+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Mia Michaels - Choreographer

Re: Mia Michaels - Choreographer

Interesting read, and right on point. Controversy drives ratings up and that's what drives the revenue stream. Watching Mia as a judge is kind of like watching a huge wreck on the interstate. You know it's awful but you can't look away.

FORT Fogey

I posted a transcript of Mia's comments to AdéChiké over in the show thread. I have to say, I didn't hear any personal attacks. All her comments were about the routines, his technique and performance (or lack of it). She didn't like him in either routine, and said so directly. But that's her job. Personally, I don't want Mia to hold back anything or edit what she says to make it "nicer". She is one of the top choreographers in her field, and I want to hear everything she has to say: good, bad, or in between. These kids are professional dancers (or aspire to be); they can take it.

Believe me, Mia is Mother Theresa compared to some of the other top choreographers out there. There is no better career for a sadist than choreographer because they are in a unique position to daily inflict physical and emotional pain. Some of the best choreographers have been unbelievably cruel.

Mia, however, deeply cares about her dancers. But she won't sugar-coat her opinions, even it causes pain. Not because she enjoys inflicting pain, but because she knows the pain will be short-term, but on the other side of the pain is the potential for art and beauty and truth.

I understand that this can be hard to watch. But this is how art is made. Surgery can be hard to watch as well, but the long term benefit makes the temporary blood and pain worthwhile. Dancers understand this. But it is undeniably shocking to television viewers.

FORT Fan

On a "You Tube" video after the show, Adam was talking about what a good job Mia is doing and I was laughing my head off because his eyes were shifting a lot. I was wishing I still had that book that tells you how to read facial expressions so I could look up what his eyes were telling me because he looked up and to the right a lot as well as up and to the left and at certain point down and to the right. I mean he was all over the place. The people on the TV show “Lie to Me.” would have a field day with this guy. Mostly, if I remember correctly, the looking up and to the right means he’s trying to think of something to say.

Notice too how he shakes his head “no” ever so slightly in the beginning when saying “I find her to be very fair”. And again when he says, “I think she’s doing a great job”. It’s very subtle, but it’s there. Part of a course I took a while back explained what all that meant but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Adam’s defense of her was not as rock solid as he would like us to believe. But then what do I know?

YouTube - MIA MICHAELS - THE IRON MAN OF JUDGES

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3973116;
    All her comments were about the routines, his technique and performance (or lack of it). She didn't like him in either routine, and said so directly. But that's her job. Personally, I don't want Mia to hold back anything or edit what she says to make it "nicer". She is one of the top choreographers in her field, and I want to hear everything she has to say: good, bad, or in between. These kids are professional dancers (or aspire to be); they can take it.
    I see it differently. To me, if you look at transcript alone, Mia's comments are not all about the rountine, his technique, his performance or intended to help the dancer improve. Her words are not constructive and her delivery was very difficult to watch, especially this part:

"I really miss Alex right now because I can only imagine what that would be like – no disrespect to Marla because she was beautiful. But, my god, I miss Alex. Hard."

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Hmm.. that did not hit me the same way. I see "I really miss Alex right now" as a reference to Marla dancing the number, not AdéChiké. She specifically says that she does not mean any offence to Marla in wishing that Alex were there instead of her. This is the same point that Nigel made: that the routine we saw was just a shadow of what must have been an incredible number with Alex and AdéChiké together.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-10-2010 at 08:32 PM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3973627;
    "I really miss Alex right now" is a reference to Marla dancing the number, not AdéChiké. She specifically says that she does not mean any offence to Marla in wishing that Alex were there instead of her. This is the same point that Nigel made.
    I stand corrected. Thanks She still irks me tho'.

Nancy

In delivery, it sure seemed directed at AdeChike - as though he was so terrible she really needed Alex to save the routine.... but I understand now the way you read it.

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;3973663;
    I stand corrected. Thanks She still irks me tho'.

Nancy
    I saw it the way you did. Mostly because Alex didn't dance so the critique should never have involved him except for maybe..I would have liked to have seen the two of you dance that together....

Also, I agree with the video. Adam was trying very hard not to offend his employers...lol
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Let me play devil's advocate for a wee moment.
    Perhaps MIA meant both things: That the routine with AdéChiké & Alex was a sight to behold indeed, according to rehearsal watchers AND that Alex (by inescapable comparison) would have been shown to nail the hardness of movement that is demanded of a Bollywood routine...
    Just maybe... We were not in her head, after all!
    The unfortunate part is that regardless of the true intent of her comments, it sounded like favouritism...
    Last edited by ChickenGuyWing; 07-11-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Ted: Dougal, you can't sit around here watching television all day - chewing gum for the eyes!
    Dougal: Oh no thanks Ted, I've got these crisps, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella;3973065;
    Interesting read, and right on point. Controversy drives ratings up and that's what drives the revenue stream. Watching Mia as a judge is kind of like watching a huge wreck on the interstate. You know it's awful but you can't look away.
    If anything makes me stop watching this show it will be nastiness like Mia is spewing, so I don't see how that will make the ratings go up. But, then, I guess I'm in the minority based on the garbage in general I see on TV these days.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

+ Reply to Thread