+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So You Think You Can Dance 7/26 Recap: Dancing On The Edge

So You Think You Can Dance 7/26 Recap: Dancing On The Edge

We're back to one hour again tonight, dance fans. Only four couples are left in the competition now, and Cat, complete with bed-head and a decent dress for a change, introduces our judges for the night: Nigel (of course), Mary (damn!), and Dan. He's better than those Cicely and Olisa girls, who add nada to the show and do nothing but mimic whatever Nigel says. Anyway, the eight remaining dancers will still pull a random partner, and they must perform two routines tonight. Let's see how they did...

Donyelle and Travis
    "London Bridge" – Fergie
    Shane Sparks starts us off tonight with a hip hop routine, and he wants Donyelle and Travis to embody jungle animals for the dance. She, a kangaroo, and Travis is a monkey. Err, okay. I have no problem with that, but I do have a problem with the bizarre masks they have to wear! Looking like Friday the 13th’s Jason getting down in a club, they do pretty well considering that they probably can’t see a damn thing. They were out of synch at times, though, and Donyelle just seemed tired. Nigel liked the dance, but agreed with me on the masks - they were a distraction, and we couldn't see the emotion in their faces. Mary, of course, disagrees. She loved it. Dan is in the middle, not liking the masks but enjoying the dance.

Allison and Ivan
    "La Cumparsita" – Orquestra Escuela de Tango
    Together again are Allison and Ivan, and they draw an Argentine Tango. Ivan says he's going to give 110% for this one, and he makes good on that promise. Lots of dramatic leg sweeps and kicks by the both of them. Not as good as their previous tango, but it was still fun to watch. The judges all loved it, with the only negative comment coming from Nigel, who said that Ivan wasn't as steady as he would have liked. Dan tells the couple that the first time he saw them dance, Allison worked Ivan all over the floor. This time, it was Ivan's turn to work her.

Natalie and Ryan
    "Turn the Beat Around" – Vicki Sue Robinson
    Finally, Ryan gets his wish to have Natalie as a partner. Will he actually step it up and show some personality this time? Well....no. Once again, he disappeared on the stage, overshadowed by his partner. The judges give the performance a thumbs down, saying there was no chemistry between the two (that must kill Ryan) and that Ryan wasn't strong enough. Nigel says Natalie was fiery and energetic, but Mary deadpans "Disco Inferno. Not." Dan basically said it sucked. Ryan is so gone this week. And I wish Natalie would stop getting stuck with duds for partners. It's a shame.

Heidi and Benji
    "Fake Your Way to the Top" – Dreamgirls
    Reunited again, audition partners (and crowd favorites) Benji and Heidi pick Broadway for their routine. Choreographer Tice has come up with a church revival-themed dance, and the cutesy couple yuk it up during practice. They bring that playfulness and energy into their performance, earning great reviews from the panel. Nigel hollers "I believe!" and Mary screams "Amen!" Okay, enough already, you two. The only reason I'll be glad when this show is over, is that I won't have to listen to that crazy-ass woman anymore. And one more thing - what on earth was that godawful thing they made Heidi wear? It was covered in silver sequins and looked like it had a dead flamingo attached to the bottom. Not only was it ugly as homemade sin, but it fit like a potato sack. Come on, wardrobe!

Donyelle and Travis
    "Dancin’ Fool" - Barry Manilow
    These two get stuck with the deadly quick step. To Barry Manilow. *shudder* Now, the quick step hasn't proven to be such a great dance on this show, and I hope these two can finally get this one right. Sadly, they didn't. Their posture was off, they lost the rhythm, and it was just not good. They really should dump this style, in my opinion. Nigel didn't like it, Mary says her favorite part was the end (but she loves them both), and Dan thought it was painful. Ouch.

Allison and Ivan
    "Sexy Love" – Ne-Yo
    Here's another hip hop dance by Shane, and he brings out more props. No masks this time, it's umbrellas. Yes, this is going to be a romantic hip hop. I've never heard of such a thing, but they pull it off. A very different style, much nicer than the nasty butt-shaking crap we've seen too much of already. Plus, they're so cute together. The panel liked the routine, with Nigel saying it was a lovely style, no booty-spanking stuff. Mary thought it was beautiful and Dan thought it was hot.

Natalie and Ryan
    "I Will Get There" – Boyz II Men
    Nat and Ryan draw contemporary, choreographed by Tice. He tells them they have to have passion for this one, and I know we're in trouble then. Ryan just doesn't bring the emotion like Natalie can. She tells us that Ryan is sweet, and one of her best friends on the show! You can give it up now, Ryan. She called you the f-word, that was the kiss of death. So was this routine, as the judges gave it lukewarm reviews, calling Natalie beautiful (even though she looks like she's about to fall during a pirouette) and chiding Ryan for not finishing it off. Yeah, he's gone.

