+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Tidwell - Season 3

FORT Newbie

Re: Danny Tidwell - Season 3

Generally speaking, I like Danny, and I certainly don’t see any of the supposed arrogance everyone is talking about. He just strikes me as being emotionally frugal…no matter.

I’ve really enjoyed him the last two weeks but I think part of that is the dance styles he’s gotten and another part is Anya. Like Mia said last night, his hands do their own little separate dance (they do and it’s lovely), which is great when he’s doing a flowing romantic waltz and he looked good in the jive because it’s spunky (he looked like he was having a blast) and Anya is smoking hot. Overall though, there’s something about the way he moves that irks me…it’s just a smidgen too effeminate. I can’t quite see him pulling off a powerful paso doble and I shudder to think what he’ll do with hip-hop - especially if he’s stuck with Shane Sparks (who I personally think is a poor choreographer for not taking into account the strengths of the non hip-hop his dancers).

Basically, I’m not expecting him to be this year’s Travis Wall… after last nights performance, I think that title might go to Neil.

I loved Danny's dancing last night. Absolutely mesmerizing. He lucked out in the pairing with Anya; if she can't bring out the sexy or masculine in a guy, there is none there.

But I do see arrogance in his demeanor. My sister used to dance with Oregon Ballet Theater; Danny reminds me of countless middlin' to very good male ballerinas who were outwardly 100% sure they were the best thing to wear tights since Nureyev, but inside a mess of self doubt and unhappiness. It's not just the perfect ballet posture (), it's the way he chooses his words, the perfectly nearly imperceptible way he makes sure everyone knows he isn't into his partner (and I don't mean sexual attraction), the smugness arising from inflated self confidence that's often a mask of a terribly emotionally insecure dancer. I've just seen it all before and it's always bugged me.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

FORT Fogey

I dont see arrogance and wouldnt have if it werent for the editing which put the thought in the minds of viewers, which is a shame. I didnt even know the guy existed before they showed that clip of the judges talking about his arrogance!

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;2447404;
    His personality can stink for all I care, the man can dance. He and Anya was just awesome last night. Good job.
    Indeed he can dance, but let us not forget about Blake from season 1. The guy was arguably the best dancer in the competition and could've won the whole shebang, but his personality stunk, and the first chance the audience had, they kicked his cocky behind outta there. Danny is, in my opinion, one of the best dancers this season, but I know I ain't the only one who thinks his attitude sucks, and if there are enough out there who think the same way, that could be his eventual demise... at least I certainly hope so.

FORT Fogey

Why does his personality suck? Have we seen enough to make that determination, outside of the clip of the judges saying he is arrogant?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just don't get the attitude-bashing. You can't be a top-notched dancer with crappy confidence. All of this stuff just sounds, to me, like what my son and his friends would call "player-hating"....jealousy over another's above average skills.

Some people with zero skills will always want to berate others for being able to do what they can't!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-21-2007 at 05:26 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mellypea, "emotionally frugal" is the perfect phrase here. He strikes me the same way- reserved, guarded, etc etc...

I'm intrigued by his life pre-dance, as he started talking about it in the interviews about why he began dancing. It was very vague as to what sort of trouble he was getting in to.

Anyway, I'm definitely a Danny fan. I think he's got tremendous talent and is very versatile. I think his movement is "dance masculine," if I can call it that- not at all the same as "street masculine," but strong, centered, controlled, sensual, and graceful nonetheless.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Danny is an amazing dancer and you can't beat the ballet trained dancer for technique, but he does seem effeminate at times.

Compared to Nick Lazzarini, or Blake McGrath or even Travis Wall, Danny has a different style. While I think he has the best technique, I'm not sure I like his style.
    Tahoe bound....

Do you think he can get any better? I think this show is also about growth as well.

Hmm. I don't see his style as masculine at all. For me, when I compare some of the Russian ballet greats, for example, Danny's more feminine presence and style are glaringly obvious. Something about the way the Russians are (were?) trained, or maybe just the cultural differences, result in a much more commanding, strong style that doesn't sacrifice grace or emotive quality.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

+ Reply to Thread