+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 11/22 Premiere Show Discussion

Re: 11/22 Premiere Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4113580;
    ....The "older gentleman in the middle" is Dick Button...
    Thanks Tilden for all the good information on Dick Button. I knew I saw him before, and now I know who he is. I now remember him from seeing him before a long time ago.

I guess these shows have to have at least one judge that is not going to purposely nice to all the contestants. The female judge is the type of judge that comes across as one who will always try to say nice things no matter how bad someone does. I guess it is good to have a mix of judges personalities. If we had all 3 judges who were always going to be extremely nice, that probably wouldn't be good either. It would be kind of funny if all 3 were rough + tough judges. That would be interesting. People probably wouldn't like that too much though.

This would be a much better show if it were about roller derby instead of figure skating.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Regular

I am a Canadian so I've had the opportunity to watch The Battle Of The Blades which like someone here said is far, far superior than Skating With The Stars. I tried watching SWTS but just couldn't even get past the first skater. This is such a yawner and a waste of time. First of all, who are these pro skaters? I haven't heard of them and the supposedly "stars". Seriously.

Do they use pre-recorded music for the show? It sounded like regular songs, but some of them covered by other than the original artist.

I'm thinking that skating, even more so than dancing, would need the recorded music due to the acoustics in the rink potentially interfering with the timing of the choreography.

Re: Skating with the Stars; 11/22 episode

Unpopular opinion alert: I really, really liked it. Too bad it didn't start off on the right foot with other FoRTers. It also didn't do too well in the ratings; it averaged a total of 9.4 million viewers. But hopefully it can do better next week with its regular, earlier timeslot.

I think their pick of professionals was good. I don't think they should have gone with the more well-known skaters. They tried that out in FOX's Skating with Celebrities--look where that show is now. Plus, some viewers would probably vote for the professional rather than the billed celebrity.

I'm also fine with the judges. But I'm probably biased because I love Laurieann from her Making the Band days (boom kak!). My only qualm is that Johnny seems very reserved on the panel. I expected his personality to shine, but we only saw a few glimpses of it throughout the show.

My favorites so far are Rebecca/Fred and Jonny/Brooke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4111841;
    I don't know him, but maybe he's the announcer from the original British version of the show?
    I'm not too sure of SwtS's origins, but I believe that it isn't based off a British show. If it were, the British equivalent would be Dancing on Ice. But that airs on ITV, a rival network to BBC which airs Strictly Come Dancing (DwtS's originator). Plus, I read that the American version of DoI was FOX's Skating with Celebrities. The only commonality I can see between DoI and SwtS (besides the obvious skating aspect) is that Fred was a professional for DoI before coming to SwtS. If anything, I think SwtS is more so a skating version of DwtS which ABC wanted after seeing the massive success of the DwtS.

Speaking of the host, was I the only one that had close to no problems with Vernon? In retrospect, the great amount of compliments he gave is a bit weird, but during the show I saw no problem with them. But I thought he did a fine job for a premiere show.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4116183;
    Unpopular opinion alert: I really, really liked it. Too bad it didn't start off on the right foot with other FoRTers. It also didn't do too well in the ratings; it averaged a total of 9.4 million viewers. But hopefully it can do better next week with its regular, earlier timeslot.

I think their pick of professionals was good. I don't think they should have gone with the more well-known skaters. They tried that out in FOX's Skating with Celebrities--look where that show is now. Plus, some viewers would probably vote for the professional rather than the billed celebrity.

I'm also fine with the judges. But I'm probably biased because I love Laurieann from her Making the Band days (boom kak!). My only qualm is that Johnny seems very reserved on the panel. I expected his personality to shine, but we only saw a few glimpses of it throughout the show.

My favorites so far are Rebecca/Fred and Jonny/Brooke.

I'm not too sure of SwtS's origins, but I believe that it isn't based off a British show. If it were, the British equivalent would be Dancing on Ice. But that airs on ITV, a rival network to BBC which airs Strictly Come Dancing (DwtS's originator). Plus, I read that the American version of DoI was FOX's Skating with Celebrities. The only commonality I can see between DoI and SwtS (besides the obvious skating aspect) is that Fred was a professional for DoI before coming to SwtS. If anything, I think SwtS is more so a skating version of DwtS which ABC wanted after seeing the massive success of the DwtS.

Speaking of the host, was I the only one that had close to no problems with Vernon? In retrospect, the great amount of compliments he gave is a bit weird, but during the show I saw no problem with them. But I thought he did a fine job for a premiere show.
    I concur with everything you've written. Totally makes sense. I enjoyed the first epiosode and like all new shows it's going to have some problems.

If the show does ride it out and is renewed whose to say these `unknown' professionals won't garner a following? Very few people knew the pro dancers on DWTS when it premiered years ago, and as i recall the shows music in the begining wasn't always the best-but you have to start somewhere and that's what is happenign with this show.
    I'm enjoying it and hope the execs give it time.
    hey, I'm impressed with the `stars' as skaiting in sync to music is imo, far more difficult, in some respects, than dancing. To a degree it is apples and oranges, but still, I think it takes a bit more courage to strap on skates and trust your partner isn't going to drop you. Coordiantion is a whole other issue when ice is involed, particulalry on a psychological level.
    Anyhow, I enjoyed the first episode.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

somehow my original post ended up under the recap episode, whatever, late repost to get it in the right place. don't care

I quite like this show. Loved the opening performance. At first, I was unsure and wasn't gonna watch it, but I gave it time and now am impressed. I have a history of not being able to quit shows though so that may be my strength. I may go on hiatus or forget, but I always come back to things.

I think one of the main problems is that we're holding it to the same standard as DWTS. It's not DWTS! It's got an icy (how fitting, and no pun intended), odd demeanor, compared to the full on family style warmth of DWTS. I don't actually mind the judges at all either.

Yes, Laurieann Gibson is crazy. But that's probably why they chose her. I think it's nice to get another person on the panel though whose so radically different. And while Dick Button's voice sounds just indescribable (movie like?) and he has weird ways of forming sentences, we need to remember this is a different show. The DWTS archetypes can't always apply, it's like some unspoken rule that everybody is trying to apply and it just doesn't work. It isn't some law of the universe. I don't think most will give it a chance though, but so far I was surprised by liking it.

Speaking on Dick Button, one of the things I noticed about him was that he has a habit of listing positives AND negatives very close in sentences without using words like "but" to separate them (funny since but is in his name too), and IMO that has a lot to do with what we're hearing. Usually people contrast things with but/however/if/except, but he just combines the two. I do like that he tries to give each person a clear goal at the end to work on though.

Keauna McLaughlin looked like a clone of Cheryl Burke to me too (and I was like "Woah!", I love picking up on alternate people) at first, but if you look closer, you can see the difference. It reminds me in like comedy sketches, when they need somebody to impersonate a celebrity they pull out all the stops in hair, makeup, and wardrobe, but the final thing to seal the deal for it to be convincing is always the camera work. You cannot get too close or be too "revealing" otherwise the gig's up. This is what I think Keauna has going for her.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer;4111829;
    Who is that announcer? I can't understand a word he is saying..
    I was saying the same thing. Also the side kick microphone is terrible. She sounds like she's in a phone booth.

I voted for Bethanny...love her!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456