+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 7/27 Show Discussion Thread ***Spoilers***

Re: 7/27 Show Discussion Thread ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    As for the partner dances, I loved Caitlyn/Tadd and Marko/Rikki. I've seen the movie that the song "White tie" comes from, and C/T really did Fred & Ginger proud. It was very classy and elegant. I must say, though, that it felt weird hearing Ella Fitzgerald singing a song written for a man.
    Oops! In my post above instead of Caitlyn & Tadd I accidentally listed Caitlyn & Ricky and completely left out Tadd in the final partner dances. I still had forgotten about this Ella Fitzgerald dance so I can't call it memorable, but I did think they did a very nice job with it!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    Loved Melanie. Really like Jess, too, he is growing on me. When he's on, he's on--like the hip-hop routine. I wish I could see the rumba routine danced by two other dancers, though--I thought the choreo was exquisite.

I am on Gaga overload. She's been everywhere these past 6+ months. Even a favorite perfume can start to stink when applied too liberally. Take a rest, Ms. Gaga.

The problem with Gaga as judge is that Gaga is always about Gaga. The self-promotion and "look-at-me" behavior which is her thing as an "artist" is really irksome when she is supposed to be acting in the capacity of a judge. Some of her antics last night that were really annoying included the sunglasses indoors (and worn with her hair trapped behind one lens), taking her shiny red leather hat on and off, and wearing those goofy 3-feet tall red leather ladder shoes so that when she stood for standing ovations that she appeared to be a 9 feet tall fashion disaster. LOOK AT ME was the message of all of those wardrobe choices.

I also did NOT enjoy the self-referential compliments... she said to one dancer they were "right on the edge" (a reference to a current song) and at the end of the night said almost non-sensically to Sasha and Melanie that they were "born that way" as some sort of compliment to their dancing. I found it to again be terribly self-serving to Gaga. I realize guest judges usually have something to promote--but my favorite judges are the ones who are there because they LOVE the show and the dancers and at least appear to care less if their show/product is promoted while they are judging.

Finally, the shoe-throwing was probably pre-planned (they get to see rehearsals, they plan the order of the dances so that the night ends on a sure fire bang, etc) -- but I almost could forgive Gaga because that part was still a lot of fun. However, I am Gaga'd out.
    I agree with most of what you say here. I did warm to her after a bit. I thought her comment that Anya looked like 'Dancing With the Stars' but Ricky was very current and modern, was hysterical. She basically dissed that show and ballroom without realizing it. She liked that he stood tall and didnt get down as Nigel criticized.

I think her shoe tossing was a surprized to all. I have a hunch she knew she was going to do but did not tip her hand in rehearsal.

I also think she got her shoes back. It wasn't about their cost; I think her costumes are being saved and will be donated to a museum at some point. There is probably a contract and lawyers involved. More people saw her on this show than any other venue so that would make this one particularly valuable in that sense.

I have been enjoying non dance professionals in the third seat this season. I wouldnt want that all the time but their choices have been good. Ga Ga was a fourth and that makes more sense that having her sit in the 3rd slot. Of course Nigel insisted she sit next to him. That seemed ego driven and odd.

I really like Melanie but I feel like she has gotten the best routines throughout the competition and others, especially Ricky, have not been given an out of this world contemporary dance with a great partner that would allow them to shine as well. Just think, Melanie and Marko got Travis's incredible statue routine (which kicked off the season) and she has benefited from Sonyah's routines since then (including the 2 best routines last night--and ironically, contemporary and jazz in the same night-favortism anyone?). It seems like other dancers get ho-hum routines with the other choreographers and often have a lot of ballroom dances. I think Ricky is the most overlooked contestant this season--he easily has the best technique and can soar higher than anyone--yet have we seen him in an incredible contemporary piece w/ a partner (like Allison) by one of the premiere choreographers--nope!
    Speaking of Allison--in comparison to her all of these dancers can pack a bag and go home--she is INCREDIBLE. Not only is she a superb technician but she brings the perfect, geniune, heart-wrenching/uplifting/or whatever emotion to every dance EVERY time. She is so authentic and talented--Im kinda surprised she isnt working on other huge projects or been cast in another show.

