+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mia Michaels - Choreographer

Re: Mia Michaels - Choreographer/Judge

Yayyy Mia! She's truly talented. She had so many great pieces last year for the contestants. The performance from Heidi and Travis dancing to a Celine Dion song (Calling You) with the sunflower and the bench was amazing! And then there was the very athelic, aggressive piece for Ryan and Allison. I can't wait to see some more of her choreography this season.
    2003-2008.

Here is why I like Mia. She's straight up--right to the issue--brilliant, focused, and professional. She is a woman with power, and in exactly the right profession for her skills. I think the part about her that freaks people out is that they FEEL her power. When women are in our world with power, and use it in a direct way in their profession, they're called "witches". For a man with that same power (like Shane), he's called "The Man". I think Mia is EVE (i.e. "The Woman"). ; ) I sure am happy that Soyouthinkyoucandance is back!

FORT Fogey

She may be a brilliant choreographer but I can't stand her as a judge. She's basically tactless and acts like she is on some sort of a power trip. I don't think having tact has anything to do with having power since some of the most powerful people on earth are the most tactful (Putin for one). Mia somehow manages to phrase things so that they come out as hurtfully as possible when she isn't totally pleased.

I'm glad to see she is back. I like her a lot. I hadn't noticed her being especially hurtful to the contestants. I will pay closer attention this season...

She certainly has the credentials!

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727;2431491;
    She may be a brilliant choreographer but I can't stand her as a judge. She's basically tactless and acts like she is on some sort of a power trip. I don't think having tact has anything to do with having power since some of the most powerful people on earth are the most tactful (Putin for one). Mia somehow manages to phrase things so that they come out as hurtfully as possible when she isn't totally pleased.
    Just like Simon Cowell -- and everyone still loves him. Somehow, I guess blunt criticism is more palatable coming from a man . . . ?

I like her better than I like Simon. But I don't like the way she comes off sometimes. If she doesn't like you she just doesn't even TRY to be nice or polite. Nigel and Simon, even if they don't like you, have at least some lip service to being polite (I guess it's the british in them) even if it's insincere. Mia just trashes you and is done with it.

It's when her passion shows and she does like someone (even someone who she doesn't necessarily think has talent) that I like her. But when she's just mean and rude to some people? That's not good personality or good TV to me.

She crosses the unforgivable line of pretentiousness for me. I know her pedigree, and I don't deny she has some talent, and I even do enjoy modern dance (I guess we call it "lyrical" nowadays?) - like some of Twyla Tharp's stuff. But something about Mia just tries too hard. I don't like her.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

I really don't like how Nigel is perpetuating the idea that there's something really deep to "get" in contemporary dance (especially the routines choreographed by Mia and Wade this season).

He keeps saying things like "I didn't get it, but I was really touched," or "I don't understand it, but I like it."

Well, then, if you were moved, you "got" it.

It's just like any other form of dance- it's about energy, grace, emotion, creativity, and beauty channeled through bodies in motion. I'm sure he would never say he didn't "get" a hip-hop or mambo routine, but the bodily movements in those dances are just as arbitrary as in the average contemporary routine. What else is there to "get" in a good contemporary dance besides inspiration?

When someone just means they don't "get" what the appeal factor is of a certain dance- that's fine- that's just personal preference, based on prior experience and taste. But it's not like there's some cognitive reasoning factor that a Mia routine has that doesn't exist in a Shane piece.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Newbie

I think she is quite good. I think her comments about Danny at the beginning of the season had to be from something we did not get to see on tape. That's one of the crazy things about this show, so much happens we don't get to see,

I like her choreography. I think she should spend a little time with her dancers on facial expression and depth of expression. She probably does. So that's probably unfair.

I liked this weeks piece a lot. I liked the ground it covered, I liked the energy, I liked the wild playfulness of the piece versus the sexuality so often present in other dances. It was about a different kind of relationship and that was cool.

Aliens? Not so much. We watch most of the dances through the first time with none of the commentary or lead in, then we go back and watch them with the comment and lead in. It makes a huge difference.

I know, I had to laugh a little....what exactly about that routine made it alien? It was fine, nothing revelatory but standard Mia stuff.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread