+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Mia Michaels - Choreographer

FORT Newbie

Re: Mia Michaels - Choreographer/Judge

KK. Since you are here, and I don't want to be burned at the stake for this...but about last week. We were in a rush and only watched the dance sections of the program with a couple of the judges comments after. When we saw Neil and Lacey dancing I was not so moved by the piece and I was very distracted by the flowers - concerned even. I felt Neil more than Lacey, but still the dance and the interpretation did not move me as much.

My husband liked it more, but still, not a rave over the top kind of thing. Then we heard the judges and realized we had missed crucial information. We went back and listened.

It was better with the full introduction, but the flowers on deck, and the emotional interpretation from the two principals was not on the level for me as it clearly was for Nigel and Mary. What did you think???

I am a little sorry Mia's part was not played by a better interpretive dancer who could have conveyed the emotion for me.

Mia does nothing for me at all. I am not into all that heavy emotional stuff that she tries to evoke from her dancers. I just want to watch dancing for the sheer joy of seeing the physical beauty of movement. I prefer ballroom dancing over contemporary, but sometimes contemporary dancing can be wonderful to watch. Mia's choreography, however, leaves me cold.

FORT Newbie

I think Mia is one of the few *artists* who can sublimate the personal feelings to the field of entertainment.
    I can see herself who is struggling with something through her dances...
    I really admire her.
    I still can't believe she is under 30, though. Is it true?

But when comes to judge, she seems to elaborate her words too much.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Mia actually makes me feel what she is trying to convey. Her struggle is my enjoyment, because I can actually feel her pain or joy or whatever is. She may, on occasion, annoy me as a judge, but as a choreographer, she is wonderful.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonfish;2525339;
    I think Mia is one of the few *artists* who can sublimate the personal feelings to the field of entertainment.
    I can see herself who is struggling with something through her dances...
    I really admire her.
    I still can't believe she is under 30, though. Is it true?

But when comes to judge, she seems to elaborate her words too much.

I have a friend who danced with Mia about 15 years ago and it was her dance troupe. So she's not under 30. However I love her stuff.

Congratulations to Mia. Both Mia and Wade were awarded an Emmy tonight for their choreography!

edited to add : Congratulations to Wade as well... couldn't find a thread for him.
    Last edited by skyhigh79; 09-09-2007 at 01:16 AM.
    Tahoe bound....

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2563842;
    Congratulations to Mia. Both Mia and Wade were awarded an Emmy tonight for their choreography!

edited to add : Congratulations to Wade as well... couldn't find a thread for him.
    Yay to both of them!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Season 4 'updated' bio for Mia Michaels:
    Mia Michaels' choreography for Céline Dion's "A New Day..." under the direction of Franco Dragone at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas received stunning reviews. The show featured a cast of 50 dancers with two hours of pure dance artistry. Currently her work can be seen on Céline Dion's world tour, "Taking Chances" and Cirque du Soleil's first touring show, "Delirium," which premiered March 2006. She has also created works for numerous recording artists including Madonna, Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan, Anna Vissi and Prince.

For her work on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, Michaels recently won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Choreography for her dance piece "Calling You." Other work in film and television includes "Cool Women" for AMC/DreamWorks Television and award-winning commercials for Mike's Hard Lemonade, Bacardi, Coldwell Banker, Ziploc, the WNBA, Star TV and VISA.

Included in her diverse concert and stage work is the critically acclaimed New York based dance company, RAW, of which she is the founder, artistic director and choreographer. She has created works for the Paper Mill Playhouse's production of "Hello, Dolly!," Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal, Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago and Oslo Dance Ensemble. Her choreography has been seen off-Broadway with "If These Shoes Could Talk" and "Fort Chaffee." Michaels has also held faculty positions at prestigious institutions of dance around the world including the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, the Joffrey Ballet and the International Dance Festival of Italy.

Michaels is constantly striving for new inspirations for her work. Her students and peers around the world have noted her as a memorable influence. She has a way of touching people's lives with passion, emotional expression and style of dance.

Born and raised in Coconut Grove, FL, Michaels currently lives in New York City but continues to teach master classes around the world.
    FOX Broadcasting Company
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I cannot stand 99.5% of her routines, they are usually so uh....how to word it......they feel as if she is subjecting her viewers to her therapy sessions and it makes me very uncomfortable having to sit through all that. That being said, the few times that she is on? She is REALLY on. Some of my favorite routines have been hers (which is so odd because some of my least favorite have been hers too).

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2995865;
    I cannot stand 99.5% of her routines, they are usually so uh....how to word it......they feel as if she is subjecting her viewers to her therapy sessions and it makes me very uncomfortable having to sit through all that. That being said, the few times that she is on? She is REALLY on. Some of my favorite routines have been hers (which is so odd because some of my least favorite have been hers too).
    I'm in complete agreement with everything you said, Harmony.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread