+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballroom 101

Ballroom 101

For those curious about the world of partner dancing:

Ballroom – actually has two styles:

I. International Style – for serious competitors as this is what everyone else in the world does

Standard Dances – always done in close position (dancers facing each other bodies close together) so it looks rather boring at times and has NEVER been done on this show.
    1. Waltz
    2. Foxtrot
    3. Tango
    4. Viennese Waltz
    5. Quickstep – what has been done is some weird American version since they were not in close position

Latin Dances – hot and sexy (Artem!)
    1. Cha Cha Cha
    2. Rumba
    3. Samba
    4. Paso Doble
    5. Jive

II. American Style – more social and fun, uses closed and open positions, much more free, only competed in America, Fred Astaire style

Smooth Dances
    1. Waltz
    2. Foxtrot
    3. Tango
    4. Viennese Waltz

Rhythm Dances
    1. Cha Cha
    2. Rumba
    3. East Coast Swing
    4. Mambo
    5. Bolero (even slower than rumba, not very popular)

http://www.usabda.org/ for ballroom info

Other partner dances

West Coast Swing – have their own dance circuit, judges, competitions, etc. Versatile dance, can be done to slow and sexy tempos or fast frentic tempos, done in a slot. Popular on, yeah you guessed, the west coast. http://www.nasde.com/ for info

Lindy Hop – also have their own circuit and competitions

Salsa – also have their own circuit and competitions, similar but much looser than mambo, and done on the 1 count instead of the 2 count

Hustle – also a slot dance, have their own circuit and competitions

Country – have their own competitions, shows, judges, world championships, etc…Compete in 6 dances: two-step, waltz, EC Swing, WC Swing, cha cha and polka. http://www.ucwdc.org/ for info

Argentine Tango – have their own competitions and circuit

That’s what I know. I’m sure there is more. Hope I didn't screw something up. What I’d really like is to learn more about is styles of non partner dance since I'm clueless.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Very interesting!! Thanks for posting. I know very little about dancing (one year of ballet when I was about 7 + numerous winters growing up in the North where dancing [square dancing, line dancing...even learning the Hustle in 6th or 7th grade] was a regular part of gym class). However, I did a few quick searches and came up with the following non-partner dances:

* Ballet
    * Tap
    * Belly dancing
    * Jazz
    * Hip-Hop
    * Breakdancing
    * Contemporary
    * "Krumping"

Of course, there's other kinds of non-partner dances, like line dances, all sorts of traditional folk dances, hula, etc.

Plus, I could have sworn I saw somewhere that in one of the earlier episodes of SYTYCD2, that a pair danced "Broadway" style. Is that like Chicago (i.e., Fosse's style)?

Where does the merengue fit in? Is that part of salsa? Like I said, I know very little about dancing, but I'm enjoying learning as I watch the show and read these boards.

Good grief. People are still seriously doing the Hustle? I thought that died in 1978. And it's a partner dance? I remember it as a side-by-side dance with no interaction between the dancers (of course, I was 11 or 12 at the time).
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

jasmar you are thinking of the song "The Hustle" which had a line dance to it. Yeah, the hustle is a partner dance, basically what they do in "disco." And yeah it is very popular - they have national championships in New York called "Hustle USA" and it is quite competitive!

Meringue like salsa is a social, not competitive, latin dance.

I totally forgot about folk dancing or square dancing. LOL I'd love to see square dancers audition! What a hoot.
    www.chemkim.com

Great thread Dr. Kim-

If I can add a little bit:

At my studio we basically consider three major genres of western social partnered dance, although it doesn't necessarily pertain to how things are divided up officially by any circuits:

Ballroom- This obviously includes tango, waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, peabody, pasodoble, but also the competitive ballroom versions of things like samba, salsa, chacha, rumba, etc. This is basically what you'd see on PBS's ballroom competitions.

Latin- The SOCAILLY danced Latin dances are totally different from the ballroom competitive versions (there ARE competitions for these dances, but they don't follow the rules that ballroom Latin competitions do). This is stuff like salsa, "street" mambo, cumbia, merengue, bachata, "street" or Brazilian samba, bomba (the "Cuban rumba"). It's hard to describe the difference between these and their ballroom counterparts, but you would definitely recognize it. People dancing a ballroom-style mambo would stick out like a sore thumb at a real salsa club, just as authentic mambo would be disqualified from a ballroom Latin competition.

American- Kind of a catch-all for the swing genre and other partner dances neither Latin nor ballroom. This includes ALL varieties of swing (east coast, "swingy" west coast swing, jive, jitterbug, carolina shag, collegiate shag, lindy hop, balboa, charleston, etc), the country dances (country two-step, country nightclub two-step), and partnered nightclub/contemporary dances ("funky" west coast swing, hustle, contemporary nightclub 2-step, chicago steppin'). To make it more confusing, "ballroom" competitions have standardized and incorporated some of these dances- so the west coast Ron Montez (a competitive ballroom-style Latin dancer, the one who did Ivan & Allison's routine) does is very different from that danced by Jordan Frisbee & Tatiana or Benji & Heidi (top wcs dancers on the non-ballroom West Coast Swing circuit).

I specialize in the nightclub dances (wcs, hustle, nc2s, steppin), but do all of them (except really obscure ones like balboa and peabody).

And yeah, Hustle is an AWESOME dance! There's about a dozen different styles of hustle, but the most popular now are ballroom and New York. I find ballroom hustle kind of boring and cheesy, but New York style is really smooth and exciting- lots of explosion lines, yoyos, rolling breaks... really fun stuff!

...and I'm gonna go out dancin' now!
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Fogey
    And what about clogging? I remember when people used to get together to do that...

You don't partner for clogging do you? Hum, why don't they ever do a polka! That's a partner dance. And there's is always Flamenco dancing - I forgot about that one.

And Aota is right. The official competitive version of a ballroom dance is totally different from the social version. And yeah, often there are competitions for the social versions too.

That show Dancing with the Stars follows ballroom rules pretty well. I really like that show.
    www.chemkim.com

I would love to see a Bhangra or Bharata Natyam-inspired routine.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

((sigh)) Since Mr. J. doesn't like to dance, I'm going to have to get out my skates and call my old dance partner. This discussion is making me want to get back out there!

(Incidentally, we do an extremely quick polka on the ice that's a blast!)
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

FORT Fan

changing styles is hard

It's really hard to change to a different style-- the energy is centered in such different places in the dancers' bodies. I remember taking a folk dance class at UCLA; I was partnered for a waltz and polka with an Asian guy because we were the two smallest people in the class. I was glad he was small, because he stepped on my toes quite often.

I just thought he was some klutz taking the class to try to improve his coordination. Then I found out he was hanging around the dance department because he was guest-teaching. This guy was the foremost Balinese dancer in the world, and considered a cultural treasure in Bali.

When he demonstrated his own kind of dance for the class, he was instantly transformed into an otherworldly creature of superhuman abilities. But he couldn't waltz to save his life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast