+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Benji Schwimmer - Season 2 (Choreographer)

FORT Fogey

Re: Benji - Season 2

The thing I liked about Benji was that he brought so much joy to dancing! He was truly fun to watch!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

It was nice to see him again. He is such a great dancer and brings joy when he is on the stage. I was really happy for him last year.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I just watched "Candyman." He looks awesome! I can't wait to see what else he does.
    Why is it boys talk so much, when they have nothing to say? And girls have plenty to say, but no one will listen?
    --Vada Sultenfuss

Benji finally came out:
    ‘SYTYCD’ Champ Benji Schwimmer Comes Out as Gay in Fascinating Interview
    By Lyndsey Parker | Reality Rocks – 8 hours ago

Homosexuality is relatively accepted in the dance world, and "So You Think You Can Dance" winner Benji Schwimmer certainly isn't the first alum from the show to come out (his Season 2 runner-up, Travis Wall, is out, as is Season 1 winner Nick Lazzarini and last season's runner-up, Sasha Mallory). But Benji also comes from the Mormon world, and so his decision to live life as an openly gay man, which he publicly announced this week, was an extremely agonized one.

In a fascinating and frank new in-depth interview with MormonStories.org, Benji discusses his struggle to come to terms with his sexuality and his devout Latter Day Saints faith, and his ultimate decision to leave the church last year. The interview is more than two hours long, which is obviously a major time commitment...but it's really worth the investment. It'll break your heart and open your mind at the same time.

Kudos to Benji for being so brave!
    ‘SYTYCD’ Champ Benji Schwimmer Comes Out as Gay in Fascinating Interview | Reality Rocks (New) - Yahoo! Music

This is the first part of a three part interview. It's over 90 minutes (I know, good grief) and the other two parts hover around 2 hours each. So yeah, if you want to watch nearly six hours of Benji, there you go. I argue with the adjective "fascinating" in the article title. I made it about 5 minutes. I think about 10 minutes would have been enough.
    Mormon Stories 350: Benji Schwimmer Pt. 1 - Early Years and LDS Mission - YouTube
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Benji Schwimmer - Season 2 (Choreographer)

Good for him! I never really doubted that he was gay but I'm glad he feels comfortable enough to live openly now.

I am happy for him. I never doubted he was gay either., such an upbeat person.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I agree. It was pretty clear he was gay. Point is, it didn't matter. What a sweet man and such a talented dancer!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I agree. It was pretty clear he was gay. Point is, it didn't matter. What a sweet man and such a talented dancer!
    ITA.

I just read Sasha's article and I totally agree with her stance and respect that she didn't feel like viewers had to know everything about her personal life. For me, it is admirable that she didn't try to use her sexuality for votes. Sasha was herself and was an incredible dancer...she shouldn't feel forced to share and I'm glad she was not prodded by producers for the sake of drama.

I know some people won't agree with me but sexuality is so transient and largely unimportant--we need to stop worrying about who is gay and straight and just get to know our fellow human beings instead of judging them based on factors outside of their control. This is why it often bothers me when a contestant's story is all/only about their sexuality (and, granted it could be producer manipulation)--I just wonder "ok, now, what else is there about you that we can share...surely you aren't just gay and thats the end of your story and entirely encompasses who you are." It makes me sad that our society has produced, allowed and devolved into this nonsense.
    Florimel and Coco46 like this.

I know some people won't agree with me but sexuality is so transient and largely unimportant--
    I agree 100% with you. I am also so tired of others trying to 'out' someone. Just bug off and live your life and let them live theirs. They are not harming anyone. It makes me very angry. Its none of our business, none!
    Florimel and Coco46 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Benji finally came out:

‘SYTYCD’ Champ Benji Schwimmer Comes Out as Gay in Fascinating Interview | Reality Rocks (New) - Yahoo! Music

This is the first part of a three part interview. It's over 90 minutes (I know, good grief) and the other two parts hover around 2 hours each. So yeah, if you want to watch nearly six hours of Benji, there you go. I argue with the adjective "fascinating" in the article title. I made it about 5 minutes. I think about 10 minutes would have been enough.
    Mormon Stories 350: Benji Schwimmer Pt. 1 - Early Years and LDS Mission - YouTube
    As a former Mormon, I found Part 3 of the interview to be a great look into the hell that comes with being a true believer in an institution that tells you that who you are isn't OK. I'm very happy for him that he was finally able to find a way to be at peace with leaving what was for him a very unhealthy environment.

I also have to say that he's matured a lot and seems much more "real" and less hyper these days.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 06-07-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread