+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominic Sandoval - Season 3

Re: Dominic Sandoval - Season 3

I'll have to admit... right off the bat Dominic was definately NOT one of my favorites. Actually, I wanted him to get voted out during the first elimination round. But.... watching him these last couple episodes, he has turned into one of my favorites! I would say that he is definately the most improved since week 1, and the chemistry that he and Sabra have is pretty unbelievable. During rehersals and while onstage, you can see how much heart he puts in to his dances. He and Sabra's rumba last week was breathtaking. I can't wait to see their next dance!

Okay...

I know I'm probably in the minority here...

But I think Dominic is one of the least impressive guys this season. I'm fine with him still being around for now, but I have a bad feeling he's really going to overstay his welcome once he makes it into the top 10 and it's all based on America's votes, which he probably will since he's got a following and the judges like his growth.

I think his personality is a ton of fun- kind of guy I'd want to be best friends with in high school... and he is definitely growing as a dancer in other styles, and his chemistry with Sabra is really getting strong. And his own solo moves are impressive.

But I just know he's going to outlast at least most of the other guys here. Danny, Pasha, Hok, and Kameron are all guys I think should go further based on their performances, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dominic beats out all of them.

Dominic will appeal most to young teenage girls, and it's no secret they're an over-represented segment of the voting audience).

I'm glad he's here- I want Cedric and Neil to go before him, but if Dominic is in the Final Four, as at this rate he likely will be, it will be undeserved.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Fogey

I see Dom and Hok about equal, so I think the most popular one will survive. I really like Dom since he has done well and has so LITTLE experience in Ballroom (which he's had 2 out of 3 weeks).

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass;2458955;
    ... if Dominic is in the Final Four, as at this rate he likely will be, it will be undeserved.
    I would say the exact opposite. The guy has less training then all the other major contenders you listed, yet he has given three solid performances. It’s clear from what we’ve seen that he works very hard at learning the different styles he’s been given and is very committed to the competition. I mean, if that’s not deserving of recognition, what is?
    Hey, arrête de niaiser là! Donnes-moi mes bonbons puis fait ça vite là, j’t’ en retard sur ma run!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellypea77;2459582;
    I would say the exact opposite. The guy has less training then all the other major contenders you listed, yet he has given three solid performances. It’s clear from what we’ve seen that he works very hard at learning the different styles he’s been given and is very committed to the competition. I mean, if that’s not deserving of recognition, what is?
    You've got a point there. If this competition is looked at in terms of growth, then Dominic would certainly deserve to go very far. And there's nothing wrong with basing your favorite on that standard. It's just not my standard.

I do recognize how hard he's worked and I think that's fantastic. And he seems like a great guy. I just want the best dancer to win, and I really don't think that's Dominic, by any stretch of the imagination.

In terms of overall dance ability, I think people like the ones I mentioned, with so much previous training and technique, shouldn't be penalized for having that prior experience. Dominic is getting praise for doing so well considering he hasn't trained outside of his very limited specialty area. The judges are considering him on a very different level than they are people like Danny, Ricky, Kameron, Neil, and even Hok.

I'd rather see those who are the most capable at DANCING stick around the longest, and I really think Dominic has been one of the least capable from the get-go and there's no way he could reach the same technical level as the other competitors in the period of a few weeks. The day he spins on one foot as well as he spins on his head, I'll eat my words.

I don't care so much about growth, although yes, of course I'd rather they improve than not. I know that puts me in the minority as far as what I want to see in the winner, but so be it. I'd rather see a dancing competition than a popularity contest, which is exactly what I believe last year became.
    Last edited by Aota Bass; 07-04-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Newbie

Dominic is definitely in the running to win it all. Lots of heart, which the judges love, memorable dancing, and improving every week. The ingredients of a winner.

Rich

I love Dominick for his growth and his effort and his personality.

However, I still favor Hok because I think Hok is a better and more accomplished all-round breaker. Which he should be because he has been doing it longer than Dominick, I think. If you watch in the group, I noticed that Hok actually does the leg jump through in a more difficult fashion than Dom and Sarah did. Plus, Hok's movement is very crisp and clean, and some of his abilities make it look preternatural. I also think Hok isn't too shabby at other dances; his Samba wasn't great but it wasn't bad.

That said, I did not want Dom gone right away, and I do want him in the top 10. He is apparently this year's Ivan and I think he deserves it more than Ivan did (who was carried and coached quite a bit by the best dancer last year Allison).

I am really favoring Sabra more and more, though.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kyrjar;2462370;

I am really favoring Sabra more and more, though.
    I'm with you. I think Sabra is coming into her own and is really starting to stand out. I think she will make the top four, at least. As for Dominic and Hok ... Hok seems to be more one note, while Dominic looks like he might be able to develop more over the following weeks. We shall see ... But Hok did a great job last week and really created a very memorable routine.

Rich

I think Domenic's overall approach has really helped Sabra. Between the two of them, they have less formal dance training than Lauren, but I'd put both of them (D&S) into the final four right now based on what they've accomplished.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass;2460558;
    You've got a point there. If this competition is looked at in terms of growth, then Dominic would certainly deserve to go very far. And there's nothing wrong with basing your favorite on that standard. It's just not my standard.

I do recognize how hard he's worked and I think that's fantastic. And he seems like a great guy. I just want the best dancer to win, and I really don't think that's Dominic, by any stretch of the imagination.

In terms of overall dance ability, I think people like the ones I mentioned, with so much previous training and technique, shouldn't be penalized for having that prior experience. Dominic is getting praise for doing so well considering he hasn't trained outside of his very limited specialty area. The judges are considering him on a very different level than they are people like Danny, Ricky, Kameron, Neil, and even Hok.

I'd rather see those who are the most capable at DANCING stick around the longest, and I really think Dominic has been one of the least capable from the get-go and there's no way he could reach the same technical level as the other competitors in the period of a few weeks. The day he spins on one foot as well as he spins on his head, I'll eat my words.

I don't care so much about growth, although yes, of course I'd rather they improve than not. I know that puts me in the minority as far as what I want to see in the winner, but so be it. I'd rather see a dancing competition than a popularity contest, which is exactly what I believe last year became.

"The day all of the dancers spin on their heads like they spin on their feet, I'll eat MY words."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast