+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Mia Michaels - Choreographer

Re: Mia Michaels - Choreographer/Judge

First time posting over here on this show! Just had to throw in my two cents on Mia as a judge as well.

I think she is awesome at choreographing her style. I usually love what she comes up with and she has a very unique and dark emotional style. That said, she just cannot seem to appreciate others emotional perspective. What she wants to put out there simply is not the same as what others do and she completely lacks the ability to understand that her's is not the only "right" way to feel a dance.

As a judge? I think she is horrid. I think it is obvious that she favors male dancers over female ones and favors her style of dance over any other style. I think she put down that dance because she was afraid they would get votes based on sympathy for the daughter, and that she just cannot believe that a dance can be based on joy and celebration.

My 8 year old just read Charolette's Web and had to write an essay on what Wilbur learned from Charolette (the spider). He wrote about what a great friend she was and loyalty and love and on and on... Mia would have wanted him to write about how the death of a good friend makes one more introspective of their own mortality... lol...

I think I started actively disliking Mia as a judge when she showed her nasty bias with how consistently ugly she was towards poor Heidi. Most of her comments were uncalled for and hateful. You are absolutely right in that she cannot or refuses to see others emotional point of view and that she tends to look down her nose at dance styles other than her own.

Although...I must say..that this season she seems to be loving the hip hop dancers and making up words to show how much she loves them.

Premium Member

is it just me but ever since Season 2 when Benji won, Mia has been constantly crabby JMO, and she needs a new do again

Mia is a genius... and I applaud her for being raw and honest in her assessments (even if people don't like it or it may not be what the choreographer intended..like with kher/twitch). If the routine didn't fully translate to her because of Kherrington grinning the entire time then it just didn't translate and mia, as a judge, is charged with truthfully sharing her critique (based on experience and expertise) despite what others may or may not think. Honestly, I thought Kherrington's grin was kind of strange and off too... and the routine did not fully translate to me either (I thought, based on the song and twitch, that it was more of an evolution to happiness (hence, a new day has come)). Regardless, it is not mia's fault (nor mine, for that matter) that she (we) didn't get the message accurately (it is a matter of perception and the dancers' responsibility).
    kudos to mia for not just saying what everyone wants to hear and for being true to herself!

PLEASE OPEN YOUR MINDS petite_indigo's Avatar

For most part I agree with you ! Mia's assements in most cases are spot on. However in this case if the Choreographer asked her to jump up and down like a monkey and scratch two times that's what you do. Now it my not always translate to the audience as to why you are jumping like a monkey, but this is your job as a dancer. You make the choreographer's vision come to life. Long story short, she was respecting the choreographer's wishes she should have not been berated for that.
    squirrel please!!!!:nono

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I had absolutely no problem understanding the message. So, as far as I personally am concerned, the dancer's responsibility was met.

As to Mia's right to interpret and voice her opinion based on that interpretation, Mia has that right! And, I've never seen her shy away from exerting that right. The thing is, in this case, she did more than speak her mind. She berated Kherington for an error she didn't make. Had Mia simply mentioned she didn't think it appropriate to smile through the routine she would have been wrong. However, when she berated Kherington for smiling during the routine, she was wrong AND mean.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Big shock, there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Wow, I rewatched Mia's commentary on Twitchington's Viennese Waltz. :nono She was out of line. Yes, she is a judge, and yes, she's allowed to say what she thinks of the dance, but I think when it comes to personal dances like this - even though it is a competition - you have to maintain a level of tact. Although she tried to phrase it nicely, it still came off rude. Does she think Jean-Marc didn't tell them how to perform the piece? He would've seen them practicing while they were teaching them the choreography. It was meant to make his daughter smile... not get caught up in "the reality" of her situation, but to forget about it. She even need Nigel to say it explicitly: "The story wasn't about his daughter.. it uplifts her."

Good on Twitch for explaining the concept to her after Kherington broke down. Mia, Mia, Mia... I don't think so highly of her anymore.
    2003-2008.

Tickety, we seem to be sharing a brain lately lol.

I completely agree that she was out of line. As I've said before, just because Mia prefers to dance from a dark and depressed place and that seems to be the only way she can show emotion (even her dance to her father seemed more sad than joyful) that doesn't mean that EVERYBODY else needs to dance a routine that way. A joyful dance can be just as powerful and emotional and moving as one that is all dark and depressed.

This was Jean-Marc's story to tell, not Mia's, and she over stepped her role when she tried to tell the choreographer how he should have had the dancers do HIS routine.

As you said, the number was supposed to make his daughter happy, move her above her pain and the reality of her situation, and give her joy. How would a sad number with sad faces do that? I thought it was done perfectly, I thought her smile was hopeful... just as it should have been.

That dang Emmy has turned Mia into a monster.

Well, I wrote this before, I think Mia should have kept her thoughts to herself that day. It was a very emotional story, and what she said was going to break hearts. That was obvious, and she should have known better. Having said this, I should also add that Kherington smiled a little bit too much during the dance. She didn't have to show her 32 teeth. A nice, small smile would have been perfect, but the way she did it was way too exaggerated, and Mia had a point there. And there is no rule that says the judges cannot criticize or comment on the choreography. Sometimes they do not like the choreography and they say so. What Mia did was not out of the ordinary, but unfortunately came at a very delicate moment, and broke a few hearts.

+ Reply to Thread