Poor Jess--he is a great performer and his solo last night was full of intricate footwork, complexity, showmanship, overall difficulty, and precision--yet he loses bc another guy did some leg curls while bopping around on his hands (stuff we see from these guys EVERY season)...I kind of thought that the mid-show performance from the incredible guest dancers would show that Tadd isn't all that special (and really, weve had better contestants in his genre in the past) and make his performance seem sub-par (I mean, those guest dancers were RIDICULOUS--they soared and impressed--while doing something a guy on P90x can do (ie holding themselves up on a bar while swinging legs) doesnt really make me excited) but I guess the judges just didn't care. And don't get me wrong, I get an arrogant vibe from Jess and he is not my favorite (and I like Tadd!), but if they are really basing their decisions on these 'dance for your lives' segments then they need to judge by the difficulty level/performance/overall DANCE--not gymnastics!

FORT Fogey

Mary's comment on performance night to Jess was a foreshadowing of his departure the next day. Who knows what they see when the cameras aren't rolling. His behavior after his solo also did him no favors. So much about this show, like it or not, is likeability. The dancers are all talented, no doubt, so personality gets thrown into the mix to determine a favorite. I think last night's guy decision was just that: they liked Tadd.

Luckily the dance world doesn't give a fig about personality, only talent, and Jess has got it in spades. I expect to see him lighting up the broadway stage for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post

Poor Jess--he is a great performer and his solo last night was full of intricate footwork, complexity, showmanship, overall difficulty, and precision--yet he loses bc another guy did some leg curls while bopping around on his hands (stuff we see from these guys EVERY season)...I kind of thought that the mid-show performance from the incredible guest dancers would show that Tadd isn't all that special (and really, weve had better contestants in his genre in the past) and make his performance seem sub-par (I mean, those guest dancers were RIDICULOUS--they soared and impressed--while doing something a guy on P90x can do (ie holding themselves up on a bar while swinging legs) doesnt really make me excited) but I guess the judges just didn't care. And don't get me wrong, I get an arrogant vibe from Jess and he is not my favorite (and I like Tadd!), but if they are really basing their decisions on these 'dance for your lives' segments then they need to judge by the difficulty level/performance/overall DANCE--not gymnastics!

That's what I was thinking while I watched Tadd dance his solo--isn't this what we see every b-boy do? Don't get me wrong. I like Tadd, too, but I just thought that Jess' solo was far superior. I think that with his training and drive for success that Jess will go further. What some people see as arrogance, is sometimes just strong drive to succeed.

Annika said:

I am on Gaga overload. She's been everywhere these past 6+ months. Even a favorite perfume can start to stink when applied too liberally. Take a rest, Ms. Gaga.
    Totally agree. It was bad enough that I had to sit through an entire episode of American Idol with her a a mentor. She was painted up like a skunk then, and honestly, if I had been one of the singers I would have been too busy laughing to hear what she said. Or trying to figure out why a grown woman feels that she needs to act and dress outrageously to get attention.

The problem with Gaga as judge is that Gaga is always about Gaga. The self-promotion and "look-at-me" behavior which is her thing as an "artist" is really irksome when she is supposed to be acting in the capacity of a judge. Some of her antics last night that were really annoying included the sunglasses indoors (and worn with her hair trapped behind one lens), taking her shiny red leather hat on and off, and wearing those goofy 3-feet tall red leather ladder shoes so that when she stood for standing ovations that she appeared to be a 9 feet tall fashion disaster. LOOK AT ME was the message of all of those wardrobe choices.

I also did NOT enjoy the self-referential compliments... she said to one dancer they were "right on the edge" (a reference to a current song) and at the end of the night said almost non-sensically to Sasha and Melanie that they were "born that way" as some sort of compliment to their dancing. I found it to again be terribly self-serving to Gaga. I realize guest judges usually have something to promote--but my favorite judges are the ones who are there because they LOVE the show and the dancers and at least appear to care less if their show/product is promoted while they are judging.

Finally, the shoe-throwing was probably pre-planned (they get to see rehearsals, they plan the order of the dances so that the night ends on a sure fire bang, etc) -- but I almost could forgive Gaga because that part was still a lot of fun. However, I am Gaga'd out.
    Sums it up for me.

Shoepie said:

I thought her comment that Anya looked like 'Dancing With the Stars' but Ricky was very current and modern, was hysterical. She basically dissed that show and ballroom without realizing it.
    She might have realized very well what she was saying. She strikes me as the sort of person who would look down on ballroom, since it's completely opposite to her style.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567