+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/06 SWTS Show Thread

12/06 SWTS Show Thread

I don't see a thread started for tonight's show; I'll go ahead. It's 9:46 on the east coast so the show must be over. How did it go?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 12/06 SWTS Show Thread

This may have been discussed on the show, but it hasn't aired here yet....TMZ is reported that Jonny Mosely's partner, Brooke Castille, went to the emergency room after she stumbled on the ice, went down and Jonny's skate blade sliced her finger to the bone *shivers*. She said she would still skate tonight - after who knows how many stitches - but YUCK! Poor thing.

Also on TMZ, Brandon went to the ER this morning with what they think was food poisoning. Good grief! This show is turning into an Agatha Christie novel. Who's next!?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Lots of injuries this week.

Rebecca and Fred skated first and their routine was very impressive. Rebecca's trip to the ER yielded the advice to keep ice on her wrist and to rest. She did use ice, but did not rest. I cast three votes for her.

Vince's partner (Jennifer?) took him to an ice rink to see how the children she has taught can skate. It seemed to help and apparently Dick Button has an extra special talent in line with TSA Body Scanners. He claims he could see Vince's inner skater working its way out.

Bethenny had to be bleeped a few times in her rehearsal footage. Tarinth said Bethenny's outfit looked like a wedding dress for her ice husband. She looked much better, but the judges really don't like her (especially compared to the tongue bath they gave to Vince). Judges said it wasn't personal, but I'd say about 50% of it does sound more personal than constructive. They want her to go. Will her voters continue to keep her in the competition, making her SWTS version of Bristol Palin.

Brandon was taken away on a guerney and was puking. Could it be the stomach flu that has been making its way around the East Coast? We were kept on the edge of our seats (NOT!) wondering whether he would be skating this evening. He did not and the judges based their scores on rehearsal footage. It looked like a nice enough routine and he and Keauna got pointers from DWTS Kyle and Lacey. He skates well, but his facial expressions seem to be variations on having his lips in an "O".

Johnny was at the top of the leader board this week. In rehearsal, he tripped Brooke and ended up running over her hand, making her finger into a bloody gusher that required stitches. They did take time out from their exhausting week to ski. Later Johnny said he was tired and my husband - in his 5 minutes of viewing - commented that perhaps if they didn't waste time on the ski slope that they would have had more time to practice in the rink. Two votes cast for Johnny and Brooke. HINT: you now know of at least two couples who made it through this week's elimination.

Finally, we were treated to a dance performance by Tanith and her partner, plus some pro dancers who were promoting the new Narnia film. She's a beautiful skater.

P.S. For those FORTers who follow the Bachelor/ette franchise, I'm pretty sure I saw Jonathon aka "The Weatherman" in the audience.

FORT Regular

I enjoyed Rebecca's skate. She looks so happy on the ice.

Vince looks really happy to skate too. He improved a lot from last week. All the kids he skated with wanted to see his tattoos. hee!

Bethenney made creepy threats in her video package about cutting the judges with her skate blades. She said she didn't care what the judges thought, but then acted excited when they gave her a 7. Overall, she looked less unsteady than last week.

ABC blurred out Brandon's vomit, but chose to show us Jonny skating over his partner's hand and her blood on the ice. I don't understand TV censors at all!

Jonny took his partner skiing, and she was awesome at that too. haha. He really worked on his artistry, and it paid off big time! He gave a really good performance and attempted a double jump.

Keauna was a bit awkward in saying that she wished she was the one who was sick because she would have skated through it. Johnny was also pretty unsympathetic to Brandon's illness even though the doctors recommended that he not skate.

Laurieann made a rude remark to Dick Button after the airing of Brandon's video rehearsal footage. She said she disagreed with him and then said "and I'm an expert" as though he wasn't. I was stunned.

There was a lot of cuteness between Johnny Weir and Dick Button. I love how often they agree, and the way they score so similarly. Laurieann's up to 3 points off in her scoring much of the time. I laughed when Johnny pet Dick's arm. The best Dick Button-ism of the night was him saying he's skating's TSA X-ray machine to Vince Neil, and that he could see his potential. Tanith continues to impress me as a co-host. Vernon's growing on me.

