+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 7/20 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I don't find Ryan's dancing intrinsically expressive at all, and I'm not referring to making faces. If Travis and Ryan, who are similar dancers, both performed the same choreography with all other things being equal, Travis would be able to express the soul of the music and choreography even without resorting to histrionics. Ryan, OTOH, is apparently unable to pull emotion out of himself when he dances (he saves it for afterwards, I guess). That's why he's so boring to watch.

So the criticisms the judges are giving him are right on the mark, IMO. It's a little like the difference between Mozart and Salieri in Amadeus - one was extremely proficient, an excellent technician while the other had the extra spark that made him the genius.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

FORT Fogey
    Ewwwwww. I just had a horrible thought.

What if Nigel finds a way to knock Benji out of the competition and the final two guys end up being Ryan and Travis? That would be HORRIBLE!

I know they are supposed to be going by "America's Favorite" and phone voting but I don't put anything by these 19E people...

FORT Fogey
    Nigel, Mary, Mia, Brian, Dan and Shane are the only judges that should appear. Cicily and Olisa must go. They bring nothing insightful to the table. They merely regurgitate Nigels opinion and do not articulate that well either. Making gestures and using street talk says little, other than illustrating that they do not have a good command of language. The random guest judges have no credibility, for me.

Donyelle, the entire package of this girl has a strong hold on the judges and viewer's hearts. I don't think she is the best dancer or will work well in Celines show but everyone loves her sweet quiet nature and underdog status. I expect to see her stand next to Heidi as the two top females even though Alison should take her place.

I wish the judges remained in charge

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727 View Post
    Ewwwwww. I just had a horrible thought.

What if Nigel finds a way to knock Benji out of the competition and the final two guys end up being Ryan and Travis? That would be HORRIBLE!

I know they are supposed to be going by "America's Favorite" and phone voting but I don't put anything by these 19E people...
    If Mia thought she couldn't work with Benji, we would have seen more subtle criticism from the beginning. Nothing too harsh, as it would have aroused the rabid fans, but something akin to pointing out different things that "you need to work on" or more "it was ok, not your best" comments. I believe that everyone in the final 10 has passed the "can you work with this person" test. If they haven't, shame on 19E. True, Benji never faced the final three judgement, but, in my opinion, he wouldn't have been booted before Musa even if he had.

FORT Newbie
    I LOVE Cicily and Olisa on the judging panel, afterall this IS a TV SHOW, but it SHOULD be countered with some very technical judging at the same time. I love Heidi, she's one of my favorites but I doubt she will make it to the top two females, my guess is that it will be Allison or Donyelle or a SLIGHT chance of Natalie, but either way my guess is Heidi is the next to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbieloohoo View Post
    Natalie is the one with the hurt knee and since she has been taping her leg as well I think her spinning thing she did may not have been worth the "wow". Think we have been seeing tears of pain not joy when she has been dancing.

Travis is the best dancer followed by Benji in the guys. The girls it would have to be Allison followed by Heidi.
    I agree about Natalie's tears and that Travis is the best male dancer followed by Benji. My only disagreement is that I would put Natalie as the best female dancer followed by Heidi. Allison may be a slightly better dancer than Natalie, but Natalie has the passion and the ability to project it that Allison doesn't and that is HUGE. Of course, we don't know how bad Natalie's injury is and it could be the difference between winning and losing for her.

I do think that with the women being soooo much stronger than the men this year, the show is hoping for a female winner.

Quote Originally Posted by guide54
    Tonight I thought Benji was really dumfounded when he didn't get sent to the bottom two. The look on his face was one of total amazement when he found out he was safe.
    Benji is a wonderful dancer. He is also a drama king. He must know that he has a large and (inexplicably) faithful fan base. His shocked look was pure acting. I was as offended by that as I was by his tearful tale of woe when he got into the final 20. I think that bit of fabricating hooked many people without them stopping to thing how improbable it was. I suppose in this business you have to use all you can, but it would be nice for his dancing to be enough.

Ugh - I guess if you don't like somebody, you just interpret everything they do in the worst possible light. (We all do, of course…)

to me, Benji appears a genuine, self effacing, humble guy who enjoys his work but doesn't take anything for granted. He also knew Natalie was in the bottom 2, and that their routines had left room. He's the least pretentious or phony guy on the show.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    I don't find Ryan's dancing intrinsically expressive at all, and I'm not referring to making faces. If Travis and Ryan, who are similar dancers, both performed the same choreography with all other things being equal, Travis would be able to express the soul of the music and choreography even without resorting to histrionics. Ryan, OTOH, is apparently unable to pull emotion out of himself when he dances (he saves it for afterwards, I guess). That's why he's so boring to watch.

So the criticisms the judges are giving him are right on the mark, IMO. It's a little like the difference between Mozart and Salieri in Amadeus - one was extremely proficient, an excellent technician while the other had the extra spark that made him the genius.
    i agree hundred percent with you. travis is able to portray the passion and soul when he dances. Youre able to feel what hes doing. But Ryan he has all these great lines and elevation, but has nothing behind it all. I thought Ryan should have left this week and Dimitry or Ivan next, leaving Benji and Travis in the end.

Travis is by far the best male dancer in my opinion. With the girls, I think Allison is the best followed by Natalie.

FORT Fogey
    I thought Travis and Heidi "brought the magic" Wednesday night. I'd be really happy to see Travis & Heidi, Benji & Donyelle as the Final 4.

I've watched Travis and Heidi's Paso Doble several times and it was just wonderful. I felt like T&H were able to create that unspoken "support system" that Benji & Donyelle seemed to have when they danced as a couple -- where neither really tried to outshine the other one, where the dance became a bigger thing than just two people.

I think Natalie and Ryan both would do better as soloists.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678