+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6/30 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 6/30 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

I have to say so far out of all three weeks, Alex has done the best IMHO. I know a lot of people questioned his Broadway Fosse last week, but to me it was a bit reminiscent of dances in the "Pippin" video done back in the 1980s - including the leaps. There was one song - "The Right Track" - where Ben Vereen and William Katt did a split leap jump - and a few other more balletic dances. Vereen also had some similar steps in a few other songs in that musical.

Doesn't mean that it was the best by any means, but the whole "It's not Fosse" vibe I had read somewhere else wasn't quite accurate.

As far as this week - absolutely stunning, and he did take the critique to heart from last week IMHO.

The other dances didn't really super wow me, though I did like Ade's of this season's hip hop and I think Ashley's contemporary.

Melinda probably will leave this week - her taping did not feel like it fit the music (last week's was better) and the salsa was arguably the weakest.

I also agree with the assessment of Robert, but Billy is the other one I'd like to see in the bottom three. He's got this "entitlement" feel to me but he's not backing it up. While I do feel Alex at times may have that vibe, he can at least back it up with his dancing.

Kent is Kent - even if he doesn't win I think he could do well in Dancing or even acting. He's got a great simple charm about him that makes him work.

Lauren's was OK to me, but I bet she'll make sure her outfit is where it can't "malfunction" as easy. That possibly affected the dance depending on when it occurred.

Lauren's strap snapped when she was "thrown" across the ground with Neil holding onto her left arm. Apparently the force of her arm being jerked up caused the material to not hold together. My daughters and I rewound the DVR to make sure of when it happened and why it happened. Lauren pulled through and kept going though......gotta love that double-sided sticky tape!!

Billy is just not living up to all of the hype that the judges keep claiming. IMO he was the worst of the guys last night and just once I would love for the judges to call him out on his lack of connecting with his partner. The judges talk about Kent not acting "like a man" but yet it is more of a stretch for me to see Billy act "like a man". Just not believable.

Alex!!! WOW!! Rewound that one to watch again too. That was amazing and was easily the best of the night hands down. Hopefull Billy has been replaced in the judges mind.

I agree that Melinda needs to go home. That was painful to watch and was very uncomfortable. It's like watching a baby giraffe trying to walk and just not being graceful about it.

I would love to see a bottom 2 of Billy and Melinda tonight but am doubtful that will happen. Billy will continue to stay safe even though he isn't as great as what we were promised.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3957792;
    Kent & Allison - Jazz - Mandy Moore

Kent is going to try to be more of a man. And the dancing is outstanding - really powerful jazz. But he still looks like an 18 year old kid.
    The costume did him no favors, either, with the high cummerbund making him look even shorter than he already is and the baggy pants hiding some of his lines. It made him look a bit like he was dressed in Dad's suit, which was totally not the image they really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3958747;
    I would love to see a bottom 2 of Billy and Melinda tonight but am doubtful that will happen. Billy will continue to stay safe even though he isn't as great as what we were promised.
    Well to defend the judges a wee bit, he was great in comparison to the group he would have been in and how often have they called him THEBESTEVAH! lately? I think first Kent replaced him and now Alex has and even Robert to some extent. I definitely get the feeling that the judges and choreographers aren't as enthused about him anymore as they were before.

Or maybe I zoned out and missed any over the top praising going on lately? Just in my memory it seems that others have been getting that.

I just remembered something, did anybody else get the feeling that they were going waaaaaaaaay overboard with their praise of Ashley last night in an attempt to make sure at least one female survives and isn't in the B3 tonight? At first I was nodding "Uh...huh...right...she was good." and then I started thinking "Uh, wait a second. She wasn't that good and she's hardly the best ever blah blah."

It just started to feel like desperate over praising in an attempt to hang onto one female. They really have nobody to blame but themselves for the current state of affairs. 1: They didn't pick really strong females. 2: They picked one extra male.

I didn't see Lauren's strap break on the first viewing and was pretty confused in regards to the judges comments, on second viewing it happened very close to the end and you can see her running her hand up her chest as she's leaning way back to make sure she stays in place. I thought she handled the whole situation perfectly and since it happened near the end of the dance, can't really blame the lack luster rest of the dance on the strap.