Tanith and Ben were great. She mentioned before skating that some of the contestants didn't know she was a skater. I wonder who?

I went to ABC's SWTS VOTE page before the show was over, and it gave away who was out before the elimination aired on TV. Big web design oops.

Well, I just saw the footage of Brandon being wheeled away in the ambulance and Johnny skating with Brooke. Brandon's vomit was blurred out, but you really didn't see Johnny's skate go over Brooke's hand and the blood was fairly blurred, as well. I'm on the WC, so perhaps they blurred it all??
    Loved Rebecca's opening number.
    Bethenny did better, but I didn't like her comment about the judges. Get over yourself, Bethenny. They're paid to judge you, not kiss your **s!
    Last edited by norealityhere; 12-06-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I only saw parts of tonight's show, but I was stunned that even one of the contestants wouldn't know Tanith was a skater. I'd think you'd have to be at least mildly interested in skating to want to be on the show, and Tanith and Ben are, as the show pointed out, the most decorated ice dancers the U.S. has ever produced. Heck, Tanith and Ben were on the 2010 Olympic team. It's not like she's been retired for years and years.

I did have to snicker when Johnny went on about not taking the judges' comments personally, because he certainly has taken his scores personally over the years. That being said, Bethenny does seem to be the only one who gets truly annoyed by her scores.

Did anyone else immediately think of Nancy Kerrigan when they saw Bethenny's dress?

One of the highlights of the show for me is always waiting to hear what Dick Button says next. I think it might be for Dick as well, because I suspect if he knew what was going to fall out of his mouth ahead of time, he might phrase things differently. I had a fellow skating fan e-mail me tonight specifically to ask if I heard Dick's TSA/x-ray remark.

I'm watching it now, and it is a little strange how they seem extra critical of Bethenny compared to showering Vince Neil with praise. I can't help but think it comes down to them not liking her attitude or demeanor. Vince played with kids on the ice; Bethenny said something about shoving her skate blade where the sun doesn't shine. I was glad she dropped that hyper smile she had plastered on her face last week.

I agree with Valancy that Rebecca just seems happy on the ice. She's got great flow and learning a toe loop in a week is impressive. By the way, Bethenny's was also called a toe loop but it looked like a barely tapped waltz jump to me. It was more like I'd expect an adult learning to figure skate to accomplish in a week.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I usually don't mind the criticisms of judges, however, I do think that Weir is frankly out of line a lot of times when he's criticized. While I do agree that you should treat the judges with respect and not gripe about how they judge or their comments, you don't respond in the same tone back.

Secondly - regarding Brandon: I'm sorry Weir, but different people react differently to being sick. You do not know Brandon's personal background and an illness like that can have a double impact on him. PLUS if he went to the ER/Hospital to be checked out, that means that it most likely WASN'T something you can just "suck it up" and go skate. (Note, I don't know if Brandon has anything that has depressed his immune system that a cold is serious, this is just a debate point I think Weir needs to consider next time).

I personally despised his comments to Brandon's teammate that he was judging on the fact Brandon couldn't compete because he can overcome all these challenges and skate on a dime.

Sometimes - I wonder if that gung-ho attitude is WHY he hasn't earned a medal in the Olympics.

As far as the actual skating - Moseley did great, and I enjoyed Vince's routine as well. Not surprised Vince is out, but at least he did try hard for his age and was able to pick up his partner and do a decent job as well.

I like both Vince and Bethenny, but I quit watching this show because the judges seem too easy on Vince and too hard on Bethenny. Irritating. Call it like it really is and let the voters decide who leaves.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4121553;
    Well, I just saw the footage of Brandon being wheeled away in the ambulance and Johnny skating with Brooke. Brandon's vomit was blurred out, but you really didn't see Johnny's skate go over Brooke's hand and the blood was fairly blurred, as well. I'm on the WC, so perhaps they blurred it all??
    Hmm...I'm on the EC. Maybe I was just cringing so much I thought it was clearer? That was one of my worst fears when I skated as a kid!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast