+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Billy Bell - Season 7

FORT Fogey

Re: Billy Bell - Season 7

I pretty much agree with you, except I don't think that Billy's problem is that he can't act "with women"; I think his problem is that he can't act. Good actors allow their feelings to be transparent (like Kent). Billy isn't letting anything out. His quality of movement, though, is off-the-charts.

I can't criticise him for deciding not to dance this week.
    A stepping routine in big boots probably wouldn't have been the best thing for an injured knee.

The compromise they came up with in cutting two people next week was a reasonable decision under the circumstances, imo.

I would have hoped by now that the judges would be out of the equation and the bootee each week would be decided by viewer votes, but I think the recent spate of injuries has made it necessary for the judges to continue making the decisions.
    It seems like such a foregone conclusion Kent's going to win and they seem to be randomly selecting who goes on the tour so placings don't appear to be as important this season either.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Loved both his partner dances this week.
    I think he really shined, but it's likely too late to do any good.
    He hasn't caught the imagination of the public and I can't see him lasting past tonight.

The show is cruising along to a Kent win, imo.
    It reminds me very much of season 2, when Benji was going to win no matter what.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Entertainment Weekly has an exit interview with Billy. At last, the dancer speaks!

SYTYCD eliminated contestant Billy Bell talks injury

Here are some excerpts:

This year you also had your knee injury. What happened?
    I have a slightly torn [section] of my knee. Basically just soft tissue attached to ligaments. So yea. It kind of basically just messed up the tracking in my knee, and was causing me a lot of pain. So I went through a lot of physical therapy throughout the week to get it better, or a little less painful. And I wore a big old knee brace while dancing, and that helped out a lot.

It was a bit controversial that you decided not to dance, even though the doctor gave you the go-ahead. What was the reasoning for you sitting out?
    My entire reasoning for sitting out was because I’m a huge believer in prevention. And I thought, if I feel something tearing, why am I going to continue to tear it when I can stop, let it heal, and continue in the competition? Especially because, in the grand scheme of things, the show is such a small part of someone’s career. I was just thinking ahead of time. Whether I won or lost the competition. It’s better to win or lose the competition and be able to dance, than win or lose the competition and be like, oh, great, now my knee’s completely messed up and I’ll never be able to dance.

The week you did sit out, it seemed like Nigel was subtly critiquing you for doing so on results night. Did you think that was unfair?
    I did feel a little bit of criticism for my decision. I don’t regret it in any way whatsoever. I feel like I made the smartest decision. I was actually kind of upset, because stepping — that was my favorite routine that I had done all season. So to have to sit in the audience and watch tWitch do it was kind of horrible for me. Not going to lie. That was my favorite dance. So that definitely was rough. And then to hear the next day Nigel almost insinuate that I was, like, faking something, was almost like, are you kidding me? But things happen. TV happens. What are you gonna do, right? There’s always certain positions where you’re helpless, and you’re like, Okay. I can’t really say anything.

Last night, Nigel called you an androgynous dancer. Do you think of yourself that way?
    You know, I don’t really mind being androgynous. I think anything to set you apart is good. That’s kind of been the hot topic, I feel like. Everyone’s been on this androgynous case. I don’t really mind.

FORT Regular

I am glad that Billy was able to go out on a high note. His dance with Ade was my favorite routine that he performed in this season. I think Billy is correct in saying "TV happens." A small comment or facial expression can be blown out of proportion. He's talented and he should be able to launch an even more successful dance career because of his time on SYTYCD, and that is a win for him in and of itself.

I also think the field of male talent was very deep this year, unlike last season, and it was just more difficult for Billy to stand out. Especially since Alex sucked all the air out of the room (until the time he was injured and had to leave the show). Loved Alex, and loved that the other men were chasing him for the prize. Season has been ho-hum from the perspective of a competition since then. But I still love SYTYCD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234