And when did Lauren (all-star) and Courtney become so gorgeous? I'm stunned every time they are on the screen, my what a couple years of maturity has done to those two.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I also think that another reason Melinda looks so bad during her dances is that she is dancing with Pasha (2 out of 3 dances I think). He is not the tallest of the guys and I think their dances look awkward as she seems a hair taller than him with the heels, I also think most eyes on on Pasha and not Melinda, so that's another strike against her.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3958757;
    Well to defend the judges a wee bit, he was great in comparison to the group he would have been in and how often have they called him THEBESTEVAH! lately? I think first Kent replaced him and now Alex has and even Robert to some extent. I definitely get the feeling that the judges and choreographers aren't as enthused about him anymore as they were before.

Or maybe I zoned out and missed any over the top praising going on lately? Just in my memory it seems that others have been getting that.
    Last night the judges once again proclaimed Billy to be one of the best. That irritates me when he isn't one of the best this season. His partner work is clearly lacking and the judges even called him on that during "hell week". It really made me wonder why they made an exception for him if he struggled all during that week and then, finally, gave a WOW solo. I would dearly love for them to finally call him out as they have done to Kent several times now. Billy is more of a "boy" dancer than Kent is IMO. Billy lacks so much and then for his attitude it makes me wish that he would be voted out ASAP. Heck, I would have loved for him to have been the very first boot of this season but of course the judges can't have that!

FORT Fan

Adechike was much more relaxed this week which may have saved him a trip home. He's like a different person. I'm liking him a lot now. In fact, if Alex doesn't win, Adechike might.

Ashley's routine with Ade is puzzling to me. She had no steps to do while Ade
    threw her around like a rag doll. The judges liked it but in a competition like
    this, I prefer to see more real dance steps. Her solo was awesome tho'.

Robert & Courtney's routine was boring to me so I don't really have anything to say about it. Sonya is not my favorite choreographer. His solo was a bit stiff too.

OMG, both Mia and Adam said they felt like they made a mistake letting
    Cristina go home instead of Melinda after seeing tonight's performance.
    I have to give credit to Mia and Adam for admitting their mistake but you'd
    think they would have respected Nigel's opinion more than they did when fighting him about keeping Melinda. She's not even a good tap dancer IMO. I hope she goes home tonight.

I wonder if Cristina was watching and heard their comments. Can you imagine how she'd feel hearing that?

I liked Lauren's routine with Neil. I didn't even notice her dress break. I
    liked her solo also.

I liked Billy's performance with Kathryn better than his solo which didn't show
    me much. Solos need to be longer IMO.

I enjoyed Jose's routine with Anya a lot. His enthusiasm when learning a new
    dance style he knows nothing about is enjoyable to watch and he's always
    smiling. It's that kind of upbeat personality that won Russell Ferguson the
    competition last year over Jacob who many thought should have won for his
    superior dancing. Jose's solo was as expected for a b boy.

Kent and Allison's routine was really good but his baby face makes it hard to
    believe him in a romantic role. He did a great solo.

Watching Alex do hip hop with tWitch was crazy, but in a good way. Nobody
    seeing him for the first time would have thought he was a ballet dancer. I
    loved Adam's remark that "This is your world and I'm just glad to be in it" or words to that effect.

I didn't care for Adam at first but he's funny and he's growing on me. I'm still not crazy about Mia, but she's been less of a bioch this season. However, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;3958870;
    I'm still not crazy about Mia, but she's been less of a bioch this season. However, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Nancy
    Hey Nancy,
    for me the other shoe has dropped already. For her to actually come out and state the obvious, about sending the wrong person home was over the top. How does that fit within the parameters of constructive criticism? It's pure nastiness to me,and that Adam, who is my favourite judge, would agree was, well, disappointing. I recognize that they were admitting to Nigel they were wrong, but surely another moment would have been more appropriate rather than to Melinda's face. A little more professionalism would go a long way. Melinda handled herself most gracefully.
    Ted: Dougal, you can't sit around here watching television all day - chewing gum for the eyes!
    Dougal: Oh no thanks Ted, I've got these crisps, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3958757;
    And when did Lauren (all-star) and Courtney become so gorgeous? I'm stunned every time they are on the screen, my what a couple years of maturity has done to those two.
    Um ... always. count me among the early adopters on both of them (Ditto Kathryn last year and Lauren this year)

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

The "female as dream/seductress/hot/turnon" is being used over and over and over again this season.

Which isn't in itself a problem for me.

However...

EVERY TIME you put 18 year old FARM BOY Kent with a female partner in a role like that, he is going to look like an 18 year old FARM BOY with "Jazz Face" or whatever it is they called it last night.

Put him on an even par with a GIRL in a less threatening/strong role, and he JUST might be able to LEAD a little bit more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast