+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skating with the Stars; 11/29 episode

Re: Skating with the Stars; 11/29 episode

Quote Originally Posted by Annastasia B;4117178;
    I tried to watch it again this week but can only get through a couple of skaters and then I have to turn the channel.
    I put it on pause for quite awhile and fast forwarded through most of it. I really only watched the intro to skaters, the skating and the judges comments and then scores. It was a much better show that way!

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I enjoy the rehearsal moments. Especially this week when Rebecca was over the moon that Dmitri from DWTS was going to help them with their tango.

I feel for Sean. The viewer votes just weren't there. She tried and she left with graciousness.

My favorite pairs are still the top three. Obviously I'm not alone in liking them as the audience voted the most for them as well as the judges scoring them. That over the back drop Rebecca did was just stunning.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

With as few reality shows as I watch, I expected to enjoy this one, and I am. It was clear last week that Brandon, Johnny, and Rebecca would stand out as the probable finalists.

I do like Johnny and Dick Button as judges. They know what they're talking about and they give constructive critiicism. I don't like the choreographer as a judge. She clearly knows dance, but I don't see her relating it well to figure skating and I find a lot of her comments without meaning or merit.

Sean Young is quite a good actress; anyone who hasn't seen Blade Runner really should. I've heard over the years that she's not particularly well liked by those working with her, but that was a while ago. I do admire her for trying, but she isn't cut out for figure skating and I don't mind that she went first.

Bethenny and Vince will be the next two to go, and I wouldn't really mind seeing Bethenny go first. With Vince'skating background, he may be able to get some of it back. I suspect the years of rock star lifestyle has damaged his equilibrium.

I was happy to see Tanith doing the co-hosting; I thought she's be good and she is. I think she and Evan Lysacek are no longer a couple -- it might have been a bit awkward it they were still together with not much love being lost between Johnny and Evan.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Don't like the judging panel. Dick should be in the middle not Johnny Weir. It's as if they are giving Johnny Weir precedence over Dick Button. After all Dick Button has been around along time and deserves the respect based on age and experience. Besides it feels more balanced visually. I know the the set and the judge's panel seems copied from DWTS, but I am not feeling the appropriate mix from the judges. Johnny is not Bruno Tonelli. I also feel I keep wanting to say Carrie Ann is too forceful, or wants too much from none dancers/figure skaters.

Tanith Beldon (sp?) really did a good job this episode as a commentator and interacting with the contestants. I too think she should take over Brook Burke's job with DWTS's. Personally, I think Brooke does a worst job than Samantha did.

Sad to see Sean Young go, as I thought Vince was the worst figure skater, but he probably has a larger fan following.

Oh, get Johnny a better stylist, his outfits are atrocious. You can be over the top without looking like a clown.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4117679;
    Don't like the judging panel. Dick should be in the middle not Johnny Weir. It's as if they are giving Johnny Weir precedence over Dick Button. After all Dick Button has been around along time and deserves the respect based on age and experience. Besides it feels more balanced visually. I know the the set and the judge's panel seems copied from DWTS, but I am not feeling the appropriate mix from the judges. Johnny is not Bruno Tonelli. I also feel I keep wanting to say Carrie Ann is too forceful, or wants too much from none dancers/figure skaters.

Tanith Beldon (sp?) really did a good job this episode as a commentator and interacting with the contestants. I too think she should take over Brook Burke's job with DWTS's. Personally, I think Brooke does a worst job than Samantha did.

Sad to see Sean Young go, as I thought Vince was the worst figure skater, but he probably has a larger fan following.

Oh, get Johnny a better stylist, his outfits are atrocious. You can be over the top without looking like a clown.
    It's Tanith Belbin, and she started doing a little announcing work even last year at World's. She and her partner Ben Agosto retired after the Olympics.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4117474;
    With as few reality shows as I watch, I expected to enjoy this one, and I am. It was clear last week that Brandon, Johnny, and Rebecca would stand out as the probable finalists.

I do like Johnny and Dick Button as judges. They know what they're talking about and they give constructive critiicism. I don't like the choreographer as a judge. She clearly knows dance, but I don't see her relating it well to figure skating and I find a lot of her comments without meaning or merit.

Sean Young is quite a good actress; anyone who hasn't seen Blade Runner really should. I've heard over the years that she's not particularly well liked by those working with her, but that was a while ago. I do admire her for trying, but she isn't cut out for figure skating and I don't mind that she went first.

Bethenny and Vince will be the next two to go, and I wouldn't really mind seeing Bethenny go first. With Vince'skating background, he may be able to get some of it back. I suspect the years of rock star lifestyle has damaged his equilibrium.

I was happy to see Tanith doing the co-hosting; I thought she's be good and she is. I think she and Evan Lysacek are no longer a couple -- it might have been a bit awkward it they were still together with not much love being lost between Johnny and Evan.

Tanith and Evan are most definitely no longer together. In fact, Tanith has been dating Charlie White, of Davis and White, the Olympic silver medalists in ice dance.

However he expresses himself, Dick Button has the credentials to back it up. I wanted to remember as much as I could about his accomplishments, so I went searching and found the following:

* First skater to land a double axel.[4]
    * First skater to land a triple jump (a triple loop)[4]
    * First male skater to perform the camel spin and inventor of the flying camel spin (also known as the Button Camel, after him)
    * Only American to win the European title.[1]
    * First American World Champion.
    * First American to win the Olympic title in figure skating.
    * First and only American back-to-back Olympic champion in figure skating.[4]
    * First and only male skater to simultaneously hold all the following titles: National, North American, European, Worlds, and Olympics.[4]
    * Youngest man to win the Olympic title in figure skating (age 18).[4]

He won 2 Olympic Golds, 5 World Golds and 1 Silver, 1 European Championship Gold, 3 North American Championship Golds and 9 U.S. Championship Golds (1 as a novice, 1 as a Junior, and 7 as a Senior..
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

For those of you commenting about Johnny Weir's attire: According to his twitter account, he was wearing "vintage Chanel" on Monday night. I believe he said the same about his Kentucky Derby jacket, and I thought that was awful too, so either I have no taste at all or Chanel had her off-days just like everyone else (or Johnny's wearing her stuff in some way other than how she meant it to be worn).

I assume the "vintage Chanel" comment referred to his jacket. He can't use that excuse for the hair.

My mom used to say that some people can wear a potato sack and look good.
    If that was vintage Chanel, then Coco is rolling around in hea*en right now! And, so is Jackie O!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by ness;4116933;
    I like Vince, too! He's a real trouper (the recovery from the fall, among other things!) and has a wonderful attitude, which I'm SO glad to see.

Johnny's outfit? Good God! I don't know where or what to key in on first . . . the hair and makeup (hair: something out of a 40s film noir, I guess, or the makeup: Absolutely flawless!), or that hideous jacket. But then again, he is who he is (whoever THAT is!).

Only his mother might know for sure!
    His mother or the next TSA agent that screens him at the airport!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast