+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Really America's Choice?

FORT Newbie
    I don't like how Jason was probably let go because the judges didn't want pre-show dance partners Heidi and Dmitry to end up together. How is that Jason's fault? But the show is too inflexible to mix things up so they went with the option to avoid the wrong pairing.

Oh well.

FLYing using babysteps LilLisaLou's Avatar
    I would like to see how the judges come to their decision. I wonder how much weight each person at that table actually gets when it comes down to it. Does Nigel get the "final" say? Is Nigel influenced by a panel that tells him how he should make the outcome?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by drkim View Post

I like that the judges have the final say - ensures the best get to stay regardless of popularity. Of course if the worst dancers are not in the bottom 3 then the judges can't do anything. (Ben and Ashlee two weeks in a row)

How did it work last year??? Same way? I can't remember.
    Wasn't it the reverse? Last year I remember the judges picked the bottom 2 or 3 couples and then the audience voted someone out.

finally one of the reality shows has the proper voting procedures in place. america doesn't pick the best they pick the one they like. there is a distinct difference. at least if america screws up the bottom three then knowledgable judges can eliminate the one that needs to go out of their choice. most reality shows are nothing but popularity shows. i am thrilled that they are doing the voting this way. i just wish that all of them would now start using this method. i can only hope.
    ladybugbaby

Quote Originally Posted by Siso View Post
    Wasn't it the reverse? Last year I remember the judges picked the bottom 2 or 3 couples and then the audience voted someone out.
    Hum, I think you are right. Cause I remember many times the person who left was NOT the weakest dancer and thinking they were the most popular. I like it this year much better. We narrow it down, but the judges choose the persons who leave.

And I would guess that Nigel has the final say, but I'm not aware of any dance training on his part, so I imagine the choreographers make recommendations and Nigel really listens to them.

I think that because the winner will be dancing in Vegas in Celine's show, it does put pressure on choosing the best dancer, not the most popular regardless of public vote results. To me it makes this competition more real than just a popularity contest.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

FORT Newbie
    Someone said: I'm wondering who has the final say? Remember in one tv show during auditions Nigel said I don't care what the other two judges think. I'm the executive producer and if I say you aren't on the show you wont be!!

That statement shocked me, it was like I have full control of this show.

So... if the judges keep only the strongest dancers, why they let go Alexandra's partner. He was good, he had rhythm and style?

Ciao

Christo.

p.s. Please don't laugh about my English, it isn't my first language!! I hope you understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyoku View Post
    Is it me or does anyone else hate the current elimination method. It is totally not fair because it truly isn't in America's hands. The judges will choose who gets eliminated and wins. Thats not right. Why bother voting if we don't get the final say...
    America, as a whole, is not very knowledgeable about dance.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    I'd love to see the whole thing in the judges' hands, but with a lrager panel of judges, the same ones from week to week, representing all disciplines of dance represented in the show
    Personally, I could do without the audition flashbacks. More judges would fill the time with something relevant. There were four last year. I appreciate their opinions.

I also like seeing the sessions with the choreographer. It not only gives me insight into the dance styles, but also lets me see how far the contestants have come (or not come, in the case of moves we see in rehersal which do not make it to performance).

I am not sure how I feel about the Hip-Hopping Duo becoming judges a week after Nigel met them. The other judges have been with the show from the beginning and have seen the contestants since they first auditioned.

At any rate, I agree. More judges, less filler.

FORT Newbie
    Pros:
    1) Since America is forced to vote by couple, you remove the unfairness of a good dancer being dragged down and eliminated by association with a less skilled dancer. (ex. Snow from season 1)
    2) Since America is forced to vote by couple, you remove the opportunity for a less skilled dancer sticking around, just because they are partnered with a better dancer people want to stay around. (ex. Alan from season 1)

Cons:
    1) Judges can manipulate the results for casting or look and feel purposes rather than merit or audience choice. (I think Jason was let go more for looking too similar to Ryan or to avoid a Dmitry/Heidi pairing than lack of ability to dance).
    2) If the judges are going to boot people according to their preference, why make it seem like the Audience has anything to do with the outcome of the show? It's like false advertising.

FORT Newbie
    I think the judges choosing up till last week served it's purpose. I think you truly got the best 10 dancers. Now it is up to the people. I hope they do as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast