+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWTS 12/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

SWTS 12/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments on tonights show

Re: Swts 12/13

I had to start a thread for tonight because I need to say that Johnny Weir is so taken with himself that it makes me want to throw something at my bigscreen.....

His remarks to Bethanny were uncalled for.
    If it thought about it, what she is saying is that she is skating for herself and the judges comments won't keep her from trying to do well.

Stop being such a pain in the a$$

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Re: Swts 12/13

I think what Johnny was saying referred to the week before when Bethany made some very rude comments about the judges saying that she didn't care what they thought, that she didn't skate for them. I guess Johnny is tempermental enough to take exception.
    I think it was a stupid thing for her to say if she wants to stick around. She depends on their scores as well as the voting public.

FORT Fogey

Re: SWTS 12/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

What I found astonishing about Johnny getting so snippy about Bethenny not listening to what the judges were saying is that Johnny himself had a reputation for not listening to anyone--the judges, the USFSA etc.--about his skating, and he was proud of that reputation. For instance, he said that he had no chance of making the podium at the Olympics once it was clear that Evan likely would, because the judges wouldn't want a podium with two skaters from the same country or continent (a fairly silly remark, given the podiums in all other disciplines at the 2010 Olympics: pairs had two Chinese couples in the top positions, ladies had two Asian women, and dance had two North American teams--and if you look at worlds and Olympic podiums of the past, it's not at all uncommon for there to be skaters from the same country/continent sharing the podium). He also has remarked frequently on the lack of support he received from the United States figure skating community. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to say any of those things, but it just boggles the mind that having done so, he should get so upset with Bethenny for not caring what the judges thought that he would tell her he didn't care to see her skate anymore. Geez, Johnny, it's not like she's competing for real, here. It's just some goofy televised competition for rank amateurs. If you didn't always listen to the judges regarding your skating when you were actually attempting to win international titles in the sport, you can't expect her to care more than you did.

That being said, Bethenny does seem a lot more flippant about the sport than the two remaining skaters and she clearly isn't as good as they are, so she really should go next. I hope Johnny appearing to pick on her doesn't help her with the audience vote.

I didn't like the way the judges went after Rebecca for depending too much on her partner either. What's she supposed to do? She's not the one who should be lifting or throwing her partner or holding the pivot while he does a death spiral. To be fair, Johnny had to depend on his partner to land that throw too, and the woman can sometimes save a bad throw. I get the feeling Johnny has kind of become the judges' pet. I don't dislike him, but his bad posture is at least as noticeable as Rebecca's dependence on her partner, and he was clearly caught off balance at the end of their program. I don't see that he was really a point above Rebecca technically or artistically. Rebecca may not have done a throw, but it wasn't required that the contestants do all three moves, and her overhead lifts were spinning lifts and they maintained a decent speed, plus one lift went to one hand, which is harder, obviously, to balance. What puts Rebecca ahead of Johnny for me is that she delivers the moves more smoothly with more flow. I did appreciate Johnny admitting how really hard skating is. Too many people act as if it's some fluffy, silly, sequined sport that isn't really athletic, and that's simply not true. You have to have a really strong core and legs to skate well.
    Last edited by Tilden; 12-14-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: To put in proper paragraphing which was eliminated when the post first appeared

I feel such a rant coming on...Okay, here goes.

This show is such a poor excuse for and rip off of DWTS. I am so glad their finale is next week. The host was left with his mouth hanging open more than once, and for once his co-host couldn't save him. Yuck.

I couldn't believe they pushed the requirements to lifts, spirals and throws that competition skaters take years to perfect, then expect these amateurs to be spot on immediately. ARGH!

The judges are a nightmare. Sure, two of them are experienced in the skating world, but not the amateur (have only skated for six weeks) skating world. There was no call for either Johnny or Dick to go to the extremely unprofessional level of belittling the female skaters. Rebecca needs to depend on her partner for all the lifts they put in their program and Bethenny's remarks from a previous week are her remarks from a previous week...as I said, there was no reason for the judges to stoop so low. Dick was right when comparing himself to Betty White - he is old. If he wanted to make a statement about his professional experience as a judge, he should have compared himself to Len Goodman. Oh, I can't even...

On another note, it was so sad and somewhat shocking to see Brandon Mychal Smith so frail that he had to sit on a chair during his short history recap with the show. I am not liking his partner even more this week and the way they showed her all pouty waiting for Brandon to show up for practice. I know she was probably directed and it was edited to elicit sympathy for her, but then they also had her skate out alone on the ice for the intro and didn't say a word about him until he was brought out on the ice. Why have her skate out alone at the intro...that was dumb.

I did like that Jonny Mosely acknowledged the difficulty of skating and wish the judges would also acknowledge it.

I'm trying to be nice about some things...such as I really liked Rebecca again tonight and thought she deserved as high a score as Jonny if not higher...well, that didn't come off as nice as I would have wanted. Looks like my rant truly wasn't over. I'll try again.

A couple of side notes: I noticed Jonathan "The Weatherman" was in the audience again. I wonder if he is dating someone connected with the show. Speaking of Keanu's double, Cheryl (DWTS), she was in an Elmore Toyota commercial similar to the one that featured Tenley from the Bachelor.

I guess I did end this post on a nice note after all.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4126138;
    The judges are a nightmare. Sure, two of them are experienced in the skating world, but not the amateur (have only skated for six weeks) skating world. There was no call for either Johnny or Dick to go to the extremely unprofessional level of belittling the female skaters. Rebecca needs to depend on her partner for all the lifts they put in their program and Bethenny's remarks from a previous week are her remarks from a previous week...as I said, there was no reason for the judges to stoop so low. Dick was right when comparing himself to Betty White - he is old. If he wanted to make a statement about his professional experience as a judge, he should have compared himself to Len Goodman. Oh, I can't even...
    The amateur skating world is pretty much ALL of their experience. I'd say that most, if not all, of the skating competitions that Dick commentates are amateur competitions and, while Johnny seems to have retired, I don't know if he actually went pro. It seems like the pro figure skating circuit has pretty much died.

I love Dick Button. I'd be happy to see him on anything but I sincerely hope that if they ever do this show again, they replace Johnny Weir (who is clearly not cut out for this) and Laurie Ann. Why they hired her in the first place, I'll never know. Johnny may be a bitch, but at least he has the knowledge to back up his critiques.

Len Goodman should compare himself to Dick Button. Dick is far more distinguished in his field than Len is in his.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

This is pissing me off. For the last 3 performances, Johnny has had visible mistakes in his dance and yet has been the highest scorer in the last two rounds.

Rebecca is on another level to the other three. I'm not sure what she has to do for them to be finally satisfied. I worry she is going to get screwed over because of lazy and bad judging. I think it's pretty clear she is the best dancer and I hope America sees that too.

Then again, in the FOX show the far better skater still lost despite it being only the judges score counting.

I too was very surprised to see that the skaters had to do lifts, the death spiral etc...very advanced moves and learn them in one week. It just seemed totally stupid and irresponsible.

I too saw Johnny Mosley have a visible mistake last night and it seemed too be ignored.

Johnny Weir's comments to Rebecca about depending on her partner too much were too much. Johnny W get a hold of your self.

As far as Bethany Frankel goes she just has a rotten attitude. It is pretty obvious she has been told to play nice and not make comments about the "judging" yet it is sounds so insincere coming out of her mouth.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4126145;
    The amateur skating world is pretty much ALL of their experience. I'd say that most, if not all, of the skating competitions that Dick commentates are amateur competitions and, while Johnny seems to have retired, I don't know if he actually went pro. It seems like the pro figure skating circuit has pretty much died.

I love Dick Button. I'd be happy to see him on anything but I sincerely hope that if they ever do this show again, they replace Johnny Weir (who is clearly not cut out for this) and Laurie Ann. Why they hired her in the first place, I'll never know. Johnny may be a bitch, but at least he has the knowledge to back up his critiques.

Len Goodman should compare himself to Dick Button. Dick is far more distinguished in his field than Len is in his.
    Technically, Johnny has done nothing to retire officially from the Olympic eligible or amateur ranks, and he's said he would like to be in Sochi, but unless he's there as some kind of commentator, I don't see him sticking around that long. He has too many other interests and irons in the fire, and he'd be rather long in the tooth (for skating) by then. Lysacek hasn't officially retired either, but I'd be surprised to see him back as well, since he really hasn't anything left to win: he's been national, Worlds, Grand Prix, and Olympic champion. And, again, he'd not be the youngest skater there by Sochi either. Plushenko is still insisting he may be competitive in Sochi too, but I'd be even more surprised by that, as he's had too many injuries, and, unlike Johnny and Evan, he has skated in events that have made him ineligible, and he'd have to get reinstated to skate at Sochi.

The pro circuit in the U.S. has, sadly, pretty much died, but it's very active in Asia, which isn't a big surprise given Yu-Na Kim's success and the many serious competitors in ladies's and men's coming out of Japan. China, of course, has become a big factor in pairs too, but I'm not sure what touring possibilities are there. Not as many, surely, as in Japan. A lot of American and Canadian skaters have been warmly received in Japan and Korea.

I'm starting to think Dick is banking on his reputation an aged icon to be allow him to say absolutely anything that occurs to him and get by with it. Surely no one but Dick Button would get by with some of the rest of his comments. I'm actually kind of surprised he agreed to do this show, but perhaps it's because it's on ABC, which has been his home network since Wide World of Sports (which I miss).

I don't think Johnny's cut out for this either. A good replacement for him, should they ever try this again, would be Rudy Galindo, who actually has experience in pairs skating.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hott4hill;4126147;
    This is pissing me off. For the last 3 performances, Johnny has had visible mistakes in his dance and yet has been the highest scorer in the last two rounds.

Rebecca is on another level to the other three. I'm not sure what she has to do for them to be finally satisfied. I worry she is going to get screwed over because of lazy and bad judging. I think it's pretty clear she is the best dancer and I hope America sees that too.

Then again, in the FOX show the far better skater still lost despite it being only the judges score counting.
    I'm afraid they're expecting more from Rebecca because she had some skating experience going in and Johnny didn't. But hey, if that doesn't count on DWTS, then it shouldn't count on SWS either. Her posture, ease of movement etc. is far better than Johnny's, though what he's accomplished is quite impressive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast