+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SWTS 12/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: SWTS 12/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm not the biggest fan of Johnny Weir. However, I do think his comments to Bethenny reflected what he sincerely felt. Yes, they've been harsh on her, but I do think most comments were warranted. She's on a different level from the remaining 2 and if she sticks around, it will be a shame. They've made the same comments to her weekly about the knees, etc. and she never seems to try to improve on them. I think if she had, the judges would have scored her higher.
    I've never understood the Bethenny love out there. I've always found her to be extremely flippant. Her comments about the judges last week were uncalled for. You can make your point, but you can make it in a more tactful way. And, during the run of the Real Housewives of NY, Bethenny was on roller skates and proved herself very competent on them numerous times and, in traffic, no less. And, despite what she says, she did ice skate as a child. Does she have the level of Rebecca? No, certainly not. But, she's not exactly a novice to sports that require intense use of core muscles; pilates and yoga to name 2.
    I'm very sorry to see Brandon leave. I really enjoyed watching him skate.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Bethany I am beginning to not like. She just doesn't improve! She does not have a rhythm or flow on the ice at all. Sure, she can do tricks and stuff, but the space inbetween them is awkward and not really skating. His partner, like Mark Ballas, is really trying hard to make up for her.

Johnny - He really did well this week with all the tricks. Definitely going for the jugular. However he really needs some polish inbetween the moves like Bethany IMO.

Rebecca - Why don't they like her as much as Johnny? I am really perplexed. Sure she may play it "safe", but honestly, she is WAY more well rounded, technically and artistically IMO. I also think her pro has the best routines (2nd would be Keauna) Last week's performance with that song referencing Lola was a step above the rest and she continued the ascent tonight. While Johnny may go risky and give it all he has, he also is playing with fire by trying to pull off so much, so success is not as guaranteed as it will be with Rebecca.

Brandon - No no no! He was one to watch, I loved how he was the youngest too. Now he's just gone. He looked just dead tonight, like you could see the pain on his face. All the life has been zapped from him. I really wish he would have been able to continue since he had the perfect comeback song chosen ("Stronger"). So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4126138;
    This show is such a poor excuse for and rip off of DWTS. I am so glad their finale is next week. The host was left with his mouth hanging open more than once, and for once his co-host couldn't save him. Yuck.
    I have a feeling he's self conscious and trying to please the audiance with what they want to hear, not what he knows might sound ok. Hence, all the awkwardness. He needs to go back to watching how DWTS is hosted.

I couldn't believe they pushed the requirements to lifts, spirals and throws that competition skaters take years to perfect, then expect these amateurs to be spot on immediately. ARGH!
    They always pimp how it's the most dangerous show on TV, I think they want the spills.

I am not liking his partner even more this week and the way they showed her all pouty waiting for Brandon to show up for practice. I know she was probably directed and it was edited to elicit sympathy for her, but then they also had her skate out alone on the ice for the intro and didn't say a word about him until he was brought out on the ice. Why have her skate out alone at the intro...that was dumb.
    It was for those who didn't know that he had already quit. And I don't think she was pouty. If anything, she was probably upset that her time was almost over and there was nothing she could do. I don't think it was directed at him.

Also I was thinking about what happened last week - if Keauna had really gotten sick like she would rather have that WOULD have been the most ideal situation. Could they have stuck Brandon with Vince's partner who was eliminated if she couldn't compete!?
    Last edited by Endit; 12-14-2010 at 04:08 PM.

I was sorry to see Brandon go this week. It should have been Bethenny, leaving the top three to duke it out next week. Bethenny's attitude is really turning me off. I don't see why anyone would pay to watch her do anything.

I was really impressed with Johnny Mosley this week. It is much harder for the guys to get the stability required for the lifts than it is for the girls to be lifted. The girls only need to time the lift right, then hold good body posture in the air. The guy needs to provide the strength and stability as well as to perform turns while supporting the girl. The reason that Johnny was scored higher in the lifts than either of the two remaining women is that neither woman left handled the body posture in the air well. Johnny Mosley also did well on the throw jump - although most of the work on that element was done by Brooke.

Rebecca is starting to gain speed and posture in her skating. Her death spiral left a lot to be desired though. In a proper death spiral the girl is supposed to remain on one skate - not be swung around by her partner. Rebecca also had very poor posture during the tabletop lift. She deserved to be in second place.

If this show survives I think they need to can all three judges. Dick Button is the best of the three, but his non-sequiters (or Buttonisms) are driving me nuts. Johnny Weir is too off the wall for my tastes, and the female judge (I forget her name) makes comments that are just plain worthless or flat out wrong. Please get a judging panel that is both knowledgeable and who speak well. I can suggest several eligible candidates.

On a high note, I love how Tanith Belbin is growing into the co-host role. Each week she is more comfortable in front of the camera. Here comments are spot on and her rapport with the contestants seems to be really good. My only criticism is the "How do you feel about ..." - a hold over from the DwTS co-host role. Maybe that is the one part of the role that is scripted.

No Reality, I also will really miss Brandon. He deserved to be there with Jonny and Rebecca - all of whom have blown me away with what they've accomplished in a very short time.
    As far as Bethany is concerned, I didn't have an opinion about her (or Johnny Weir) before the show. He went too far in his pique towards her behavior but she still was way out of line the previous week. The contestants need to listen to the judges to improve their scores. Their remarks to her (which were similar between the two professional judges) were to help her to improve. Her attitude towards them (what was the comment about they could "stick it..." and her profanity laced rant because they weren't impressed by her) requires an apology and an attitude adjustment.
    I'm surprised her pro hasn't explained to her the facts of being judged in a competition. Did she just expect them to fall at her feet????? Sheesh!

I totally disliked Bethenny on Martha Stewart's version of "The Apprentice" and I dislike her even more on this show. Hopefully, she won't win.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Johnny v. Bethenny is providing some necessary (?) reality TV drama. They have a bit of history together, and some fans say that Johnny is not impartial.

Dancing With The Stars - Johnny Weir Doesn't Hate Bethenny Frankel (Even Though His Friend Jill Zarin Does)

I like both Bethenny and Johnny. I'm disappointed that I just can't stay awake for this show. Five minutes into it, I'm in dreamland. I don't have DVR and there is no recast I can watch later in the week. Bummer.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Poppy,

I'm pretty certain you can watch the entire show online on ABC.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4126615;
    Poppy,

I'm pretty certain you can watch the entire show online on ABC.
    Thanks! I will check this out!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I guess I need to re-define my use of "amateur." I recognize that competition skating in which rankings are posted is for amateurs, but I was thinking more along the lines of Beginner Skater in making my comment.

At least the judges threw up some 9s this week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4126321;
    I too was very surprised to see that the skaters had to do lifts, the death spiral etc...very advanced moves and learn them in one week. It just seemed totally stupid and irresponsible...[snipped]
    I so agree. Bad, bad idea. We're not talking potential sprains or even broken bones here but potential permanent brain damage or paralysis. Let the skaters work on their techniques and individual jumps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast