+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: 11/10 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 11/10 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Well, all I can say about the choreographers I am aware of, Sean Cheeseman is just fierce, and he did a pretty good afro jazz last evening, but this one, I preferred...and probably Russell could nail it as well and Daniel here,

YouTube - First Routine Together - Jayme Rae/Daniel

Gustavo Vargas, can be hit or miss, but when he's good: like holy hannah wow on Salsa... I already posted the one with this season, but season one... Nico and Arrassay did this dance as the very first dance of the top 20... blew me away

YouTube - Arassay & Nico Salsa (Top 20) CA

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3748135;
    But I also think that the choreographers are trying TOO hard to get an emmy.
    I agree. Last night the dance with Channing and her partner leaps to mind. It was a watered down "let's touch the judges emotions" effort.

These dancers are at the mercy of the choregrapher they draw. The salsa was terrible and it wasn't the dancers fault. They had nothing to work with and poor instruction.

to them for keeping Lil C out of the judges chair! The addition of Adam as a permanent judge is brilliant. I love the guy.

I like props if they are stationary but I find it distracting if the dancers have to carry them around. I find myself waiting for them to drop.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3748096;
    Can anyone explain to me what makes a "hustle" any different than any random mix of typical disco moves?
    Hmm.. good question! There is a difference, but I only know from looking at them. The Hustle (and we're talking about the ballroom dance, not the line dance here which is totally different) is kind of a combination of jive, salsa and disco. It got a big boost from the movie Saturday Night Fever. It has less outlandish tricks and lifts than pure disco, and looks more like a 70's jive.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3748096;
    I don't agree with the dissing of Ashleigh here. I thought she did great, and I liked the cane number very much. This is, by the way, the 2nd 80's tune Mandy Moore used for a prop number - the table dance was done to the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams"...

Loved the broadway routine, but particularly from Legacy, and agreed with the judges all the way. Legacy is now, hands down, my favorite. Russel a close 2nd.
    Legacy has really gone from "zero to hero" in just the last couple of weeks. Not only had he done well in his dances, but he is showing a real star quality, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3747831;
    Is it just me or is the choreography just not as good as it use to be? Is it the dancers? All the new choreographers? I don't know...but I've felt this since last season. Even the better routines don't live up to some from Season 3 & 4. I miss it.
    I guess every season it takes a while to get into it. And as we have discussed before, we can never recapture the "good old days" when everything was new.

I will say that for me, I'm having a blast with this season. Here are the numbers that have made me stand up and cheer:
    • Wade's "Cotton Club" opening number for the Top 20 Introduction show. In addition to just being a satisfying overall production number, he did a great job of introducing the different groups of dancers in a very short space.
    • Ryan and Ellenore Arcadia (Fallen Angels) by Sonya - I knew Elenore could pull something like that off, but to see Ryan do jazz and portray this character/animal was such a surprise.
    • Nathan and Mollee's disco Turn the Beat Around by Doriana Sanchez. Hot, fast and fun. As good as any of Doriana's past routines - but this one was pulled off by teenagers. Also props for their Bollywood the following week - especially Nathan's work with the sword.
    • Legacy and Kathryn - Contemporary 2 Steps Away (Fear) by Stacey Tookey - This was the first dance this season that really grabbed me emotionally. Some amazing moves, like when Legacy wrapped himself around Kathryn's back. Overall a complicated emotional story and they both pulled it off. This dance has got to go on the tour.
    • Ryan and Elenore - Argentine Tango Vilointango by Miriam Larici & Leonardo Barrionuevo - will anything this season be as dramatic as them doing this incredible tango - up there with the best done on the show - all while Elenore's dress is snagged in her heel. You watch it and can't believe that they are still going, and then you forget about the dress because the dance is so good. Another number that should go on the tour.
    • Russell and Noelle Afro Jazz Frog Dance by Sean Cheesman - I love to see something so different, and yet so accessible.

As for great dancers, I would put Jakob, Russell, Ryan, and Karen up with the best of any season. Nathan, Legacy, and Elenore are close behind.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 11-11-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I am, thusfar, overall warming up to the dancers and the choreography.

I'm a bit more hopeful for this season than I was for last season, though I will be wondering the ENTIRE season how different things might have been if we had been able to vote on the first 2 eliminations.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3748211;
    I guess every season it takes a while to get into it. And as we have discussed before, we can never recapture the "good old days" when everything was new.
    But see....not for me. Usually I am right into it loving the dancers, the choreographers...everything. This season is just WAY off. And its so disappointing to me since this is one of my favorite shows. It wasn't broken...they didn't need to try and "fix" it.
    Last edited by JustJuls; 11-11-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Tonight's elimination will be interesting because the two worst performances last night have been some of the judges' favorite dancers. I think Ellenore, Ryan, and Nathan are safe no matter what. Mollee may very well go home if she lands in the bottom 3.

Russell and Noelle are safe I think due to their performance this week. Jakob and Ashleigh are safe I think. Legacy is probably safe, Kathryn may be in danger if she's in the bottom with the wrong girls. Victor and Channing both could be in trouble if they're in the bottom. Same with Peter and Pauline.

So I think the people in most danger tonight are (in order of most danger to least):
    Girls - Mollee, Channing, Kathryn, Pauline
    Guys - Victor, Peter, Nathan

FORT Fogey

I wouldn't be surprised to see Victor and Channing in the bottom three. Since they are both Contemporary dancers, I expected the dance to be better. It seemed to lack any kind of emotional depth and just looked like a bunch of "non-organic" (Mia?) moves.

My favorites so far are Jakob, Russell, and Karen. I'm really starting to like Legacy too. I thought Peter and Pauline did a great job with what they were given. They had a lot of charisma.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by superfly;3748246;
    So I think the people in most danger tonight are (in order of most danger to least):
    Girls - Mollee, Channing, Kathryn, Pauline
    Guys - Victor, Peter, Nathan
    I think you are right - although I bet the Mollee/Nathan fans keep them off the danger list.

I hate to think of Peter going home. He has done a heroic job in every routine, and last night was a good example of that. He performed the hell out of that quick step. What it lacked in polish, he made up for in character and commitment. The thing is, Peter will NEVER perform a competitive number in his own style. He always has to stretch.

Victor is vulnerable because he did his own style and the number was good, but not great. If you consider that Jakob, Legacy, Ryan, Russell, and Nathan are top candidates for the tour, that doesn't leave room for a merely "good" contemporary dancer. Unfortunately, with Nathan and Jakob around, Victor won't really be missed. Which is unfortunate because I have enjoyed Victor's work. And he certainly hasn't belly-flopped like Ryan and Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3747773;
    Kevin/Karen: I do not see what the big deal is with this girl. She's not that good. She has yet to impress me. When she dances, I'm always drawn to Kevin.
    I happen to agree with you on this one. I don't see the "greatness". All I'm seeing is her acting like a s*** and all the judges seem to be impressed by her sexiness rather than her being good at the dancing. I dunno. I do NOT like Karen at all. Also, it seems to me that she's not good working with other people...

I don't agree with the dissing of Ashleigh here. I thought she did great, and I liked the cane number very much. This is, by the way, the 2nd 80's tune Mandy Moore used for a prop number - the table dance was done to the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams".
    Agreed.

The couples that stood out for me that night:

Ashleigh/Jakob
    Noelle/Russell

The rest weren't good...

Quote Originally Posted by live4romance;3748090;
    Speaking of Mia......has anything come out to say why she left the show?
    I read that Mia is working on a show of her own. It's in development and not much was said about it, but I got the idea it will be a competition type show for choreographers.

That's just my impression -- I can't swear to it, but I think that's what I heard.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread