+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

Re: 8/29 Show Discusson Thread *Spoilers*

Nigel reminded everyone that this is a popularity contest, not a best dancer contest. With the vote going to the public, with no Judge saves this next week, I think we better get used to watching Cyrus go to the final four and maybe to the end.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I can not believe Will is gone! I don't get the Cyrus love either. Will was much, much, much better technically. His personality shone brighter. What is going on? This is SYTYCD, not whomever has the best sob story should win. If Cyrus wins the guy's spot, this season will have been a complete waste. Is Cyrus great at what he does? Definitely. Does he have two left feet otherwise - yup. UGH!

The girls - at least this side is going better lol. The remaining three are the right ones to still be dancing IMO.
    Florimel, Critical and sparklete like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I can not believe Will is gone! I don't get the Cyrus love either. Will was much, much, much better technically. His personality shone brighter. What is going on? This is SYTYCD, not whomever has the best sob story should win. If Cyrus wins the guy's spot, this season will have been a complete waste. Is Cyrus great at what he does? Definitely. Does he have two left feet otherwise - yup. UGH!
    Totally agree. It was so obvious that the Mandy Moore dumbed down the choreography for Cyrus last week. It's just embarrassing how the judges talk him up and never mention his dancing ability. It's all about his personality and how he's improved. He's still nowhere NEAR any of the other guys who made top 20.

I know people like seeing dancers who are not contemporary dancers win this show. I can't understand that, since contemporary dancers tend to have superior technique and are versatile, but whatever. We have had hip hop/street dancers do well in this competition. The thing is, Cyrus is not and never will be Twitch. Twitch is good at other genres and has good technique. Does he have ballet technique? No, but he makes what he has work for the genre. Russell won on personality, IMO, but he was good at other genres as well because he'd been trained.

I just hate this trend of people voting only on personality or because someone got blasted by the judges OR because they want to vote for the worst. If Cyrus wins, it will be an embarrassment.
    Florimel, mesachick and sparklete like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think once the judges have no say, Cyrus will be gone.
    I think that Cole has come so much further, but I am not sure he will be the last guy standing
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I think once the judges have no say, Cyrus will be gone.
    I think that Cole has come so much further, but I am not sure he will be the last guy standing
    It's because the judges don't have a say that he's still there. It's the voters that are keeping him on the show, not the judges. If the voters had put him in the bottom 2, he'd be gone, because the judges would have sent him home.
    Florimel and mesachick like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's because the judges don't have a say that he's still there. It's the voters that are keeping him on the show, not the judges. If the voters had put him in the bottom 2, he'd be gone, because the judges would have sent him home.
    I think the judges are. I guess we will see.They keep saying they are getting feedback from the choreographers. Its reality TV, and I dont buy everything I see.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I think the judges are. I guess we will see.They keep saying they are getting feedback from the choreographers. Its reality TV, and I dont buy everything I see.
    Yeah, but he has to make it into the bottom for the judges to send him packing and the voters have kept him out of harms way so far. He hasn't been in the bottom one single time.
    Critical and Photobabe like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Yeah, but he has to make it into the bottom for the judges to send him packing and the voters have kept him out of harms way so far. He hasn't been in the bottom one single time.
    I just happen to think its rigged, just like some posters have said DWTS is rigged. Not many dance forums I go belong to think Cyrus is that good, and they dont know who are voting for him.
    Florimel likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Well, no one could figure out who was voting for Bristol Palin either because no one in the forums was voting for her. There are tons of people who vote who aren't online talking about it

If there's any "rigging" going on with respect to Cyrus, I think it's to cover their butts and not make them look foolish for picking him for top 20. Hence, the dumbed down choreography and praising his personality and growth. It's sort of like Paula praising someone on Idol by telling them how great they look on stage or how their personality really shines through. I think that if Cyrus had EVER been in the bottom 2, he'd be gone. I think the judges also know that, if they really slam him, that will only get him more votes because people will feel sorry for him.

If Cyrus actually wins this season, maybe that will show the judges that they need to NOT put through inferior dancers to the top 20 in the name of variety. We've had plenty of hip hop/street dancers who were miles better than Cyrus. They didn't have to settle for him just because they liked his personality. I'm sure they thought he'd be eliminated within the first few weeks.

All it's doing is making this show, like most of the other competitive shows, lose more and more credibility each season.
    Critical and Fanny Mare like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast