+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skating with the Stars; 11/29 episode

FORT Fogey

Skating with the Stars; 11/29 episode

Okay, I'll start. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's skating, and I love skating. I mean, I'd much rather have Landover back, but I'll watch almost anything.

That being said....what on earth has Johnny Weir done to his hair? And why is he wearing something altogether too similar to those hideous old ABC Sports jackets that Dick Button hated?

I thought Moseley's "hey, I'm HAPPY!" attitude was a bit oversold, but what he did technically was pretty amazing, given that he was a non-skater six weeks ago.

Scores were about right...but, oops, Dick can't tell his seven paddle from his eight. Moseley was better technically than he was artistically.

Moseley also needs to watch it if he has a groin strain. Groin pulls have seriously hampered the careers of real skaters because of the stress put on the groin during jumps. I'm guessing at some point that they may want at least a waltz jump out of this group, even if they haven't required any jumps thus far.

Oh, and a tango is one of the suggested dance styles this week? Really? Like anyone who's been watching the Grand Prix series hasn't already seen/heard enough tangos to last a lifetime?

FORT Regular

Re: Skating with the Stars; 11/29 episode

I understand the reasons for lift rules on Dancing with the Stars after watching Bethenney be carried around the ice (Carrie Ann's still crazy with her lift-police routine though). Jonny was pretty good. Vince seems really nice. I hope he gets steadier on his blades soon.

I like Vince, too! He's a real trouper (the recovery from the fall, among other things!) and has a wonderful attitude, which I'm SO glad to see.

Johnny's outfit? Good God! I don't know where or what to key in on first . . . the hair and makeup (hair: something out of a 40s film noir, I guess, or the makeup: Absolutely flawless!), or that hideous jacket. But then again, he is who he is (whoever THAT is!).

Only his mother might know for sure!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I did not really think the judges comments were fair for that skating performance by Rebecca & Fred. They are way better than all the rest of the skaters!

I hope their scores really reflect their performance.

FORT Regular

Johnny's jacket scares me a bit too. heehee

I like that the judges are so encouraging and honest in their comments. I like that Johnny and Dick agree so often, but present their feedback in such different ways. Tanith is so good at giving commentary and interviewing the skaters, especially when compared to Brooke on DWTS.

Brandon and Rebecca are really enjoyable to watch. I keep doing a double-take when I see Keauna. She reminds me so much of Cheryl Burke.

In my opinion they were scored too low - even if they are now on top of the leaderboard.

FORT Fogey

I understood where the judges were coming from when they said that Rebecca didn't quite get the attitude of the tango, but I couldn't believe that they said nothing about the fact that Brandon's tango wasn't, as Len would say, "a proper tango." I realize they're on the ice and allowances must be made for that, but generally speaking, Rebecca's program had more of a true tango flavor than did Brandon's. She didn't act it properly, but she did skate it properly, and it was a tango. Brandon's was more of a hip-hop routine pretending to be a tango. BTW, I knew Dick would bring up his posture, and he should. He was way too hunched over for a tango (or for proper skating posture).

Speaking of Dick, his comments to Bethenny were classic Dick Button. Only Dick could start out by asking, "May I call you Polly Polka Dot? " segue into "Bend ze knees. Five dollars, please" (he said it was a classic figure skating coaching line, but frankly, the picture that leapt to my mind was a French madam explaining to the new girl in the house the first and last steps in transacting a "Lewinsky") and end with a bizarre cooking metaphor involving a creme brulee. Sometimes I wonder if Dick's brain is even aware of what is tumbling out of his mouth.

I was sorry to see Denis go--I know you're not supposed to care so much about the pros, but I hadn't seen him in a while, and considering his partner started out five weeks ago skating with a chair in front of her for balance, he must be some kind of teacher. I know she fell, but still...Besides, people have been winning Grand Prix events collapsing on the ice more often than that, so for her to fall isn't such a big surprise.

Vince really should be the next to go. Personally, he seems like a nice guy who's trying, but he clearly is stiff and cautious out there (and I don't blame his partner, or any of the female pros, for worrying about being dropped--the female "stars" have it much easier, because they can trust the skill level of their partners while they're up there in the air--the odds of them being dropped are much lower).

The top three at this point are pretty obviously Johnny, Brandon, and Rebecca with Rebecca the most accomplished of those three.

Oh, and I appreciate that Dick and Johnny aren't afraid of those three and four paddles but aren't vicious in their comments either. Maybe they should guest judge on DWTS....

FORT Newbie

I wasn't really shocked to see SY go after all the falls. She looked too tall to be a skater.

Vicki

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by vicki211;4116989;
    I wasn't really shocked to see SY go after all the falls. She looked too tall to be a skater.

Vicki
    I was actually a little confused with the voting procedure. Were they taking the votes from last week and then combining them with the judges' scores from this and last week? In that case, the falls wouldn't have counted that much with the audience, but the voters must still have preferred Vince, because SY outscored him in total points from the judges (assuming Vince was the other one in the bottom two). I did appreciate that they didn't mess around with the big dramatic pause before announcing who was out. I always think it's kind of mean to torture the two awaiting possible ousting like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast