+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Skating with the Stars; 11/29 episode

Re: Skating with the Stars; 11/29 episode

Sean Young was gracious in leaving and I love that she gave so much credit and praise to her Pro before she left. She did try hard, but I knew she didn't have the fan base to carry her over to next week.

I don't get the feedback the female judge (not Johnny Weir, the other one) gave to Bethenny and Ethan after her routine. The judge was such a Debbie-Downer, almost like she wants to give the feedback regardless of how the skating looked. She did have some valid points, but I didn't like that she launched right into the negative tone of voice when provided the feedback. I love when they pan to Bethenny's husband Jason after she skates. He looks SO PROUD of her (as he should).

Next two weeks should see us saying goodbye to Vince and then Bethenny. Next should be Brandon, but never underestimate the Disney stars voting bloc and the power of multiple text votes. Johnny is pretty good, too, but this is Rebecca's to lose.

BTW, what is up with the host placing the microphone under the star's face while the feedback is being given? Poor Sean was panting like a dog in the hot August sun.

I like the two sets of scores. Wish DWTS would adopt this every week to separate the leaders from the bottom scorers.

LOVED seeing Dmitry and Rebecca's reaction to learning she was going to meet him. When they panned to Dmitry after the dance, he looked so proud. Wonder if her time on this show will disqualify Rebecca to be a contestant on DWTS some day.

I am surprisingly really enjoying this show (maybe I just have low standards, LOL).

I liked Sean, and I think she is gorgeous! She obviously struggled, though. I'm a bit sad she left so early since I think she had the best pro partner.

Rebecca is just as cute as can be, and I think she is showing lots of talent. I always wondered what the heck she saw in Blob Guiney, though. I guess she wised up and dumped him finally.

I have a huge soft spot for Vince, ever since seeing him on The Surreal Life. He's not the best skater, but I enjoy watching him.

Bethenny - I had never seen her before on anything, just knew her by reputation and wasn't prepared to like her, but I do! I can't imagine just having a baby and then going out and trying to skate, so she rocks!

Jonny - cute eye candy, and fun to watch.

Brandon - not familiar with him previously, but he has a charismatic personality, seems well-matched partner wise, and is a hard worker.

The judges - OK, I am totally enjoying all of them. Johnny Weir cracks me up, and I like that he and Dick give useful feedback at least some of the time, and they praise but also tell the skaters where they need to improve. Even Laurieanne doesn't bug me, although she does tend to go on and on.

Vernon - I don't have any problems understanding him, unlike some. He does need to watch where he moves the microphone, though.

Tanith - love her! She's a little robotic in tone, but I love her analysis, and it's great to see someone who knows what she's talking about, and seems comfortable in front of the camera and chatting with the contestants (unlike some other co-hosts I could name *cough*Brooke*cough*)

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4117952;
    However he expresses himself, Dick Button has the credentials to back it up. I wanted to remember as much as I could about his accomplishments, so I went searching and found the following:

* First skater to land a double axel.[4]
    * First skater to land a triple jump (a triple loop)[4]
    * First male skater to perform the camel spin and inventor of the flying camel spin (also known as the Button Camel, after him)
    * Only American to win the European title.[1]
    * First American World Champion.
    * First American to win the Olympic title in figure skating.
    * First and only American back-to-back Olympic champion in figure skating.[4]
    * First and only male skater to simultaneously hold all the following titles: National, North American, European, Worlds, and Olympics.[4]
    * Youngest man to win the Olympic title in figure skating (age 18).[4]

He won 2 Olympic Golds, 5 World Golds and 1 Silver, 1 European Championship Gold, 3 North American Championship Golds and 9 U.S. Championship Golds (1 as a novice, 1 as a Junior, and 7 as a Senior..
    Totally awesome stats, thanks Florimel. but how can an American win the European title? Where the rules different back in the day?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4118371;
    Totally awesome stats, thanks Florimel. but how can an American win the European title? Where the rules different back in the day?
    Yes, rules were different back then. Europeans was run more like Four Continents back then, with the exception that it was basically just two continents--North America and Europe--that were providing the contestants.

I concur with a lot of people here that the show is growing on me now. I liked this past week much better than the 1st week.

I knew Miss Young was not going to survive the cut. I kind of felt bad for her, as she really had no clue how to skate, but she definitely tried much harder this week. She almost hit her head on the ice on one of the tumbles. I am glad she went for it. It must be hard on the pros when they get someone like that, since they know they have an almost impossible task.

I may be wrong about this.....but the one real negative thing I can say about Miss Young, and again I may be totally mistaken here....but I could have sworn that I just saw her on another reality cable show where some sort of "personal life coach" type person is trying to save her celebrity/Hollywood career. If this is the same woman as who I saw on that other show, then her past selfish behavior and drinking problems sure did not make me think any more highly of her. She sure looked like her and I could have sworn the same last name, but just not really sure. Wondering if anybody else saw that other show to confirm or not.

As far as the other contestants, I guess I am rooting for Mosely(the skiier guy), since I remember when he won the Mogul competition years ago. It was very exciting to see him win for the US. His skiing skills do give him quite an advantage over other people who have never skiied or skated before. I think he is still purposely holding back a little, and I think he has actually ice skated quite a bit before (recreationally), as winter sports people usually will manage to do some ice skating. I am just guessing here, but it does seem obvious to me that he is purposely trying to make himself look more of a beginner than he really is on the skates.

I also like a couple of the woman skaters as well. It seems like they all improved quite a bit. Its official....I am hooked on watching every week. Its turning into a neat show + much more exciting than some other shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234