+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/06 SWTS Show Thread

Re: 12/06 SWTS Show Thread

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4121873;
    I didn't find anything wrong with Keanu's comments about how she wished it were her who'd been struck by illness, as she'd have been able to go on.
    I didn't see it as mean spirited, or one-upmanship, or anything of the sort.
    She is a trained athlete and that's what she would have done, just like Johnny or Dick.
    It didn't imply, IMO, that she was denigrating Brandon for not being able to do the same. It was just an honest comment which I took at face value.
    I agree on the bit with Keanu - I think she was saying it because she wanted to skate and wanted Brandon to be able to skate. It was going to be a lovely program. That's her experience, and I'm sure she even knew that if Brandon was told to not compete, then he shouldn't or she'd not get to skate in the contest anymore.

I found Johnny's comments much more appalling and saying he was taking points EXPLICITLY because Brandon was ordered by the doctors to not compete, making the same comment above. I'm sorry, but that was uncalled for - points off for mistakes in the routine fine, but not because he can't compete.

Seriously - if they go to the hospital, it's more than a simple bug you can get over or suck it up and dance. If Brandon was going to do a lift with Keanu, performed sick and say passed out, it would harm both of them. It was a wiser decision to not compete.

(BTW, before anyone comments about my opinion of Weir - I understand he is a very outspoken skater and has even mocked PETA in things, but there's a difference between HIS life and how HE can do things and how he should judge people's performances or not performing due to THEIR illnesses, which may or may not be something he's dealt with before).

FORT Fogey

I think there's an additional concern with Brandon skating against doctor's orders, had he done that. As the male half of a pair team, he has to lift Keanu. If he dropped her, he could end up injuring her, and I would think that as a very inexperienced skater, the possibility of his dropping her because he was dizzy or nauseous or whatever would be much more likely.

There's also the insurance issue. I'm not sure how SWTS is handling that, but perhaps they'd prefer that a celebrity not risk injury because he/she skated while sick. Also, while they were saying they thought he had food poisoning, i don't know whether they ever established that they were sure that's what it was. If they weren't sure what he had--or weren't sure if he might be contagious--the doctors might have insisted he not compete.

For that matter, if memory serves, Yagudin got food poisoning at Worlds in 1998 and either fell apart in the free skate or had to withdraw altogether. Bad sushi, if I'm remembering correctly. So it's not like food poisoning has never sidelined a skater before. In Torino in 2006, Lysacek also had a dismal short program because he was sick with the flu. He got treatment and intravenous fluids between the short and the free and had a much better free skate, but he said he was still nauseous and dizzy during the freeskate and basically went back to the locker room and collapsed on a bench for a while after his freeskate. If competitors at that level can be so strongly affected by food poisoning or the flu, it's perfectly reasonable that Brandon might not have been able to skate at all.

Keuana not Kaunu. Just sayin...
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4122390;
    Thank you for the clarification, but please next time don't add a remark afterward as some people do find that as a turn off. Her name is hard to spell and even some of the better spellers like myself tend to have trouble with some names.

Still feel even two days later that Weir's comments were out of line though. If this show does manage to have another season, I hope they get someone a little fairer in judging. There are other skaters who are controversial and will add flavor without being ugly for the sake of being ugly to contestants.

I think the British version of this show is much better though - even if I do think Moseley is currently one of the ones to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4122503;
    Thank you for the clarification, but please next time don't add a remark afterward as some people do find that as a turn off. Her name is hard to spell and even some of the better spellers like myself tend to have trouble with some names.

Still feel even two days later that Weir's comments were out of line though. If this show does manage to have another season, I hope they get someone a little fairer in judging. There are other skaters who are controversial and will add flavor without being ugly for the sake of being ugly to contestants.

I think the British version of this show is much better though - even if I do think Moseley is currently one of the ones to beat.
    I think the judging is a bit raw. Especially Laurie Ann. She drives me up the proverbial wall. Johnnie is okay, but I think he is expecting too much out of a bunch of celebrities with little or no skating experience. It took Button, Weir, and the Skating Pros years to learn how to jump and it is a good thing Shawn was kicked off a week before the jumps because her pro is an ice dancer and they don't do jumps in their routines at all. You can't expect these guys to be anywhere close to perfect. As to his judging of Brandon's rehersal footage, the DWTS judges did the same thing to Melissa when she aggrevated a rib injury. The producers/rules allow for celebrity rehearsal footage to be used to keep them in the competition and allow America to decide if they stay/go. I don't imagine any of the judges like the fact that the others showed up despite illness/injury and he didn't. I would expect them to be harsh in scoring because as bad as Bethany and Vince were, they showed up and skated despite all going on in their camps. The judges either need to judge the rehearsal footage at the same standard as the live performances knocking 1 point off for the lack of nerves/no audience pressure thing or they need to change rules to you dance/skate (depending on if DWTS or SWTS) or you're out. Otherwise we have half the viewers mad at Johnnie and the other half mad at Brandon/Keauna.

P.S. I didn't mean anybody to take offense to my correction. However if I was Keauna I would have a problem with people calling me by the name of a male celebrity. There isn't anything wrong with "I'm just sayin..." it is common in TX where I am from. I have never heard anybody have a problem with it. I am careful not to name call and I never cyber bully, so if others have a problem with it, I won't use it next time.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4122390;
    Her name is spelled Keauna.

ETA: I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain that ice dancers do get some training in basic figure skating moves too. At the very least, they have the strength and skill to do them, especially at the level they're performing at on this show. I think Denis would have been just fine with the basic jumps they did this week.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You are right. I often type backwards and opened myself up to it earlier. LOL! I hope so, because I would've hated to have them at a disadvantage to the others in that regard. If not, they may have allowed him to bring in an "expert" like Evan Lysacek or somebody to teach them how to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4122627;
    Her name is spelled Keauna.

ETA: I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain that ice dancers do get some training in basic figure skating moves too. At the very least, they have the strength and skill to do them, especially at the level they're performing at on this show. I think Denis would have been just fine with the basic jumps they did this week.
    I think that you will find that all elite ice dancers are capable of quite good jumps even though they don't use them during their own dance competitions. Most of them start out as high ranking singles skaters before they find a compatible partner. Since we are not talking about landing triple jumps anytime soon in this competition (especially on this postage stamp size rink) they will be able to teach as well as perform the jumps well.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;4122736;
    I think that you will find that all elite ice dancers are capable of quite good jumps even though they don't use them during their own dance competitions. Most of them start out as high ranking singles skaters before they find a compatible partner. Since we are not talking about landing triple jumps anytime soon in this competition (especially on this postage stamp size rink) they will be able to teach as well as perform the jumps well.
    Good to know. Thank you Dancing Dad. Did you used to skate or coach? You seem really knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4122751;
    Good to know. Thank you Dancing Dad. Did you used to skate or coach? You seem really knowledgeable.
    I have skated for over 30 years. I currently teach group ice dancing classes to adults and kids at the local rink. I also still perform in our charity shows. That's me in my avatar skating with my daughter in one of those shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast