+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skating with the Stars; 12/21 episode

FORT Fogey

Skating with the Stars; 12/21 episode

Okay, I thought I'd start...

Johnny nearly dropping Brooke into the audience was scary.

I cannot believe the judges are gushing over Bethenny. She barely skated during that number. Either she was being carried or she was literally on both feet at the same time. Or strutting. Whatever she was doing, she wasn't skating.

And now Tanith has to join the We Love Bethenny fan club. Are they trying to convince the audience she's better than she is so that is she wins, no one will mind?

51? The dopey woman judge gave her a 10 for artistic impression? Are they determined to just hand this thing over to her?

FORT Regular

Re: Skating with the Stars; 12/21 episode

Did they mention what's wrong with Brandon earlier? I missed the start.

Rebecca was just great. I'm crossing my fingers that she wins.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Valancy;4131062;
    Did they mention what's wrong with Brandon earlier? I missed the start. Rebecca was just great. I'm crossing my fingers that she wins.
    They didn't say anything about what was wrong with Brandon except that he still wasn't able to skate. I didn't think he looked all that good afterwards when he was congratulating Rebecca either, poor guy. Speaking of which, thank St. Lydwina (patron saint of figure skaters) that Rebecca won. She was much, much better than Bethenny tonight. In fact, the way they inflated Bethenny's scores, she really should have gotten elevens, because she was more than just a couple of points better than Bethenny (or equal to her artistically, according to that moronic choreographer judge).

By the way, what was with the whole stupid opening number she choreographed? I flashed back to that awful Miley Cyrus number on DWTS. Honestly, I saw Johnny skating to Ave Maria as part of a skating special this weekend, and it's so much easier to appreciate him as a skater when the music has a clear melodic line and his costumes are simpler. All the make-up and overly complex costumes distract from his line etc. Naturally, the crowd screamed like banshees when his second number in the show was Bad Romance, but the skating itself was so much purer in the first number. I've gotten so used to seeing him in full out pop culture icon mode that I'd forgotten what I had initially liked about his skating style, and I was glad to be reminded of it. I swear, I'd like him to take a classical piece of his choice and just skate to it in a plain costume of one solid color, just so people could see how beautifully he's capable of moving. It's hard to see that in amidst all the theatricality. Of course, I've always thought it would be interesting to see a competition with everyone in basic costumes for exactly that reason, so it's not just something I've noticed with Johnny.

I'm so relieved that Rebecca won. Her comment in the Kiss and Cry room that she knew it was just a trophy from a TV show, but she really did want to win it was funny. She deserved the golden skates.

Before this show, I wasn't familiar with Johnny Weir beyond comments on FORT about him as a potential contestant on DWTS. When my 10 year old son saw him skate tonight, he couldn't get over how much he reminds him of Michael Jackson in that it is very difficult for him to tell if he's a boy or a girl.

I agree with the poster who had Miley Cyrus DWTS flashbacks with the S&M birdcage. Blech.

Well the season was a flop, but at least the right skater won. On the whole the season was underwhelming. In spite of my love for skating I really don't care if they ever have another season of this show.

I will say that the greatest professional growth coming out of the show was Tanith Belbin. What a great choice as a hostess. She was sequestered in a sound proof booth on the first show, but by the end of the run she was right out there with Vernon and holding her own. I loved the way she wasn't afraid to pose an interesting question in the interview. I roared when she asked Johnny Mosley about the music selection in the semi-final. That was a priceless moment in reality TV. Why can't Brooke Burke ever come up with something like that. I'm ready to give Tanith the DwtS job now.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;4131102;
    Well the season was a flop, but at least the right skater won. On the whole the season was underwhelming. In spite of my love for skating I really don't care if they ever have another season of this show.

I will say that the greatest professional growth coming out of the show was Tanith Belbin. What a great choice as a hostess. She was sequestered in a sound proof booth on the first show, but by the end of the run she was right out there with Vernon and holding her own. I loved the way she wasn't afraid to pose an interesting question in the interview. I roared when she asked Johnny Mosley about the music selection in the semi-final. That was a priceless moment in reality TV. Why can't Brooke Burke ever come up with something like that. I'm ready to give Tanith the DwtS job now.
    Agreed. (with all of it)

I'd love to see Tanith doing DWTS and I think she'd do a terrific job. No, she's not got experience in ballroom, but how much experience does Brooke have? None beyond her time on DWTS and that didn't seem to help her as a co-host. Tanith is a natural.

ETA: This isn't the only place I've read comments about Tanith replacing Brooke Burke. I hope the ABC people read the message boards!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Just a curiosity question: Do you think there will be another "season" of this program?

I tuned in long enough to make sure that Rebecca won. At least the best skater won even in the 2nd best wasn't in the f2.

I can't imagine this will be back. The skating was much better than I thought but how many so-called stars are they going to find with skating experience and who's willing to risk breaking something?

I have to say.... I'm so glad this show is over with! I think it has the potential to be a good show but the judges need to be replaced, they need a larger skating rink and that english guy is a bit annoying. I didn't see every episode but it does appear the right person won. As for Bethany, I don't think she was that bad. I thought that one move where he spun in the air was quite good and BRAVE!!!

I agree with everyone about Tanith. She's a natual at this. Would love to see her on DWTS.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4131118;
    Agreed. (with all of it)

I'd love to see Tanith doing DWTS and I think she'd do a terrific job. No, she's not got experience in ballroom, but how much experience does Brooke have? None beyond her time on DWTS and that didn't seem to help her as a co-host. Tanith is a natural.

ETA: This isn't the only place I've read comments about Tanith replacing Brooke Burke. I hope the ABC people read the message boards!
    Given that Tanith is an ice dancer and came up through the ranks when there were still compulsory dances, I'd say she knows more than Brooke about ballroom dance, as the dances she would have had to learn to skate are at least somewhat similar to the ballroom styles on which they're based and she had to be able to do them on a world class level. She ought to know enough about the basics of a lot of dances to make reasonably intelligent comments about them. Tanith also has a discernible on-camera personality, which is something Brooke has always lacked. Oh, and Tanith would not constantly be referring to remembering her time on the show or when she danced with Derek.

I don't know that Tanith would be available for a full season of DWTS, however, since she's also been working as a figure skating commentator. I don't know that she'd want to give that up, and I'm not sure whether she could fit DWTS around it, as the Grand Prix is in the fall and Worlds is in March.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast