+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballroom 101

To see more real west coast swing, I definitely recommend checking out Jordan Frisbee & Tatiana Mollmann.

Take a look at their routine at "Swing Diego" (a west coast swing competition in San Diego, CA) under "Media" at www.jordantatianaswing.com

You can see how the style of WCS is VERY different from more popular east coast swing- smooth, slick, subtle, a little funky. Jordan and Tatiana are AMAZING west coast swing dancers- quite possible the best.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Fogey
    Oh wow, that is sweet! Thanks for that link, Aota Bass.

Aota that is an awesome link. The "Swing Diego" is definately the best dance to click on. They are still new to me! But honestly I like their style better than Heidi and Benji. Of course they compete in different categories. I love the Classic division.

My favorite WCS dancers are Barry Jones, Mario Robau, Deborah Szekeley and Sarah Van Drake. I think Sarah would do very well in this competition actually. I'd love to know what you think Aota?

Go to http://www.usopenswingdc.com/
    On the right side you can see both Heidi and Benji's winning video and Jordan and Tatiana's winning video.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Yeah- Kyle & Sarah are fantastic.

What I love about Deborah Szekely is how she can match pretty much ANY partner she's given- she's a WONDERFUL wcs follow.

I'd have to go with Jordan & Tatiana as my favorite west coast swing couple, personally. And I think they'd both be fantastic in this competition, but since Benji & Heidi beat them to it I doubt Nigel would want another young wcs champion couple next season. I just love Jordan & Tatiana's style- it's everything west coast swing should be.

I'll be at Chicagoland in a couple weeks and I'll be sure to report on the top dancers

I sure hope Heidi & Benji can keep competing after SYTYCD. It seems like something the producers might veto- "no dancing unless 19E gets 60%" or something like that.
    Last edited by Aota Bass; 07-27-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass View Post
    To see more real west coast swing, I definitely recommend checking out Jordan Frisbee & Tatiana Mollmann.

Take a look at their routine at "Swing Diego" (a west coast swing competition in San Diego, CA) under "Media" at www.jordantatianaswing.com

You can see how the style of WCS is VERY different from more popular east coast swing- smooth, slick, subtle, a little funky. Jordan and Tatiana are AMAZING west coast swing dancers- quite possible the best.
    They are amazing. I have seen them perform on many occasion.

You made me laugh in an earlier post. I couldn't believe someone mentioned Balboa and the Peabody. The only thing you missed is Carolina Shag and Collegiate Shag...okay, maybe DC Hand Dancing, but that is a lame dance anyway. ;-)

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by drkim View Post
    Aota that is an awesome link. The "Swing Diego" is definately the best dance to click on. They are still new to me! But honestly I like their style better than Heidi and Benji. Of course they compete in different categories. I love the Classic division.

My favorite WCS dancers are Barry Jones, Mario Robau, Deborah Szekeley and Sarah Van Drake. I think Sarah would do very well in this competition actually. I'd love to know what you think Aota?

On the right side you can see both Heidi and Benji's winning video and Jordan and Tatiana's winning video.

I don't know. I love Sarah's dancing. I just can't see her on the show. (Plus, I believe she is too old for the age requirement.) The only couple I can really see being competitive is Jordan and Tatiana, and I have my doubts. But then again, I really didn't think Benji and Heidi were going to do as well as they have.

Deborah Szekeley in her prime. Breathtaking. Just amazing.

Wexie - I didn't know there was an age requirement, but duh I'm sure there is. I haven't seen any west coast in 5 years, but always loved Deborah SayK the best, then Sarah. Never liked Kyle much.

Deborah in her prime would have rocked this show. I think she is my alltime favorite.

Aota I used to belong to the Chicago Rebels, back in the Barry Jones days. PM me the scoop when you return. Since my injury no dancing for me, and I miss it so much. Just had a crazy thought - what if I know you???

What will happen if Benji, or Heidi for that matter, wins??? With the contract, they won't be able to compete together in WCS? Hum - is that actually a good idea??? I guess Heidi would continue in Latin with Dmitri. I can't imagine them not being at the US Open this November.
    www.chemkim.com

FORT Fogey
    I thought Benji dropped out of dance for two years to go on his mission for his church?

I can't see this show picking up another pair of swing dancers next time around. Also, looking at Jordan & Tatiana's website and seeing that they've been on Star Search -- I wonder if they haven't already tried out for this program? With the large groups they attract at auditions, I think a lot of semi-professional/professional dancers try out. We don't get to see everyone who tries out. And Nigel always likes to create that "TV magic" by putting the people he wants (versus "the best dancers") in the show.

Nigel is going to have a hard time next season trying to create the kind of magic he got this season... He just managed to get the right combination of dancing skills and personalities.

I agree, this season was spectacular. I thought Am Idol peaked season 2 myself. But I adored Clay and haven't liked anyone else near as much. It will be interesting to see SYTYCD season 3.

Oh and I think Benji was gone 2002-2004. Which matches US Open results winning in 2001 and 2005.
    www.chemkim.com

In the mountains waiting for the snow to arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by drkim View Post

Just watched Benji's and Heidi's video performance from 2005 - and what I thought was most interesting (besides the fact of how good they are together) was they had many moves in that performance that they used in Weds. Mumbo routine, so who is really doing the choreography - I guess they must be asking the dancers for input.... No wonder it look the most professional.
    Faith grows from little seeds of Hope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast