+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 7/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3557662;
    I don't hate the girl, I just get a cocky vibe from her...I'm not sure why but I have noticed little things she says, like last week she mentioned "I hope they appreciate it" with regards to her dance, as opposed to I hope they like it...I subconsciously react to statements like that I guess (saying appreciate it, for me, implies that we 'should' be thankful). Also, it seems like she expects to be praised, etc...

As always, I could be 100% off in my analysis...but I get vibes off people and I can't help it! I thought Asuka seemed cocky too. Plus, Nigel, in all his grossness, has likely contributed to my assessment...as he continues to drool all over certain dancers (turning me way off).
    Sorry, I shouldn't use the term "hater." It's just a habit. And another thing, it sounds better than "disliker."

I don't know, I just accept that people will see whatever they see. But I personally don't see it. I think it's more that her confidence is lessening after all the times she has landed in the B3. Did you see the way her and Kupono reacted to being safe? It was a little OTT, but I don't think they expected to be safe. They wouldn't have reacted that way if they were expecting to be safe. The more OTT the reaction is, the more the contestants think they're not safe (see: Sabra/Dominic the first time they were safe).

So if her confidence is lessening, then why would she be cocky? She's kind of reserved (which can be interpreted as cocky), but maybe it's because she's just waiting for that assurance from the judges after landing in the B3 more times than others.

I think another thing people look at are her solos. People claim that because her solos suck, she doesn't put much work into them because she thinks she's safe. C'mon, that's a just over-analyzing and pure speculation. It's not like all of these dancers have amazing solos. Only a few of them can pull it out. Even Katee last year couldn't dance well in her solos. So I don't think her sucky solos mean a thing.

And Nigel laid off of Kayla this week. He actually had critiques for her this time. He's drooling over other contestants (Brandon & Janette) moreso than Kayla now.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 07-10-2009 at 03:12 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

I liked Caitlin quite a bit but I think it hurt her (and her partner) because it seemed like they didn't have a "connection." They never really sold the routines like Melissa and Ade and some of the other dancers do. Melissa always looks at Ade (when she is dancing) like she is madly in love and just has to be with him. Caitlin and Jason always look like they are peforming for/to the audience so their routines lack that "we're crazy about each other" feeling. It didn't hurt Jason as much as Caitlin because Phillip, who is a weaker dancer, was still in the competition.

The girls are really strong this time around and a think a girl will win this.

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727;3557761;
    ITA... Jeanine and Janette are really standing out in my mind right now. Brandon is the only one of the guys who is right there with them.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3557165;
    I just wanta throw in that I do not like Kayla anymore (which is strange because I liker her at the beginning). I feel like she might be a bit cocky...anyone else feel the same way?
    I wonder, now that the voters are in charge, if they will knock Nigel's favorites obvious favorites out?
    I know from reading posts here and elsewhere that you are certainly not alone in feeling this.

But, I'm going to do a little "soapboxing" here (and this is just my personal perspective) - I have to say my gut reaction when I read this is along the lines of: Of course she's cocky!

And so is Brandon, Janette, Jeanine, Jason, Caitlin, Ade, Melissa, Mia, Wade, NappyTabs, Tyce, etc. They would not have risen to their current position and placed themselves in the limelight of national TV without a generous helping of self esteem. This is a dance competition - you can't compete unless you are brimming with confidence. If you are not, Nigel is going to label you as "desperate" or lacking star quality.

You know - Barack Obama is cocky. So is Mikail Baryshnikov, Lance Armstrong, Roger Fedderer, Michael Phelps, etc. Wouldn't it be ridiculous to withhold an Olympic Gold Medal from an athlete because they were "too full of themselves"?

But - that shows my bias. I enjoy the show as a dance competition. And I must grudgingly admit that Fox has not spent millions of dollars to mount this show only for my personal taste. Lots of fans enjoy the show for the personalities. Sort of like, The Real World: The Musical.

I'm trying to learn to be OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3557165;
    I just wanta throw in that I do not like Kayla anymore (which is strange because I liker her at the beginning). I feel like she might be a bit cocky...anyone else feel the same way?
    Be pretty dumb if she is (cocky that is). She's in the most competitive female finalist group the show's ever had, I think. Cockiness would be damn stupid.

She should certainly be confident, but that's different.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3556838;
    anyone else like the opening number - choreo by NappyTabs? Not their usual softer stuff, I liked it very much.
    I actually didn't like this one very much. The "dance remix" version of Seven Nation Army was just killing me. It is one of only a couple of song by The White Stripes that I like and the more stripped down version of the song would have been great for that number. I actually thought it could have been even harder than it was. But it was definitely a change for NappyTabs. I also initially thought it was probably Shane Sparks.

I thought the judges were really blanding-out their reviews on the performance show to avoid voter backlash - either people voting against people who get rave reviews (Kayla) or voting for people they want to keep after they get a bad review (Phillip).

I am in the boat with all of the people who see Kayla as sweet and not at all cocky.
    I did used to have an issue with Brandon, but no longer do. I think I've figured him out.
    I also disliked Asuka until the very end when we saw her break down and also say such warm amazing things about Vitolio.

The person I have yet to be able to peg down and 'get' is Mellissa.
    I want to like her, but I find something about her to be incredibly affected? or disingenuous maybe?
    I just have trouble believing her sometimes. Anyone else having this?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

:)

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3561073;
    I am in the boat with all of the people who see
    The person I have yet to be able to peg down and 'get' is Mellissa.
    I want to like her, but I find something about her to be incredibly affected? or disingenuous maybe?
    I just have trouble believing her sometimes. Anyone else having this?
    Yep I know exactly what you are talking about. And she is the only one of the top 12 that leaves me feeling that way.

I think Melissa has a ton of dance talent, but yes, her personality seems very affected to me--I don't see many clues to what she's like as a person. She doesn't make me care one way or the other if she makes it any further, though I'm sure she will.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gracie727

I hope so. I thought every female with the exception of "super chunk" (Randi) deserved to go through. I cannot believe America did not put her in the bottom 3 this week!!!
    The only guy who really stood out for me was Philip, and I don't think they gave him as much credit as he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3563579;
    I think Melissa has a ton of dance talent, but yes, her personality seems very affected to me--I don't see many clues to what she's like as a person. She doesn't make me care one way or the other if she makes it any further, though I'm sure she will.
    I do not think she is affected. I think she is a grown up, and therefore has different energy from the kids on the show.

+ Reply to Thread