Benji and Heidi
    "Black Mambo" – Angel and the Mambokats
    Finishing up the show is a club mambo routine by Alex, who says this is the fastest he has ever choreographed. I can hardly keep up just watching Alex demonstrate, and Benji exclaims "Holy poo!" at the sight. Wash that boy's mouth out with soap! Such language. Anyway, the two have trouble keeping up the pace in practice, but they bring it for their performance. Just, wow. I don't get the stupid scarf on Benji (I would really like to talk to these wardrobe people) but they were great. Nigel says it was the best routine of the night, magnificent. Mary thought it was the best mambo they've seen, and Dan thought it was the most professional routine, ever.

That's all for now, dear readers. Two more dancers will get their hopes and dreams crushed tomorrow. Will it be Ryan, who has all the personality of a piece of toast? Or maybe Donyelle, who just seems to be losing that spark she once had? Check out the results show with us to find out!

Damn. No Artem this week....waywyrd@fansofrealitytv.com
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Awesome job, as always, Waywyrd!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    Looking like Friday the 13th’s Jason getting down in a club, they do pretty well considering that they probably can’t see a damn thing.

Wash that boy's mouth out with soap! Such language.

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    I finally watched this show for the first time this season and was mad that I hadn't caught the earlier episodes. Waywyrd, your analysis was great!
    Not only was it ugly as homemade sin, but it fit like a potato sack. Come on, wardrobe

I so agree with you talking to the wardrobe people!! Maybe these are rejects from Project Runway! I also agree that Benji and Heidi were great with both dances!
    Good job, I"m looking forward to the rest of the season and your reviews!
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    Great recap! Though I'm still pondering as to who the heck SYTYCD hired for a wardrobe team because although I love Donyelle and Travis, their clothes just screamed "Phantom of the Opera meets gansta!" Oy!
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

Quote Originally Posted by KarateGirl1387 View Post
    Great recap! Though I'm still pondering as to who the heck SYTYCD hired for a wardrobe team because although I love Donyelle and Travis, their clothes just screamed "Phantom of the Opera meets gansta!" Oy!
    That's what I thought, The phantom! hehe, I think Benji and Heidi did the best of the night.

Loved the recap!
    "Walking on poetry...she's a monologue in shakespearean tragedy"

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    Oh indeed! Their mambo was amazingly hot! I liked the song, too, which I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet or even as a CD.
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

FORT Newbie
    Nigel (of course), Mary (damn!), and Dan. He's better than those Cicely and Olisa girls, who add nada to the show and do nothing but mimic whatever Nigel says.

no, actually they do give a hip hop perspective to the judging...more so than Dan Karaty or Brian.
    Last edited by John; 07-30-2006 at 06:25 PM.

FORT Newbie
    I absolutely loved Allison and Ivan's slow hiphop piece! I was prepared for more stage-humping, and was so pleasantly surprised. This makes me think that the show should explore crosses between styles of dancing more often!

FORT Newbie

Where to get Angel and the Mambokats "Black Mambo"

Hi, fans of that smokin'-hot mambo that Heidi and Benji danced, choreoggraphed by Alex DaSilva. I want that song too -- "Black Mambo". I found several posts from Angel of Angel and the Mambokats on the official site, he's SPAM'ed pretty much every thread. They will have their own website soon at angel and the mambokats dot com .

But Alex D. is already selling their CD on his own website.
    If you want a whole CD of their music, you can get it with PayPal.

That's it for now, Latin dancing and SYTYCD fans! Oh by the way, I totally agree with the person who said Mia's trying to engineer it so Travis will win by saying Benji has "limitations" -- previously not mentioned by ANY of the judges at ANY time, including herself.

I'd go a step farther and say that, since Mia choreographed Celine's show and the winner of Season 2 SYTYCD will in effect work for her for a year as part of their prize package, I believe Mia should never have been a judge of the final 20. She could choreograph them, but it's an obvious conflict of interest for her to be able to influence the voters directly with her opinions. Like someone said, if they need a new dancer for the Celine Dion show they should just hold an audition.

I think it's an inherent flaw of SYTYCD to try to give the winner a paid gig for a year -- it skews the choice of "America's favourite dancer" -- FAVOURITE, people, not the one best suited to the contract job. Pay them a wad, give them a car, lease them a nice apartment in a town where there are lots of dance jobs, but let them find their own work, which I firmly believe they would. Just MHO....

Rock the Boat
    (a trained ballroom, ethnic and contemporary dancer in Canada)

+ Reply to Thread