+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Mia Michaels - Choreographer

Re: Mia Michaels - Choreographer/Judge

Oddly, I didn't like the 2nd even though I love Twitchington. Nigel's comment struck home to me - "I'm not quite sure how to critique that." It was emotive, but not much dancing --- more just acting and flailing. However, my wife loved it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

ITA, all I saw was a bunch of jumping off and on the mattress, and running around and hiding behind the mattress....oh, and let's not forget the tossing of petals. Not too impressed.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I actually preferred the first dance to the second. I felt there was some lack of dancing in the second one, however there was a lot of emotion and passion.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3099260;
    ITA, all I saw was a bunch of jumping off and on the mattress, and running around and hiding behind the mattress....oh, and let's not forget the tossing of petals. Not too impressed.
    It was not by accident that I referred to the two performances as routines as opposed to dances. My mention of the performers was also meant as a qualifier.

I saw what you saw last night. However, with the performances given by Twitch and Kherington I thought the routine was brought to life in such a way as to be quite enjoyable. Nigel was right, it wasn't a dance. But, for me, it was a moment. One I throughly enjoyed.

Having said that, I thought the first routine was a dance. But, again, I'm not sure how much I would have enjoyed it had it not been for Joshua and Katee.

Odd thing art! It truly is in the eye of the beholder.

From a pure dancer prospective, the twitchington routine was not a dance, but rather acting or a performance piece and while the emotionality was good, it was unfair to compare it to the first piece that actually required dancing and emoting, not just thrashing and throwing petals.

The first piece actually gave me chills and the level of difficulty was so much higher than the second piece. I believe that Mia intentionally gave this routine to Twitchington because she knows that those two couldn't pull off the routine she gave to Katee and Joshua. I think it was last year she was called on the carpet (so to speak) for dumbing down a routine for Cedric that basically did the same thing. All emotions, no dancing.

In any case, Joshua and Katee should be safe, but these disparities really are unfair to the different dancers who have no choice but to do the choreography that is given to them.

I'll be interested to see if they try the idea of having them all interpret a single piece of choreography and I hope when they do, it isn't just emoting but actual difficult technique, so we can for once compare apples to apples.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Newbie

Mia is ON FIRE this season!!

Kary

Who is John Galt?

I have mixed feelings about Mia. Some of her routines are absolutely wonderful, others not so much, and still others are downright awful. She seems to be all about E M O T I O N, and portraying that rather than pure dance movement. Not being a particularly sensitive type myself, the emotion of her dance doesn't move me as much as it does others (given some comments about how wonderful a piece was which I found barely tolerable). She must be good though because she won an award for her work, so who am I to judge.

As far as Mia the Judge is concerned - meh. Sometimes her comments are downright rude and nasty and other times, she goes into raptures while I am scratching my head in confusion - say what! I prefer Nigel who calls it like it is and Mary even though her voice is grating at best.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Mia + shock treatments = more of an even personality!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3122217;
    Mia + shock treatments = more of an even personality!
    There you go!!!

Her lambasting of Jessiker was completely unnecessary and overly harsh. Yeah - she's the worst girl left (or 2nd) ... but man - do you have to try to make her feel COMPLETELY worthless? Sheesh.

+ Reply to Thread