+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skating with the Stars; 12/21 episode

Re: Skating with the Stars; 12/21 episode

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4131130;
    Just a curiosity question: Do you think there will be another "season" of this program?
    Nah. This show was really lame.

If you judge by how much interest in the show there was on this board, the show seems to have been a HUGE flop. I actually enjoyed some parts of it, but it would need serious revamping if they brought it back, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4131247;
    If you judge by how much interest in the show there was on this board, the show seems to have been a HUGE flop. I actually enjoyed some parts of it, but it would need serious revamping if they brought it back, imo.
    I totally agree with you. The skating was great, and I think the stars did really well considereing how recent they are to their training. Dick and Johnny are fine, but Lorie Ann and Vernon have to go for me to watch next year and I love anything Figure Skating related. Glad Rebecca won, was rooting for her all season. Do wish either Brandon or Jonny Miller had been with her in the final rather than Bethany, but you can't argue with the popularity of the housewives if the tabloids are an indicator (though I don't watch any of the real housewives shows.)
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Glad to see that sanity was restored to the show last night with Rebecca winning.
    I also agree with moving Tanith over to DWTS. She did a great job. She also "seemed" like a host and not just window dressing. What a concept.
    I didn't mind the British judge at all. I think Lori Ann was the only dud of the group.
    Much as i like Johnny Weir's ice skating, I thought that performance was too over the top. Since it was choreographed by Lori Ann, perhaps that's another reason why I didn't care fror her.
    I don't watch the soaps, so I knew little about Rebecca before. Just the fact that she'd married Bachelor Bob. Not a great claim to fame, IMO. However, she seems to have quite a lovely warm and engaging personality. What a direct contrast to Bethenny, who I did know from before and like even less than I did.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4131169;
    Given that Tanith is an ice dancer and came up through the ranks when there were still compulsory dances, I'd say she knows more than Brooke about ballroom dance, as the dances she would have had to learn to skate are at least somewhat similar to the ballroom styles on which they're based and she had to be able to do them on a world class level. She ought to know enough about the basics of a lot of dances to make reasonably intelligent comments about them. Tanith also has a discernible on-camera personality, which is something Brooke has always lacked. Oh, and Tanith would not constantly be referring to remembering her time on the show or when she danced with Derek.

I don't know that Tanith would be available for a full season of DWTS, however, since she's also been working as a figure skating commentator. I don't know that she'd want to give that up, and I'm not sure whether she could fit DWTS around it, as the Grand Prix is in the fall and Worlds is in March.
    I'm sure that Tanith is a fantastic ballroom dancer. Many elite ice dancers cross train in ballroom in order to help with dance expression when interpreting the different dance styles. Even if she didn't cross train on the ballroom floor she had to do ice dances included several variations of waltz and tango, paso doble, cha cha, rhumba, samba, etc. You can find many of these ice dances on YouTube and other streaming video sites. Just watch them and you can imagine how well she could do them on the floor.

From an availability standpoint - DwtS airs on Monday and Tuesday evenings only. Most skating competitions are on Wednesdays through Sundays. I would think that the scheduling issues associated with skating competition commentary could be worked out. A bigger scheduling conflict would likely be her "Stars on Ice" tour contractual obligations. She is one of the headliners of the show. This could also be mitigated as was seen with Evan Lysacek in DwtS season 10.

Maybe we could start an online campaign to replace Brooke with Tanith.
    Much like what happened on Facebook to get Betty White a hosting job on SNL.
    That would be great.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;4131278;
    I'm sure that Tanith is a fantastic ballroom dancer. Many elite ice dancers cross train in ballroom in order to help with dance expression when interpreting the different dance styles. Even if she didn't cross train on the ballroom floor she had to do ice dances included several variations of waltz and tango, paso doble, cha cha, rhumba, samba, etc. You can find many of these ice dances on YouTube and other streaming video sites. Just watch them and you can imagine how well she could do them on the floor.

From an availability standpoint - DwtS airs on Monday and Tuesday evenings only. Most skating competitions are on Wednesdays through Sundays. I would think that the scheduling issues associated with skating competition commentary could be worked out. A bigger scheduling conflict would likely be her "Stars on Ice" tour contractual obligations. She is one of the headliners of the show. This could also be mitigated as was seen with Evan Lysacek in DwtS season 10.
    Didn't Punsulan/Swallow compete in ballroom dancing as well as ice dancing. They did a story on them during the 98 Olympics but it has been too long and I can't remember it. I do know that they did cross train in ballroom dancing. That was before they made ballroom dancing an Olympic sport. I like to watch the compulsary dances in the Olympics and I can definitely see it's correlation to the ballroom dancing. My favorite was watching the quickstep one they did in Salt Lake, but I like quickstep on DWTS if it is done well.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12