explains some of his sluggishness (though he is so quick in general it's odd to say that), and Donyelle had to be hurt, plus she lost practice time with Benji.
    I heard exactly the same thing. He had a strep infection (swollen glands, fever, etc.) I would not have been suprised to see his performance really suffer as a result of the illness, but not good old Benji. Professional to the end.

I find it hard to believe that last night was the first time the judges even noticed that Donyelle does not always finish up arm movements, and doesn't have the speed and snap of Benji. Even if you go all the way back to their first hip-hop routine, you will notice that Benji's movement is cleaner and more extended, and his footwork is superior. The more I see of Donyelle lately, the more I wonder how much support she got from Benji that other male dancers were not able to give, and therefore her performance suffered with later partners. On a sympathetic note....my toe hurts just watching her dance. Ouch!

My picks for the final two.....Heidi and Benji.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I'm a HUGE Heidi fan, madonniac, as is everyone else in my household. The male vote is split, however: I adore Benji, my S.O. loves Travis and other roomie still can't let go of her Russian Love aka The Man Who Bares His Chest.

I called Heidi's, Benji's and Donyelle's numbers for 2 hours last night; I got through to ALL of them 100% of the time. Despite the fact that Nigel keeps telling us how popular the show is, I've only had troubles voting for Benji once, and that was several weeks ago.
    I've had the same experience. I called for an hour last night, and never once failed to get through (for Benji). It's been that way every week. Either they must have LOTS of phone lines, or the east coast is done voting by the time we start, or both I guess.

I did get a couple of busy signals for Benji a few weeks ago, but that was the first and last time so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast