+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Blake McGrath - Season 1

What a sweetheart SweetBabyClay's Avatar
    Well, that's why FOX has that disclaimer in the end credits of the show saying "Beacuse of the nature of the dance world, Contestants may have worked with the judges previously." or somethibng to that effect.
    Life is like a bowl of Vincents- you never know when you're gonna get sca-rewwed.

FORT Newbie
    I think the untrained dancers vs. trained dancers argument is a much better one than the professional one. Him being a pro has nothing to do with anything. A lot of these people are. Nick, Melody, Michelle, and Kamilah (worked with Usher and Dru Hill) all are. You can even make the argument that Artem is, although he might not technically be. My point is, almost every dancer in this competition has been trained. Most of them since a very young age. So those that were are all on the same playing field, IMO. Blake just happens to have been the one to really go for it and make it happen on a big level. Any of these dancers could be in Blake's position.

To me the point of the show is to raise awareness about the dancers to help their careers. That's happening. Blake being on the show doesn't negatively effect that at all. In fact, him being on the show helps because it shows that these dancers can hold their own against a guy who's danced with Britney, Beyonce etc.

It's not like American Idol where the winner gets a contract. So him winning won't take anything away from anyone else. $100,000 is a lot of money for ANY dancer, and this is a nice little thing to put on a resume. All these dancers now have recognition and will probably get jobs off of this show, regardless of who wins. So Blake being on the show is all good, IMO.

Very incisive comments. You are right. They are all getting the exposure from this that may further their careers, regardless of who wins. Blake has set the bar pretty high, but there are quite a few who are right behind him in singular talent - Nick and Craig on the men's side and Melody and Ashley for the women. The trick to who wins will be how they can dance as couples. That will be the real challenge for Blake.

Kao
    Don't forget the free apartment in NY for a year...that's something that people would deliberately trip other people for in the hopes that they will break their legs and have to quit the competition.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    Don't forget the free apartment in NY for a year...that's something that people would deliberately trip other people for in the hopes that they will break their legs and have to quit the competition.
    Heck I'd rather have the free apartment in NY for a year....WOO HOO!!! Give me one with a view of the Manhattan skyline....it'd probably be one with a view of another apartment building...but what the heck...its free and its in New York, right?!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I wonder if Blake is a plant. I can't help but notice that whether people love him or hate him, he is getting the most attention of any dancer on the show. Maybe he is just around to get viewers.

Either way, I was kind of irritated that Dan Karaty told Destini that she was "so lucky to be Blake's partner..." and basically credited all of their success to him. They are in a partnership and, as they say, "it takes two to tango" (or do a lyrical piece in pairs).

What a sweetheart SweetBabyClay's Avatar
    I saw Dan's comment as a way to bring Destiny back to reality over the fact hat she was WAY overmatched by Blake, and also to get back at her over her total Blake bashing during the Hollywood rounds.
    Life is like a bowl of Vincents- you never know when you're gonna get sca-rewwed.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetBabyClay
    I saw Dan's comment as a way to bring Destiny back to reality over the fact hat she was WAY overmatched by Blake, and also to get back at her over her total Blake bashing during the Hollywood rounds.
    Hmm did Destini bash Blake? Don't remember that hehe. I do remember that wonderful comment made by her with all that sass... what was it again? Oh yeah, "I don't care if he dances for Jesus, I'm still gonna do my thing!" or something like that.
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

Silent Lover To All TymeMarteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    Name one contest where they would let a contestant through that had some sort of relationship with one of the judges. In fact, most contest go out of their way to avoid that sort of scenario. And let's face it, if you're doing back-up dancing for Brittany Spears and other major acts you really don't need this show!

Do I think that Blake is a fan-freaking-tastic dancer? Totally! He's one of the best on here! However, the whole premise of this show is to give someone their big break. Blake doesn't NEED a big break! The dude teaches, dances with major acts and has been written up in a major dance magazine. He's doing okay.
    The thing about this statement that bothers me is that prior to the show, no one knew who Blake McGrath was, unless they were in the professional dance world. This show is for exposure, plain and simple, and seeing as how no one could pick him out of a line up until 2 weeks ago, he needed the exposure. He is an awesomely talented dancer, so why allow his past (especially unconfirmed past) affect his chances. And I am more than sure that there have been competiotions where a contestant has slept with a judge beforehand. Brian has little affect in the competition anyhow, so I don't see how his prior discretions, whether true or not, have anything to do with Blake's outcome on the show. It is up to America, and I am sure they see his talent and not his rap sheet.

Actually, I think Brian (being one of the judges) does have an affect on the competition. He can influence the other judges to keep Blake and his partner safe so the voters can't vote them out, or sway one of them in the finale (if he is one of the final two). Or, on the other hand, if Brian is upset about the breakup, he could influence them away from Blake.

+ Reply to Thread